This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » The New and "Improved" FIFA rankings (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The New and "Improved" FIFA rankings
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall Guinea ever playing anyone outside Africa.

EDIT -- actually, a quick google reveals that their first ever international was against East Germany, for some bizarre reason.

[ 12.07.2006, 20:41: Message edited by: Citizen Smith 2.0 ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got those rankings from some news site I can't find anymore. The FIFA site ones (from July 12) are here, and at a first glance they seem to be exactly the same, with Guinea ahead of Ghana.

[ 12.07.2006, 22:55: Message edited by: bryannavaro ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have to say, looking at that new explanation, it almost adds up to what I would have come up with. A sensible weighted time average (100-50-30-20 for last four years), a much better recognition of different competitions (1.00 for friendlies up to 4.00 for World Cup finals games), and best of all, for intra-continental matches outside World Cup finals, a straightforward weighting based on, and I quote, "wins per game in last 3 World Cups".

I'm suddenly finding it hard to question the relative positions, except - obviously - Portugal and then Germany have suffered to a real extent by not having had two years of earning 2x the points every time they stuff Azerbaijan in a qualifier. I bet if FIFA corrected that mind-blowingly obvious flaw (perhaps by simply awarding them 200 points or whatever is the average extra earnt by major tournament qualifiers as opposed to hosts), both those countries would nestle in above England, which would make this ranking virtually spot on. Still don't understand the African teams' relative rankings though.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC