This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » NYPD (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NYPD
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes ursus, San Gennaro Theme Park sounds about right. Or the Italy section of Epcot Center. You can tell no one lives there, and the waitresses all come from Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge etc.

However, the tiramisu's the best, the espresso's the strongest, and it's a beautiful place to sit on a summer night. It's the closest sidewalk cafe experience in the city.

E10-Yeah, Jamison's was a block away from Paddy O'Reillys (the place that Black 47 always played at.) That probably explains the craziness.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Mrs E, Toronto's Little Italy partied for months on end after the '82 win. So there's a difference, right there. There's "distinctively Canadian" for you.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, have you ever eaten in Liddliddly, though? The meal I had there was quite shockingly poor. (Sample size of one, I know, but still, the restaurant was recommended in the guide book, and every poor meal you eat in New York is a wasted opportunity to eat a great meal.)
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had some good cannoli when I was in Little Italy.

And I'm not sure if Lombardi's on Spring qualifies as Little Italy, but it's the best pizza on the planet.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wyatt, the best places to eat in Little Italy are all "social clubs" for "plumbing supply salesmen" like Mr. Gotti. And you have to like red sauce.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't speak for liddlidaly, but the best Italian meal I ever had (and it has some serious competition from the time I actually lived in Italy) was in North Beach, San Francisco
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some tourist traps in North Beach, but there are also some terrific (generally smaller) restaurants that know how to take advantage of locally-available ingredients.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree Wyatt, a lot of the restaurants are HORRIBLE. But again, that's the theme parkization of the place as they try to catch a few rubes. Luckily a lot more are advertising their Zagat's rating. We rarely go to Lil'Italy, but when we do we usually eat in Chinatown. It's easy to find good food there: Look in the windows to see if locals are eating there.

Sorry to keep bringing up the Ironbound, but some of the Portuguese food over there is better than some restaurants in Portugal. That's why I don't pay the $6 at the Holland Tunnel. And one of the best Italian restaurants I've ever eaten is 5 minutes from my house: www.sotto128.com. So there's really no point.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC