This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » 'Pro-Hitler Jig' Threat Averted (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 'Pro-Hitler Jig' Threat Averted
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From The Guardian;

quote:
Grand prix priest held over planned Hitler demo

Neil Horan, the former Irish priest who invaded the marathon at the Athens Olympics, is being held in a German prison after he was arrested ahead of a "pro-Hitler" demonstration. Horan had planned to light a candle in memory of Hitler, give readings and do a jig outside the Olympic Stadium in Berlin before the World Cup final. Before Horan could begin he was arrested and is still being held in custody. His family is liaising with the authorities through the Irish embassy in Berlin to try to secure his release, although he is expected to stand trial within a few weeks.

In 2004 Horan achieved worldwide notoriety at the Olympics when he ran from the crowd of spectators and assaulted the leader Vanderlei de Lima, costing the Brazilian the race. He had previously run in front of formula one cars at Silverstone - leading to the nickname of the "grand prix priest".

Horan was stripped of his position in the Roman Catholic church for using sermons to promote his belief that the end of the world is nigh.

[ 14.07.2006, 23:39: Message edited by: Nishlord ]

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish he'd try running out onto a gran prix course again. Maybe then he'd get run over.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did call for him to get the lethal injection after the Athens Incident. But nooooooooooo.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this bloke's still allowed out, even on day release. He's a walking (well, sometimes running naked) advert for the termination of the "lives" of complete nutters.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That guy is the one that the dancing priest (played by Graham Norton) in Father ted is based on.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Villain
Member # 468

- posted      Profile for Villain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, great stuff.

More mad, and more random than Jimmy Jump.

Posts: 2049 | From: Croydon init | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did he actually "cost the Brazilian the race", as that Guardian article says?
Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Toys R Us Stadium
Member # 1306

- posted      Profile for The Toys R Us Stadium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Rugby-tackled him into the crowd, after which De Lima couldn't get his rhythm back in time to get the gold.
Posts: 74 | From: Hove, actually. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I remember it well. But it might also fall into the 'underarm' category, when the incident, and the reaction to it, obscured the fact that Brian McKechnie was not likely to hit a six anyway. Similarly, the Brazilian was already being caught.

We'll never know, of course. But this should be part of any thorough preparation for major sports events, given that winning the media contest is now officially more important than winning the event itself: making sure that as soon as your chances of winning start to fade, you have undercover agents there to help you become the Moral Winner and available for future TV commercials and anniversary interviews every 5 or 10 years, long after the actual winner's name has been forgotten.

The world cares about who got robbed; only your Mum cares who won. It's not the victory, it's the story.

[/tabloid editor]

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the report doesn't mention is that this nutter was also done for kiddy fiddling when he was a priest.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That guy is the one that the dancing priest (played by Graham Norton) in Father ted is based on.
The dancing priest wasn't played by Graham Norton.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But it might also fall into the 'underarm' category, when the incident, and the reaction to it, obscured the fact that Brian McKechnie was not likely to hit a six anyway.
That's quite a cricket hijack. I've said before, I think it was wrong to ban underarm deliveries because there were once wicket-taking underarm bowlers and there could have been again. All that needed to be banned was the daisy cutter.

As the bowler was Trevor Chappell, not impossible that he might have hit a six.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The dancing priest wasn't played by Graham Norton.
Depends which dancing priest. The priest who did Riverdance with the kids in the caravan was played by Graham Norton.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, but there was another priest whose whole thing was being a dancing priest. Graham Norton's whole thing was being a really annoying priest, who happens to do Riverdance in one scene. So, when one speaks of "the dancing priest in Father Ted", Graham Norton isn't the one it should refer to. Come on, you know I'm right.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" Father Liam Finnegan, the famous 'Dancing Priest'. His untimely demise (from a heart attack, natch) in TFFT provided Ted with the unexpected bequest of a car. If only Father Jack hadn't decided to drive it to the off-licence... "

" Father Noel Furlong, an extremely camp priest who leads a youth group. Intensely irritates Ted, and drives Dougal mad (Hell). Later turns up as guardian of Father Fintan Fay. (FiT) "

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC