This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Bruce on the loose (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bruce on the loose
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the USA could qualify in a combined Americas region, depending on how many slots were alloted.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it would be too different. At this World Cup, maybe Uruguay would have qualified instead of Trinidad & Tobago (but it would be close run), but the US and Costa Rica were certainly better than Paraguay. Long term, it would help the US, Costa Rica and even the likes of Honduras, Jamaica and Canda if they were adapting to player stronger sides more often - similar to Australia's move to the Asian group.

As a side thought, what happens to the rest of Oceania? Do we end up in a situation where New Zealand and Fiji end up playing each other for the right to meet a South American side every four years? Would that mean New Zealand would then take the Australia route in the hope they could try and take the Saudi's place? 1982 may have been a golden generation (I honestly don't know), but Asia & Oceania qualified together, and New Zealand looked a lot stronger than Kuwait did (both went to Spain, at the expense of China and Saudi Arabia in the last qualifying group). Admittedly, that ignores the improvement of South Korea, Iran and Japan (and even the Saudi's and China), but it would make some of the qualifiers less certain.

At the moment, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, US, Japan and South Korea are too strong for their continents, and are virtual qualifiers (only Germany from UEFA have qualified for every tournament in my lifetime, and even then they've had byes for five of them), mixing things up can only help the diversity of World Cup entrants.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're all going to have to wait for Jack Warner to die (he's currently 61 or 62) before the thought of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merging can even be remotely entertained. He's got a vast amount of vested fiscal and contractual interests tied to the idea of CONCACAF remaining a separate power bloc within FIFA, to put it mildly.

If the two confederations were merged in the morning with, say, seven or eight qualifying places on offer, you could see the USA and Mexico comfortably making it at the expense of the likes of Peru and Chile, certainly if the current league group format were retained. On current form and playing strength, though, all the other CONCACAF nations would be near-certainties to get swept aside.

But overall it would be a great idea. In the medium and long terms it would be just what the likes of Honduras, Canada and El Salvador need.

[ 17.07.2006, 02:06: Message edited by: Citizen Smith 2.0 ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arno Heinz Granitza
Member # 1379

- posted      Profile for Arno Heinz Granitza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will never happen since the likes of Chile, Venezuela, Peru, Paraguay and Bolivia would be opposed to the idea as well as CONCACAF countries like Honduras, Canada, and Jamaica. I think if such a merger were actually put to a vote there would be very few countries in either confederation that would actually vote for it.
Posts: 209 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had a standing Copa America invitation since 1995, but turned it down due to not wanting to disrupt MLS by sucking players out for months on end to play Gold Cup AND Copa America. The 2007 schedule is particularly tricky like that, as Copa America starts 2 days after Gold Cup ends in June, and this Gold Cup winner goes to the Confederations Cup which for some reason US Soccer highly rates. However, Sunil Gulati has made noises about returning to Copa America in 2007 recently, and hopefully he goes through with it.

The ideal solution would be for both Gold Cup and Copa America to be played every four years like the Euros, but who knows if that will ever happen.

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ideal solution would be for both Gold Cup and Copa America to be played every four years like the Euros, but who knows if that will ever happen.
Exactly. The Copa America should be like in 2004--right after the Euros. Then the Gold Cup could be the summer after the World Cup, to avoid Copa America (under this ideal system), and the Confederations Cup in the year before the World Cup.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The US has played in the Copa twice. It sent a fairly diluted team to Ecuador in 1993, preferring to focus on the window-dressed "US Cup" as part of the run-up to 1994, and they lost all three of their group matches.

The 1995 performance in Uruguay was much better, as JV has pointed out. The Yanks reached the semifinals, aided by that 3-0 win over Argentina (who for that match rather arrogantly rested nine from their first eleven). I suspect that win was what ultimately removed the "interim" from Sampson's job title.

Given the CONCACAF nations' performance in Germany this summer, an amalgamated Gold Cup/Copa America might offer the US and its neighbours better World Cup preparation. The States more or less waltzed through qualifying (admittedly, the first time that's ever happened), but playing Costa Rica and Guatemala will never be the same as playing Argentina and Brazil.

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what, if any, role tv could have in all of this. As I recall, that 1995 tournament wasn't on any normally available tv channel and whatever tournament it was where we beat Brazil was also not really available. The US Cup, if nothing else, usually gets on ESPN or ESPN2, I think, so that might be why USS oversells it.

The TV coverage of the Gold Cup and Confederations Cup is pretty crap too, if I recall correctly. It seems like we're always playing Saudi Arabia in a quarter-full stadium with a tv broadcast that sounds and looks like it's being beemed in from Pluto.

So perhaps if ESPN/ABC would show the matches at a reasonable hour, they could persuade US Soccer to play in Copa America. The promise of the US team plus some games with Brazil and Argentina could bring in some of these people that provided some surprisingly good ratings for the World Cup. I think the casual fan will be able to relate to the notion of "Championship of the whole damn hemisphere" and accept that as a big deal.

CONCACAF doesn't have enough big countries/good teams to field a good tournament so they have to throw in a few non-American countries. It just doesn't have the gravitas of something like the Euro or Copa America, and don't think it ever could.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brucie just signed as head coach and "soccer director" of the Swamplands Crap Energy Drinks.

A match made in heaven.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arno Heinz Granitza
Member # 1379

- posted      Profile for Arno Heinz Granitza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A clever career move by Arena. They have been so bad for so long that any improvement will be creditied to Bruce.
Posts: 209 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. So much for Europe. At least go to Salzburg Crap Energy Drinks.

I haven't even clicked on the website since the name change, haven't even clicked on MLSnet.com (worst fucking website name ever) since the name change. What I was about to do with Juventus, I've done with that team in the Meadowlands.

I can't explain how disgusted I am with this sport. Hopefully I'll move to LA or DC, and I can be a fan again (being that I have an exclusive deal with cheering for New Jersey/my home state/city teams.) Anyway, the point of this is I will not go to see Bruce Arena there. Not even if they name the new stadium the Bruce Arena instead of the Red Balls Arena.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Move to Los Angeles...you know you want to. You can have new ethnic neighborhoods to watch games in.

I too think MLSnet.com is a dumb name, though it would be even dumber if it was MLSnet.net. Always cracked me up that the website for the movie Fear Dot Com was www.feardotcom.com

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost think Mlsnet.com is worse. You hear MLS Net, you think MLS.net, which would be lame but understandable. You have no idea how many times I put MLS.com, or MLS.net, until I remember, "oh yeah, there are complete shit-for-brained nincompoops running this thing."

LA is a slight possibility, as mrs. v is considering applying to Berkerly and UCLA. And the Galaxy are a definite possibility if I end up there. But you can shove a live grenade covered in Tabasco Sauce up my ass before I ever cheer for the Lakers.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Don't worry, you cant jump on the Clippers bandwagon--the Clippers are cool now. I've seen a lot of Clipper Nation shirts.
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So perhaps if ESPN/ABC would show the matches at a reasonable hour, they could persuade US Soccer to play in Copa America. The promise of the US team plus some games with Brazil and Argentina could bring in some of these people that provided some surprisingly good ratings for the World Cup. I think the casual fan will be able to relate to the notion of "Championship of the whole damn hemisphere" and accept that as a big deal.
1995 might have been the tip of an iceberg. There were, apparently, a lot of American soccer fans who knew what the Copa represented and were rather peeved at the lack of media attention it received in their own country back then - and that was eleven years ago.

A number of my soccer-ambivalent friends in the US have told me that this was the first time they really got excited about the World Cup, and I gather something like 20,000 Americans attended matches in Germany. The sportswriters who were in their 30s and 40s when the NASL balloon began to inflate are now nearing retirement (or dead), and the current generation will have seen a US presence in five consecutive World Cups - only one of which was held in their own backyard.

So I'm with you, Reed - the time may be right for a Championship of the Western Hemisphere, or "New World" Cup (2006 The Exploding Vole). The current political objections would be easily overcome given enough trolleyloads of money and lavish junkets.

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC