This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » Bruce on the loose (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bruce on the loose
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon a 16-team Euro bracket would work. It would pretty much guarantee at least 8 South American teams along with Mexico-US-Costa Rica, with the last 5 spots to be battled out by Canada-Jamacia-T&T-Honduras-El Salvador-Venezuela-Panama-Cuba & Haiti.

And the almighty Netherlands Antillies.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question I have - is there any sort of qualification stage for Copa America (is there one for the Gold Cup?)

I think a New World Cup would be a cool event, but even with by expanding the two confederations, I don't think there'd be enough quality teams for the qualifiers to be interesting. Maybe that's ok.

I also think there should be a micro World Cup where really small nations can play. I think it was Dominique or one of those that that less than 100 players in their whole federation.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No qualification for Copa America. There's only 10 teams in CONMEBOL, so no need. It wasn't until the 90's that they took to inviting foreigners to make a more even 12 out of it, and that was mostly because they wanted Mexican TV money.
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently there are 40 member nations of CONCACAF, five of whom curiously aren't members of FIFA.

A sixteen-team New World Cup would seem to be in order.

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S. aureus
Member # 949

- posted      Profile for S. aureus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana aren't in CONMEBOL?
Posts: 2324 | From: Pharmageddon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They've always identified with the Caribbean. Or at least I think someone told me that years ago.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surinam is Dutch, and French Guiana is not a misnomer. Florent Malouda is from there, as was former PSG/France goalie Lama. So those territories don't compete for the world cup, although I think they sometimes play for regional tournaments (Guadeloupe and Martinique are also territories, but they field teams in regional competitions).
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Linus points out, Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana (and Reunion in the Indian Ocean) are Departments Outre Mer (the "DOM" in "DOM-TOM") and are considered an integral part of France (they have representatives in Parliament, can vote for the European Parliament, etc).

In football terms, in addition to supplying a disproportionate number of internationals (Tresor, Thuram (both Guadeloupe), Dhorassoo (Reunion), etc.) they are probably most widely known for each having one club parachuted into the first round proper of the French Cup, where the usual case is that two French teams get nice trips to play on an island in the middle of the French winter, while two DOM teams get trips to France, where their matches (often played at St. Ouen, Colombes or one of the other "suburban" Parisian stadia) attract large and very animated crowds of emigres. One of the better days out in French football, those.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guyana's Caribbean outlook can be seen by it's attitude to cricket. Boruda in Georgetown is the only Test cricket venue in South America, and Guyanese like Chanderpaul and Sarwan play for the West Indies side.

So there is that sort of cultural hertiage behind Guyana's membership of CONCACAF. There may also be good football reasons for prefering to play against CONCACAF sides rather than the likely pain of entering the CONEMBOL qualifying series.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC