This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World Cup » In the wake of the World Cup ... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: In the wake of the World Cup ...
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That cartoon's wrong. 'How the rest of the world sees American Football' would consist of a bit of running or throwing, then a load of adverts, some women dressed as paedo-bait, someone waving on a bench, and then some action again. Repeated over and over and over. It would have to be the size of the Bayeux Tapestry.

No coincidence that the NFL boom in this country died on its arse when Channel 4 started screening live games in their entirety in the late 80s.

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nish, spot on. One day they'll show - actually show - live surfing, as well, instead of thirty-second highlight slo-mo montages played to Green Day music. Jesus wept, it's dull. It makes golf look like a demolition derby.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edie
Member # 1259

- posted      Profile for edie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Simmons

It's always interesting for me to read an outsider's view on football; I like his observation that the awarding of red and yellow cards is nonsensical, arbitrary and crooked. Don't know how they deal with foul play in American sports.

Posts: 276 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a sport that isn't that interesting
So he doesn't really get it, does he.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edie
Member # 1259

- posted      Profile for edie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Controversially, I'd agree with him. Football games more often than not are dull spectacles (possibly influenced by the shock of watching all England's games at the WCup).

He's taken it further though.

web page

Posts: 276 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what's wrong with drinking tap water?
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edie
Member # 1259

And why don't they call it faucet water?
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote him a bitter email saying that, according to his own philosophy of who one can legitimately support without being a glory-hunting poseur, he should be supporting one of his local MLS clubs, and not one in England.

But I guess if you're bent on never actually attending a match and only watching it on tv, the Premiership is the best league to follow. It gets more coverage in English over here than any other.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was pen-pals with Dave Busst's father for a number of years (when Dave was still a kid).

Just thought I'd mention that.

I worked with both Dave's father, and his brother for a short time in the 90s, I think my brother-in law still works with his brother.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know how Red makes the comment that, after a life spent in Shawshank, he can't even squeeze a drop of pee without asking for permission first? I feel like that's happening to us. American sports have been ravaged by TV timeouts, ticket price hikes and Jumbotrons that pretty much order fans how to act. Just look at what happened in the NBA playoffs. Miami fans were urged to wear all white like a bunch of outpatients from a psych ward; the Detroit announcer screamed, "Let's give it up!" and "Lemme HEAR YOU!" as the crowd responded like a bunch of trained seals; Clippers fans weren't able to stand and cheer after an outrageous Shaun Livingston dunk in the Denver series because disco music was blaring at deafening levels. And it's not just basketball. During Angels games in baseball, the crowd waits to make noise until a monkey appears on the scoreboard. You can't attend an NHL game without hearing the opening to "Welcome to the Jungle" 90 times. Even our NFL games have slipped -- you cheer when the players run out, cheer on third downs, cheer on scores and sit the rest of the time. It's a crying shame.
But this kind of marketing-led stuff is already creeping into European football, isn't it? Remember when goals were met only with the cheers of the crowd rather than piped music? When the tannoy men gave the goalscorer's name without eleven exclamation points at the end? When going to the match meant wearing a scarf instead of a replica jersey (personalised, of course)? When there were no giant message-bearing video screens?

Bill wouldn't know any of this, I suppose, but football will invariably go down this path. The sheep-like behaviour of the fan is what makes sport so attractive to the marketing people.

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear, hear Vole, the conditions for fans to actually be their own people are less and less present.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replica shirts on a grown man are so, so wrong.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. I like the colors.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help myself from liking replica shirts.

And with that, I complete my all-forum sweep.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replica shirts are wrong, but there's nothing in the world like a well-timed jersey. If it's the right team, on the right day, at the right place, they absolutely sizzle.

i remember this one dude who was 6'2" at the airport. He had his I-Pod, his sunglasses, and his Santos Robinho strip on. I still want that shirt.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC