This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » What the fucking fuck is going on with Franchise? (Page 40)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41   
Author Topic: What the fucking fuck is going on with Franchise?
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the old trophies won by Wimbledon are now no longer at MK, the club no longer puts those honours in its programme and the club doesn't claim people like Dickie Guy as ex-players.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HORN
Member # 204

- posted      Profile for HORN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And now they're just ninety minutes from a Wembley final...
True, though Swansea absolutely battered them in the first leg, so there's probably a bit of life left in this tie yet.
Posts: 2404 | From: Sgeti | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan- see, I'd call them things symbolic as well. So Wimbledon have given away something symbolic and got something symbolic in return. Which is fine, I suppose, but it does mean that the franchise have successfully used the trophies and history of Wimbledon as bargaining chips in their pursuit of respectability and 'normalization'.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

That was a deliberate Hoddle-ism, before anyone starts.
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Wimbledon club records were physically given over to Merton Council too, I think.
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I reckon WISA and the others should just re-announce the boycott now then. The records were rightfully theirs anyway. Still doesn't change the fact that the MK lot fucked em over big time, and stole their league position.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically they bought their league position, not that that's any better.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree; the issue was that MK didn't want to hand them over, and wouldn't stop claiming the history. Now, I'd argue that no-one owns history, so MK can no more claim it than I can. But such debates tend not to play well on the terrace.

So, they had something WISA wanted, and as far as they were concerned, WISA could give something in return, which was calling off the boycott. As sacrifices go, that was something it was worth pretending was important as MK believed WISA was some all-powerful body behind all the anti-MK stuff.

You've got to remember that these people never understood why football fans hated what they represented and in most cases hated them. They weren't football fans in the same way, and so couldn't understand. In their fevered imagination, the reason why songs got sung against them, why people expressed hostility to them everywhere, was because of WISA and AFC Wimbledon fans.

Now, that could go two ways; as a fantasy, it could have been tenderly cared for and grown in strength and power as a lovely warm palliative, or more likely in my view, at some point they'd have realised that it wasn't WISA. As a result, it was felt that until they woke up and realised the truth, WISA had leverage.

The second aspect is that in their quest for legitimacy, their supporters association applied to join the FSF in 2004 and the FSF rejected it for, amongst other reasons, the fact that WISA still had issues* over the fact that MK claimed to have won the 1988 FA Cup and all the other honours.

* sadly, the fact that they're the fucking franchise wasn't enough; there were some from the old supporters club types (old being the operative word) from the old National Federation wing of the FSF who had to be persuaded to back a boycott back in 2002, who didn't think there was anything wrong with it in the first place etc, so some new pressing reason other than 'they're the fucking franchise' had to be minted to block the application, and the one chosen was 'they're claiming something they're not'.

Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

Buy? Steal? Splitting hairs really, as I'm not sure they paid for it in truth. They certainly removed it; the theft, such as it was, was the FA Commission. We now learn than Steve Stride, the Aston Villa Secretary, who was one of the three members, was lent on by his boss Doug Ellis to back the idea. Cunt.
Pretend Best Friend
Member # 3223

- posted      Profile for Pretend Best Friend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're going to Wembley

Won 5-4 on penalties against Swansea

Who on earth are the people on the pitch, bloody weirdos

Posts: 408 | From: The Office, Slough | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cunts, the lot of them - especially that wanker who scored the winning pen - he can fuck right off if he thinks he's coming back to us tomorrow.
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dynamo Kev
Member # 1119

- posted      Profile for Dynamo Kev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry but my "live commentary" stopped working when it was 3-2 on pens, who scored the winner..
Posts: 318 | From: the town of birds in the Garden State | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not a Gwenter
Member # 936

- posted      Profile for Not a Gwenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Collymore (I think) on radio 5 described Franchise as a "phoenix rising from the ashes", or words to that effect.

While it may be a bit much to expect commentators on national radio to refer to Franchise as a fucking abortion of a club, it would be nice to have some sort of admission that they are not a "real" club, in the proper sense of the word.

Posts: 559 | From: Back in Cardiff! Norfolk was an interesting experience, for sure. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was Drew Broughton DK - on loan to us until yesterday and rumoured to be coming back tomorrow.
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC