This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » North (v South) London Derby (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: North (v South) London Derby
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reid might get a game but its highly unlikely he'll do anything as dynamic as running.
Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And coming 4th does not mean we are a good team, it just means that we are less shit than the dross that makes up the also rans in the premiership.

We are this seasons Everton.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TG maybe not but it feels alot better than coming 14th which is where we were 2 years ago.

Here are some reasons to be cheerful.

For the first time in 20 years we have improved for two consecutive seasons.

we are going to get our best league finish since 1990.

We've got a bunch of good and improving young players in the team.

The players, coaches and fans all seem to like each other (a rarity at WHL)

The club is not in the financial shit.

Outside of the first team there are several young players who are reasonable prospects (Huddlestone, Davenport and Routledge).

The transfer record is much improved over previous regimes.

Jol may not be the greatest tactician but he basically has overseen the improvement.

Teemu Tainio

I'll carry on giving you first refusal on tickets even though you are a miserable cunt.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's curious that TG is castigating Lennon for displaying all the traits that he defends Okocha for. Lennon has the advantage of being about 25 years younger and not very much experience.

I'd much rather have a 19 year old player with all of the technique and skills pretty sorted and work on his decision making and coolness under pressure than the other way round.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't 'agree with everything TG said'.

Some of what he suggests is correct (that we should have sewn this up many weeks ago, that some of the tactics have been questionable, that we've been lucky on occasion).

But I imagine that the 'park player' remark was made just for effect (as are so many knee-jerk comments on OTF). Comparing any youngster with a complete one-off like Wayne Rooney is plainly unfair, however. Aaron Lennon's a very good prospect who's still learning his game: like most players, he needs regular outings to iron out any shortcomings in his game and needs to be nurtured properly. What would you rather do, TG? Offload him on some other team who'll get the best out of him? Okay, let's just do that then - yet again.

We have a long, long way to go yet, of course. However, to suggest Spurs are this season's Everton is fughing ludicrous. There are many reasons why this is a plainly daft comment, one being that the fluke behind Everton's 'success' last year was exposed by our own tonking of them at The Lane over New Year (and the Arse's seven on the last game of the season, among other performances). Nobody's come close to giving us the runaround in yonks.

There's no 'blind optimism' here, I can assure you. But then again, nor is there any supercilious doom-mongering, either.

[ 25.04.2006, 10:04: Message edited by: TV's 'Mr Personality' ]

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eighties casual
Member # 645

- posted      Profile for eighties casual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So let's get this straight TG, Jenas is shit according to you (point 3 above) but also according to you he should have played in our most difficult game of the season (Saturday).OK.

Lennon is also shit in your opinion because he's not as good as Wayne Rooney. By that rationale every player in the league is shit. Name a more exciting wide player than Lennon, one who can consistently beat his man. Those that have seen a lot of him will tell you he has improved in every game he has played in - you can't ask for more than that.

Kanoute didn't want to play for Spurs any more, he requested a move. You talk about working on a Keane/Defoe partnership but aside from a few matches this has never worked - 0-3 away to Palace last year springs to mind. Yeah Rasiak was shit but he was worth a punt for 4 weeks - it didn't work out for him, sometimes things don't, but I'd rather it was with a player we buy and sell at no loss than another expensive flop like Ferdinand or Rebrov.

You must be joking about Edman, he was a total liability, and if nothing else we haven't conceded as many penalties since we shipped him out. Maybe you saw his wonder goal at Liverpool on MOTD and based your opinion on that. Lee actually crosses the half way line which is quite desirable in a full-back and got some good crosses in with his left foot on Saturday - an early one which springs to mind was when Tainio got a good header on target in the opening 10 mins.

Personally I would replace Lee and Stalteri with better players but you are way out if you think Edman would do better.

But that's the thing, we have improved hugely from last season - more in some areas than others granted and yeah of course not everything the manager has done has been spot on, but what do you want? miracles?

You never come on here saying how good Spurs were or how impressed with such and such a player you are, in this ridiculous 'tactical genius' shtick you have developed you think knowledge of the game comes from being cynical about everything to do with the way the team you supposedly support plays and then pointing out where they went wrong with the benefit of hindsight.

Let me put it simply: we used to be shit - very recently - now we're not. We're so close to champions league football, and next season with a great manager and some great young English players we will improve some more.

If you can't find something to celebrate in that and would rather bleat on about Danny Murphy and Mido all day then I suggest you get a bus down the high road and join the other moaning bastards at Highbury.

Posts: 2185 | From: Paxton Road | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
No tactical points from me, just to say that Jol seems like a top geezer, generous in defeat as well as humble in victory and I'd loved to have seen him stick the head into that prick Wenger on saturday.
C'est tout.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

On tranfers the Jol regime is well in credit.

Mistakes - Selling
Kanoute - I loved him despite how dippy he was
Atouba - not everyones cup of tea but massive entertainment
Mendes - A class act and should have been in the first team

Mistakes buying
Reid - at least we got Dawson in the deal and this was an Arnesen deal
Murphy - a real mystery this one.
Rasiak - (at least we're getting our money back)

Jenas has been a decent buy and he's got 6 goals which is a reasonable return from midfield. Bit pricey is all.

Lennon was the buy of the season
Getting Tainio, Davids and Stalteri free was good business.
Huddlestone looks promising.
Same with Routledge who has been really unlucky.
Lee will come good if he's playing with a left winger, but I'd like to see him get a go on the right.

Compared to our past record that all looks miraclulous.

More or less every player we've bought is worth more than we paid for him.

Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better have Boss and Genius on the same side in the five a side...

The Jol Wenger spat reminded me of Ian Chappell (I think) and his advice to England. "We'll bat. You appeal. The umpire decides".

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beleive me lads, i am well chuffed that we are 4th. I am well chuffed that we have a midfield that is not made up of paper mache, but my observations are legitimate and since they are not regularly mentioned, it is my duty to bring them up.

Fritz, i agree with you but, since spurs is my team, i guess i judge them more harshly than i would another team.

Plus i know deep down you like my miserableness, reminds you of the good old days when we were shite.

"I'd much rather have a 19 year old player with all of the technique and skills pretty sorted and work on his decision making and coolness under pressure than the other way round."

Dalliance, 19 years is old enough to know how to shoot on target from 15 yards or to cross the ball. Stuart Downing is able to do it at the same age, why not lennon?

Plus last time i checked, shooting and crossing the ball were techniques that a premiership winger should possess.

"Comparing any youngster with a complete one-off like Wayne Rooney is plainly unfair,"

It may be but, people are already predicting that Lennon is a shoe-in England regular in the run up to the 2008 EC and beyond despite the presence of SWP, Gerrrard and even Beckham.
Granted Lennon no longer trips over the ball like he did when he first broke into the Spurs team but he has been playing first team football for nearly 3 season now and although improving, it is not at a pace that justify's the hype.

I am not doom mongering, i am pointing out that we are the best of a very bad bunch and despite a good showing against the big boys, are a long way behind the big 4.

Jennas is not sh*t, he is a hugely talented player who applies himself about 5 minutes per game.
I remember pointing out that he is the English Luis Gacia.
This is why I give him and Keane such a hard time as they clearly do not apply themsleves for 90 minutes anbd spend a long time undoing the good work of their teammates (this no longer aplies to keane btw).

"You talk about working on a Keane/Defoe partnership but aside from a few matches this has never worked" Thats is what the training ground is for sunshine.

"You never come on here saying how good Spurs were or how impressed with such and such a player you are,"

I always sing the praises of King, Carrick , Davids and Tainio. I have been very complimentary of keane despite me being his biggest tormentor and I have even given the limited Dawson praise.

"and next season with a great manager and some great young English players we will improve some more."

Jol is a good manager, calling him great is wrong and is the kind of hyperbole i urge caution against. we have one great young English player and his name is Ledley King.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morgan
Member # 92

- posted      Profile for morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TG, you mentioned earlier about Davenport. I'm pretty sure I read that Davenport couldn't play last Saturday as he had taken a knock. That's all I know though. With luck we'll see more of him.
Posts: 2109 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

Cmon you spurs, dump bolton out and lets cement this 4th place.

If we win, i will post a long eulogy as to why i love Martin Jol and Jermaine Jennas

Malcolm X
Member # 45

Murphy in for Davids.
Oh dear oh dear.

Malcolm X
Member # 45

Bolton are putting davies on lee and pumping the ball over with Stellios and Borghetti working the pieces.

Dawson and especially gardener (as the left sided centre-half) need to be ready to contest the second ball and are doing well so far.

Davies and Ben Haim booked and we are not passing to lennon as usual.

Malcolm X
Member # 45

Shit we are being put through the mill by Boltons mixture of skill and battle-ball and are just hanging on.
We need a breakaway goal soon or else.

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC