This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » League One Play-Offs (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: League One Play-Offs
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whilst driving one junction of the m4 today (5 to 6) i was overtaken by the swansea city team bus, going at a right speed it was

sadly i couldnt see trundle, so my 'like a lot of your salt on your chips' gesture couldnt be used

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jackett had him cycling behind.

Rick, did you used to do that thing in school when you were on the bus going home and you passed a bus from another school and everyone would (ironically) get up and hold their school tie to the opposition.
I'd like to think that as the team bus went past you held your Cardiff scarf up to the window.

Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heston Bee
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for Heston Bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lack of expectancy does wonders to curb potential dissappointment. Our real chance to go up was through automatic-promotion, despite my attempts on the first page of this thread to convince sidjames, and myself, of our play-off opportunity.

I can't say I was impressed by Swansea today, but I certainly don't begrudge them their win, Brentford were poor. Fallon looks a decent player and was a handful but Knight was hardly in the game after his second goal (great control and strike), Robinson and Austin both looked decent too and broke play up well. Brentford dominated possession, especially in the second half, but hardly created a single chance, possibly the best opportunity was in the first 30 seconds, but after that there were a series of toothless balls hit into the Swan's box and a succession of direct free-kicks wasted (there must've been at least 4 hit straight at the defensive wall).

Missing promotion will almost certainly see the departure of a number of players and re-focus attention to the perpetual off-field problems, promotion may well have provided a nice distraction from these issues, but the reality is the financial cost of going up - even taking into account additional revenues - may have been too much for us. Selling a few players and consolidating next year may actually be better in the long term for us, providing we don't lose too many players!

I think sidjames is still in his seat at GP pondering the what-ifs and what-nows.

Oh yeah, well done Swansea!

Posts: 1493 | From: Loondoon | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sidjames
Member # 1086

- posted      Profile for sidjames     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got up from my seat about half an hour after you saw me, HB. Luckily, I was on the same side as the cameras or Sky might have featured me on the end-credits.

I am in an abusive relationship with this football club. Every time they promise things are going to be different, every time they come back and smack you in the teeth.

So I won't be there for the first game of next season. I'm packing in my job and I'm going to live abroad for 6 months.

Now there's a flounce for you.

Posts: 690 | From: a different hemisphere | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heston.
I remember sitting in the Millennium Stadium after Wales lost to Russia in the 2003 play-offs. The press took photos and my brothers moping face was on the cover of the Western Mail the following morning.
Sorry Sid, but just think of how things have improved for Wales since the depression of that night in November 2003..............

Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why should it be for nothing, ptang?
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

I just think that a child leading the local team should not be seen as an opportunity to squeeze yet more money out of people who already pay through the nose.
I agree that it's up to individuals and if they want to pay that's their look-out, and that for 300 she got a kit and some food, but I think that something that should be an honour is used in an exploitative way.
Some clubs invite children who've been sick or children who have done well at school or even fan club members. It shouldn't be down to those who can afford to splash out such a large sum of money.

Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear, hear.

This idea of charging to be a mascot is ridiculous. It should be free in a (rare) gesture of goodwill by the club and determined by a random draw every week from season ticket holders or, as ptang says, fan club members.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Town!

I wish I could have been there tonight. Damn having no money...

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

<sobs quietly, not because of tonight's result, but the fact no-one else on here cares>
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a typically attractive Yorkshire derby, from this.

-

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I care, Cavlalry keks man. Though, perhaps insultingly, because I had no great desire to go to Huddersfield next season. I'm slightly stunned you managed to chuck that one away. What's the local verdict as to what went wrong? I'll understand if you don't want to answer for a few days though.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Casper
Member # 131

- posted      Profile for Billy Casper         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the photo above is to see who gets to keep the 10 pence from the coin toss,rather than match action.

The main positive from today is that we get to flog a few extra season tickets next time,due to this season's near miss.
Congratulations in advance Ptang......

Posts: 99 | From: Baaarrnsli | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the utterly neutral side, I enjoyed the game (although I flitted in and out of the first 20 mins), but it wasn't until the second half that - it seemed to me in any case - everyone came around to realising that it all meant something and events moved up a gear somewhat (it all looked a bit too relaxed until then).

Congratulations to Barnsley and huge commiserations to Huddersfield (sorry, Cav). Personally, I thought the latter would get through in the 2nd leg, home advantage and all that. Unpredictability, thy name is 'play-off'.

[ 16.05.2006, 08:12: Message edited by: ian 64 ]

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
because I had no great desire to go to Huddersfield next season.
You what? It's one of the few modern stadia worth a visit. I sadly haven't had the opportunity to go there since it was three-sided, but it was impressive even then.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC