This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Scottish leagues predictor (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  45  46  47   
Author Topic: Scottish leagues predictor
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sorry - missed your comments above.
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dink
Member # 872

- posted      Profile for Dink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alloa 0 - 4 Hearts

Well at least I got to meet up with a few of my mates and go for a pint before the match. Actually the margin of victory probably flattered Hearts a bit and we put some decent football together at times but our makeshift defence weren't good enough against their front players and our front players weren't good enough against their makeshift defence.

Up against (one of) smallweed's mob on Saturday and unless we score in the first minute of that game we will have gone 450 minutes without scoring a goal.

[ 21.09.2006, 12:01: Message edited by: Dink ]

Posts: 299 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike toreno
Member # 1509

- posted      Profile for mike toreno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see we disposed of Franchise on Tuesday night, albeit in our usual let's-make-things-more-interesting-than-they-need-to-be fashion. I missed the game as I was in Barcelona having my picture taken with the European Cup. Oh well.
Posts: 513 | From: a gosh-forsaken heckhole | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike toreno
Member # 1509

- posted      Profile for mike toreno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kiliie 1- ICT 1

By god we were lucky to escape with a point. Our worst performance of the season, so far. Life after Naismith doesn't look too good.

[ 23.09.2006, 22:26: Message edited by: Mike Toreno Mk II ]

Posts: 513 | From: a gosh-forsaken heckhole | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three points but a less convincing performance from Dundee at Airdrie this afternoon, some nice football played but they struggled against the ten men for long periods and what with all the chances Airdrie missed as well as the contentious penalty and red card incident that decided the game, their fans will be sipping their buckfasts tonight feeling justifiably a bit hard done by.

Serves them right. Cheating bastards.

How was the Raith / Alloa game Dink?

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Fuzzy Dunlop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping we would at least have a go at avenging the 7-0 humping we took from Airdrie last season but, fuck it, the three points and another win on the bounce will do. If we can play badly and still take the points for the rest of the season, I'll be happy. It's all a hell of an improvement on last season. Up to fourth place as well and only three points behind the pack.

Smallweed - according to the Herald this morning, it was a clear penalty but the ref sent off the wrong player. From the reports in the papers, Airdrie had the bulk of the game and it was down to Ludovic Roy that we came away with the win. Is that how you saw it?

No sign of blameless on the thread? I expect he's still lying down in a darkened room, dreaming about Uncle Fester's head on a plate. Two consecutive home skelpings and 11 goals conceded, it's all gone horribly wrong at Firhill.

Posts: 564 | From: a vulture distracted by donkeys. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Airdrie certainly found plenty of gaps in the defence and had the lion's share of chances, even with ten men. The penalty incident wasn't one of those that made me jump out my seat, he just gave it and I thought, that's nice of him - but it may have been right enough. Was surprised to see the red card too, but I suppose if he saw a foul he had no option. Could have been either of two players who made contact, tough call to make, so it is indeed perfectly possible he got the wrong one.

Roy had an excellent game, so did Dixon for the most part, and Lyle has been a very good signing, even without the goals. I'm still yet to be convinced by all the hype about Kevin McDonald, personally, but I seem to be in a very small minority on that one.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dink
Member # 872

- posted      Profile for Dink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alloa 0 - 0 Raith

We were on top in the first half but for all of our nice football in midfield we are unable to turn possession into chances and the chances that do come along into goals. Unfortunately our front players don't have either a decent physical presence or good pace. So they don't hold the ball up well enough and they don't have the pace to get on the end of passes in behind defenders. 539 minutes without a goal now and it is all becoming vaguely depressing.

In the second half Raith were on top forcing a series of corners that they couldn't finish as our players tired after Wednesday's game. We were probably lucky to survive this but in the end a point each was pretty fair.

Not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, not helped by a referee who insisted on stopping play every 30 seconds.

Posts: 299 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No internet access for the last few days, hence my lack of Fester-abuse on here. Since I was in Scotland, I actually made the mistake of going to Saturday's game, along with my Gretna-supporting brother-in-law. After about four goals it was actually quite a good laugh, as the Jags fans are at their funniest when in a foul temper.

Aural highlights of the day:

"Scottish by a bawhair! You're only Scottish by a bawhair!" (to our border-dwelling visitors)

"We thought we were shite - we were right" (to our own team)

"Somebody defrost Lambie!" (to the board)

Fortunately Dick "Dick" Campbell only has 10 months left on his contract now, so it won't cost much to sack the bastard. The most damning criticism I heard of him at the weekend was it felt like Vogts-era Scotland all over again.

Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

"it felt like Vogts-era Scotland all over again"

how cruel

Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dink, I was at the Raith match and would second your report. I thought Rovers bossed the second half without ever looking like they'd score.

By the way: is your goalkeeper always so wretched at taking goal kicks?

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dink
Member # 872

Yeah Allan Creer's kicking is bloody terrible. His kicks from the ground go nowhere near their intended target and barely reach the halfway line whilst his kicks from hand tend to sail right over the heads of our front players. It's another one we strike up to "he's only 19 so he has got plenty of time to improve". But as long as he keeps on making saves like his one in the first half, to keep out John Grant's bullet header attempt to score an OG, the fans will put up with him.
smallweed
Member # 1692

I don't normally bother with home games, but I couldn't get through to Ayr in time to see Riaht, plus Dundee v St Jonhstone was shaping up as a bit of a biggie, so Dens it was.

I was hoping this was the game that would tell us whether Dundee were set for midtable inconsistency or whether the bad start was just a blip and they really could mount a challenge. But the jury is still out, despite the rousing second half performance which saw them come back to equalise (lovely goal too) and press for the winner with ten men, only settling for the draw when Harris' injury reduced them to nine. Not so good in the first half though, for which the early sending off was partial mitigation, that doesn't mean you have to let yourselves get put on the back foot - witness Airdrie the previous week.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh there, there was much to be positive about, real gutsy performance with balls and passion: special mentions for Paul Dixon, growing in stature every game, and Ludovic Roy, now settling in after looking a bit nervy pre-season. It's still difficult to bring yourself to like Andy McLaren but he worked his balls off too. The crowd were great as well, even when behind - one of the most vocal home supports in the country.

Could be an interesting first division now. Dundee's squad might be short, but no one looks likely to run away with it. (If Hamilton won their game in hand, Dundee would be in the bottom half - but only three points off the lead.)

Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched most of Falkirk v Celtic today. It was a terrible, ugly, lumpen game -- Scottish football at its worst. Neither team deserved to win.

Lee Naylor was the victim of an appalling studs-up challenge by a Falkirk player, but the referee (Brines) didn't even give the guy a talking-to. It should have been a straight red.

Tony Stokes looks a decent player. I think Falkirk have him on loan from Arsenal.

[ 01.10.2006, 21:39: Message edited by: Citizen ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Fuzzy Dunlop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with pretty much all of that smallweed. Particularly about Dixon, his tackling was superb. Swankie was excellent as well, confident on the ball now, and a great set-up for McLaren's goal. McDonald (the great dark blue hope) was fairly anonymous though.

A really good performance all round from Dundee and we definitely owned the 2nd half. I did get a bit pissed off that we played those last two corners short to run the clock down. I thought we should have at least fired in the last one and tried to nick the win but it was understandable.

St. Johnstone were pretty ordinary for much of the game and didn't look like potential champions at all. Then again, no-one does at the moment as you say. And Alan 'Random' Freeland didn't fail to live down to his rep. Dundee have appealed Lyle's red card (particularly on the grounds that Freeland didn't have a clue on who he was supposed to book, if anyone). While they're at it, they should appeal Rae's booking as well - upended by a tackle from behind and then booked. Don't know about the penalty claim though. It looked like a dive from where I was (South Enclosure) but mates in the Bobby Cox said it was a definite foul.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Posts: 564 | From: a vulture distracted by donkeys. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  45  46  47   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC