This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The Walesathon is dead to me now. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  127  128  129   
Author Topic: The Walesathon is dead to me now.
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone on here a Soton fan and seen him play much? I presume it would have to have been youth/reserve level due to him having had something like four full starts.

The two free-kicks he's scored so far have been stunning but how is he at defending? I can't recall much of his appearances in Wales' peculiar pre-WC friendlies with T&T and the Basque side other than him becoming our youngest international.

[ 11.12.2007, 21:35: Message edited by: Have a Harry Christmas ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the look of what I've seen from him, so far (though I'm not a Southampton fan). He set up Earnshaw's goal against Trinidad, although Toshack did talk him through most of the game from the touchline. And yeah, his free-kicks have been very impressive.

I'm actually a little surprised that Nyatanga has been picked ahead of him, for the Bulgaria squad. Burley has said that Bale will be a first-teamer this year, whilst Nyatanga looks like he'll be a sub for Derby. Perhaps it's because Nyatanga can cover at centre-back.

With Ricketts in the first-team at Hull, as well, we might actually have some decent competition for the left-back spot in the years to come. No wonder Toshack told Ben Thatcher to bugger off.

Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wales will benefit more from Bale playing in a European u21 qualifier against Israel than for the senior side against Bulgaria.
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is that U-21 game being played now?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tilburg, in Holland.
Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

quote:
With Ricketts in the first-team at Hull, as well, we might actually have some decent competition for the left-back spot in the years to come. No wonder Toshack told Ben Thatcher to bugger off.
Unfortunately, Toshack did that because of his own monstrous ego and poor man-management skills rather than any trust in the younger players coming through.

I remain unconvinced about Ricketts, he is totally right-footed and (unlike Gabbidon) doesn't look good enough in his all-round game to compensate.

Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about your assesment of the Toshack/Thatcher saga HT, but I agree about Ricketts - I think he's played at right back for Hull pre-season.
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Gareth Bale play yet, but I look forward to extorting a ridiculous amount of money for him in the future.

edit - yes, me personally. D'oh.

[ 10.08.2006, 16:13: Message edited by: Lucy Waterman Cleans You ]

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

What's happened to Danny Collins? Any reason he's not in the Bulgaria squad?
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

Yes - he's shit
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

Really? I'll admit to not having seen much of him, but he's got Premiership experience (of losing lots of games, yes) and he's still a first-teamer at Sunderland.

Not even worth a squad place?

Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

I would have thought so, Danny Collins has had an...um...er... uncomfortable time at Sunderland (often because he's played at left-back when he's clearly a centre-half) but he's got to be a better bet than Partridge who is pushing 30 and is at Orient now, isn't he?

Going back to my earlier point, Toshack doesn't necessarily pick on ability or worth to the team and squad but on if a player totally subsumes himself to Toshack's massive sense of his own importance (and doesn't look at him funny or wear a shirt he doesn't like and stuff).

My absolute all time football hero has apparently turned out to be , well, a bit of a cunt really. It's a tragedy.

[ 10.08.2006, 18:45: Message edited by: Harry Truscott ]

The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

Yeah, I tend to agree. It's a no-nonsense approach that might (perhaps) work at a club side, but it's not really suited to a national team with a very limited pool of players.

I know GBA and ptang disagree, especially with the Savage and Thatcher issues, but I still think that Toshack has let personal issues get in the way of his judgement, and we've now got a weaker national squad as a result.

rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was marched out and shown the door when suggesting the Savage debacle was Toshacks fault
Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

That's because it was Savage's fault, rick - Savage is a wanker of the highest order - Savage was seen in Abersoch last month and his kid was wearing an England shirt - 'nuff said.

HT, I don't think Tosh's ideas are all that bad - squad spirit is very, very important and if you have a twat like Savage stirring the shit, then he's not needed ... but we've done all that before.

Collins is pants - he had a hissy fit when not brought on against Paraguay and said he didn't want to be considered for the Basque and Trini games - well fuck him then - who the fuck does he think he is? He's not fit to lick the boots of past centre-halves like Kevin Ratcliffe.
Collins is fuckin' lucky to have ever been a Premiership player - he's shit and has been found out.

[ 10.08.2006, 19:51: Message edited by: George Berry's Afro ]

This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  127  128  129   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC