This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The Walesathon is dead to me now. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  127  128  129   
Author Topic: The Walesathon is dead to me now.
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They weren't the only admissions, he has said he doesn't want to play for Wales so long as Toshack is manager ... he even went so far, although perhaps not on the BBC interview, as to say that it wouldn't be too long before he was back for Wales when Gary Speed took over as manager ...

I think we can agree that your guess is close to the truth in so much as that's what Thatcher claims - Toshack won't say anything either way.
In the same way I think we can safely say that Savage wasn't exactly welcoming of the new boss and when he had the excuse he nedded - being left out of the Austria squad - he took it and "retired".

I'm not sure what were disagreeing about - we both agree they're both guilty of pig-headeness - we both agree there's a clash of egos.
The only thing I'm saying is that if a player refuses to back the manager and is guilty of shit-stirring then no player is bigger than the team (no matter how limited the resources) and shouldn't be included.

I can understand why the agument exists regarding Savage - he is a Premiership player and has performed at international level, however, Danny Collins ... nah.

As for Iwan Roberts ... Keegan to Toshack ... 2-0

Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... if only there were more of us Welsh boys on here, Savage could be our very own "He's Back" Mick McCarthy/Roy Keane 1000+ thread!!

[ 11.08.2006, 00:53: Message edited by: George Berry's Afro ]

Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Savage is a footballing nonentity, a shit-stirring arsehole, and nearly 32. Wales must be severely hard up for players if the idea of bringing him back is deemed even semi-feasible.

[ 11.08.2006, 02:26: Message edited by: Citizen Bambaataa ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon my ignorance, but why does his kid wearing an England jersey make Savage a cunt?
Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Citizen,

We are.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

Citizen - you are correct with both points!

Otto - Savage has done nothing but profess his Welshness and how proud he is to pull on the red shirt of Wales - England are our biggest rivals, it would be like Robbie Fowler's lad wearing an Everton shirt

rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but fowler was an everton fan, savages 'sin' is much bigger
Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Fowler has an old Everton shirt lying around somewhere that he can give to his son.

I don't get it. Savage lives in England, his son probably supported England this summer like all of his mates. Wouldn't it be rather cruel to refuse to buy him an England shirt if he asked for one?

And are England really Wales' biggest rivals in the world of international football anyway?

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't get it. Savage lives in England, his son probably supported England this summer like all of his mates. Wouldn't it be rather cruel to refuse to buy him an England shirt if he asked for one? .
Cruel but fair

quote:
And are England really Wales' biggest rivals in the world of international football anyway?
Of course. Who else can you suggest? It's the only country we share a border with and we have a little brother syndrome over them. England , of course, don't reciprocate but then they've even snubbed Scotland now.

I have developed a personal antpathy towards Norn Iron after our recent qualifiers against them (I even wanted england to beat them and the stupid bastards went and lost) but ask any Welsh supporter (in any sport) who they want to beat most and it will be england.

[ 11.08.2006, 12:42: Message edited by: Harry Truscott ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

Isn't that a bit like, oh I don't know, Stockport's biggest rivals being Man Utd rather than, say, Oldham? Sorry if that's a bad example, but they're all fairly close geographically, no?
lyra
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"Anyone on here a Soton fan and seen him play much? "

*raises hand* Well I've seen him play once, last summer. And on the telly the other day of course. I only really remember him being quietly impressive... now I have the horrible feeling that he'll last as long as Theo did.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

Rivalries don't follow a set pattern though, it's not JUST proximity. That's why I mentioned the little brother syndrome, some rivalries grow in intensity (normally for the smaller party) despite (or even because of) not being played regularly or a huge disparity between the size of the teams involved.

If you don't understand why england will always be Wales' biggest rivals I would politely say you don't understand the Anglo-Welsh relationship (or the dynamic of the relationship between the Brtish countries) that goes far beyond sport

[ 11.08.2006, 12:56: Message edited by: Harry Truscott ]

rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think leyton orient are a better example, as many O's on here will tell you they have always naturally hated west ham, depsite west ham not really being aware they still existed. Part of the reason for the hatred. you cant help who you hate in football

as somebody who was at both wales england games in the last 2 years (as were HT and GBA) i have to be honest my hatred of them and their fans only increased. especially at OT where it felt like 50000 were booing our anthem and then shouting at us to fuck off during a mins silence for ken whathis name, liverpool guy executed in iraq

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

You see, I disagree. My main dissapointment with the two games against them was how placid and timid it all seemed.

I wanted it to be far more full on from our side, you know burning St George's flags & effigies of the queen, banners demanding our water back calling for Ant & Dec to be executed, that kind of thing.

As it was it was all mild and, it sickens me to say, england barely seemed bothered with us apart from a few inflatable sheep (oooh, devestating!).

It doesn't help that the actual games were such humdrum affairs as well, how different it would have been if Savage had played (joke).

The Norn Iron games were far more entertaining, like some demented seventies throwback, excellent!

[ 11.08.2006, 13:09: Message edited by: Harry Truscott ]

Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

quote:
I have developed a personal antpathy towards Norn Iron after our recent qualifiers against them (I even wanted england to beat them and the stupid bastards went and lost) but ask any Welsh supporter (in any sport) who they want to beat most and it will be england.
Yep - spot on.
It's a Notts County/Nottm Forest thing - the fact that the bigger nation doesn't reciprocate the rivalry and probably even wants us to win against other countries infuriates us even more!
The rivalry with Scotland is inflamed thanks to Jor...*cough* Jord...*splutter* - no sorry can't bring myself to say his name - and his cheating antics of 1977, but we always, always, always want to get one over on our biggest neighbour

This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  127  128  129   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC