This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The Walesathon is dead to me now. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  127  128  129   
Author Topic: The Walesathon is dead to me now.
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Norn Iron games were far more entertaining, like some demented seventies throwback, excellent!
Hence the RUC having to tell you to calm down after the game in Belfast
Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My main dissapointment with the two games against them was how placid and timid it all seemed.
Especially the players' performance on the pitch at OT. I agree the Norn Iron games were excellent affairs in the stands - especially after Giggs' third goal at WP (sorry Duncan) and due probbaly to the fact that both sets of supporters knew that either side could win - we both wanted it a bit more - against England, although the hope was there we were all rather resigned to the fact that we would probably lose ... no?
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hesitate to bring up such unpleasant memories, but if you guys actually did more of this:

quote:
I wanted it to be far more full on from our side, you know burning St George's flags & effigies of the queen, banners demanding our water back calling for Ant & Dec to be executed, that kind of thing.

"Mad Celt" type thing, I honestly believe you would get a better reception should you ever be required to return to Milan. Some banners in Welsh would probably help, too.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
against England, although the hope was there we were all rather resigned to the fact that we would probably lose ... no?
Yes we would probably lose but I remember thinking england were eminently beatable in the home game due to the torpor and poor quality of their play and that pathetic "Beckham as quarter-back" formation.

Norn Iron proved it a couple of days later, which fucked me off no end. A bit more drive and nous and we could have achieved what they did.

[ 11.08.2006, 13:16: Message edited by: Harry Truscott ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I only really remember him being quietly impressive... now I have the horrible feeling that he'll last as long as Theo did.

Lyra, British players are most valuable to us in terms of their transfer value. Rest assured we will get far more for Bale when he leaves than he would ever be worth to us or his future employers.

Saints haven't sold a British player who has gone on to be an unalloyed success since Tim Flowers.

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some banners in Welsh would probably help, too.
Most of them are!

I agree with you HT - we could have easily won at home, but the belief and passion was missing - I'm as disappointed as you about it. The hostile receoption given to England in Windsor Park is exactly what we should have given them - we should have played at Ninian Park, that would have made the atmosphere a lot, lot better. Remember the Belarus game when Coleman scored - that's the best home atmosphere we've had for ages.

Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ursus,

Why do you say that? I don't think I get your point.

Funily enough the "ultra" style thing is exactly what I envisaged when I wrote that.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would
quote:
calling for Ant & Dec to be executed
be a specifically anti-English thing? Why can't we all join in?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

I think ursus means it would help us show that we aren't English as many of us on OTF reckoned our reception in Milan was due to being thought of as English.
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Norn Iron games were far more entertaining, like some demented seventies throwback, excellent!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hence the RUC having to tell you to calm down after the game in Belfast

Ah, that was a misunderstanding. I was just signing the score to that herbert who was abusing us from his car and the polite gentleman from PSNI thought my hand gestures were more insulting than intended.
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

quote:
I think ursus means it would help us show that we aren't English as many of us on OTF reckoned our reception in Milan was due to being thought of as English.
I see, good point.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry, in a couple of the discussions we have had on here about "that night at the San Siro", Moitie and I have tried to provide some context for the disgusting and inexcusable behaviour you were all subject to by pointing out that for some strange reason (likely going back to Italia '90), Italian tifosi (not just ultras) tend to consider the Scots and Irish (they can't tell the two Koreas apart, by the way) as amusing "wild and crazy guys" who are to be laughed at (and with), rather than pissed on.

I of course realise that this will only piss you off more, but I honestly believe that part of the problem on that night was that the guys above you identified you as being English (or at least English equivalents), rather than "Mad Celts".

Looking at your number, I now realise that these may have been before you joined; I had assumed you were one of the participants in those "discussions" (like Mickey/George and rick), but had just changed your name. Apologies for assuming the background was clear.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

It's plausible theory Ursus. I think it was part of the problem but beating them at our place was part of it as well.

I think we do have an identity/recognition problem on the continent. The Welsh t-shirt company Cowbois has many lines of shirts saying "I am Welsh not English" specifically to disabuse people of the common mistake at away games, I think there was even one in Serbo-Croat.

Too be honest, I'm not totally sure myself that we DO act seperately enough from the stereotypical worst of the english fans. Watching the recent 'Panorama' I could hardly say with certainty that an element of Wales' support would act differently in the unlikely event of us ever reaching a major final. Though I'd hope the novelty of it happening would guarantee a more feelgood approach.

In my travels with Cardiff, I can't see a great difference between many of our supporters' behaviour and the worst of englands'.

If the problems 'Panorama' showed are rooted in our society and culture then Wales shares much of those problems with England, in fact I think our capital was named "Binge Drinking Capital of Britain" a while ago.

[ 11.08.2006, 13:57: Message edited by: Harry Truscott ]

Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

quote:
The Welsh t-shirt company Cowbois has many lines of shirts saying "I am Welsh not English" specifically to disabuse people of the common mistake at away games, I think there was even one in Serbo-Croat.
We made that one up for Gl! - there's a Czech one made for Teplice too.

edit: URL

[ 11.08.2006, 13:54: Message edited by: George Berry's Afro ]

Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

By the way, you dont have to be as sensitive with me about the San Siro incidents as you obviously have to be with some of my countrymen.

I found it all pretty amusing at the time and it is now firmly in the " good drinking story and badge of pride " file for me, possibly because I am more of a natural Italiaphile.

This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  127  128  129   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC