This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Ladies v Women

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ladies v Women
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't help notice, idly perusing the PA wires earlier, that Fulham Ladies were playing Charlton Women today (the Addicks won 7-2). What's with the "ladies/women" distinction? Is it a re-emergence of old "gentlemen v players" faultlines? Or a reflection of the nuanced gender politics of various teams (perhaps the Fulham team are genteel conservatives, whereas the Charlton side are strident fembos)?

Anyway, just a banal whimsical observation.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imp
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for imp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that if you'd used the word 'ladies' around anyone in the Women's Group at Brum University in the mid-1980s, you probably wouldn't still be here to tell the tale. The dodgy sports editor on our campus rag celebrated a win by the university womens' hockey side with the notorious banner headline Well Done Ladies, which caused a furore, though not from the hockey team. It may just be coincidence, but I haven't seen him since.
Posts: 4427 | From: such great heights | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd that any of these women's teams should be called "ladies" really. On the other side of the gender divide, gentlemen have barely played association football since it was hi-jacked by professionals in the 1880s.
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this specific case Fulham Women and called that because they couldn't have the name Fulham Ladies apparently.
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A de C jr always refers to his girlfriend as "his lady." She doesn't seem to mind, it's kinda quaint in a sixties sort of way.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chicks?
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When coaching, I always scream "girls", as in "let's go girls." Some coaches think that since the players are grown up, it has to be "let's go ladies." But ladies sounds awful, and only sounds great when they use it in the Marines during Boot Camp. "Let's go ladies ! Get up that wall GOGOGO !"
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why even be gender specific? won't "let's go!" do the trick just as well?
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But ladies sounds awful, and only sounds great when they use it in the Marines during Boot Camp. "Let's go ladies ! Get up that wall GOGOGO !"
My 7th grade PE teacher always called us boys ladies, and only used our last names.

Similarly along M.E.'s post, why do they need "Ladies" or "Women" in their name at all? There wouldn't be people getting confused, would there? Some womens' collegiate sports teams use this descriptive, like Tennessee's Lady Vols.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Penn State uses "Lady Lions," but I think that's falling out of fashion. The only team that still seems to use that is the basketball team and that may just be because Rene Portland is a homophobic conservative.

I once was involved in an massive impromptu multi-sided debate at college as to whether or not it was acceptible to refer to female college students (or college-age females) as "girls." My feeling was that it was no big deal, but my RA insisted that anything other than "women" was offensive.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC