This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Croatia vs England (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Croatia vs England
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
although Robinson clearly shouldn't carry the can for England's abject performance, he could have done better with that kick. he tried to scythe his foot across the ball, which presumably is the thing to do to get maximum power and lift on te kick; but when you've got an unguarded goal right behind you, it might be better to keep your leg slightly more perpendicular to the ground, so that if the ball bobbles, at least you're going to shin it somewhere.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question for all tabloid hacks: how was that pathetic defeat Robinson's fault? He was the only England player who did anything worthwhile all evening.

Quite true. Without him that scoreline would have been even more comprehensive and the tidal wave of grievance would have been even bigger.

Although when I saw Robinson's fluff, I thought 'a bit too casual there, lad'.

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also, perhaps defenders should learn not to direct back passes to the keeper at the goal. Neville, in this instance, could have put the ball towards the other side of the post, where Robinson would still have reached it.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

- posted      Profile for Big Dave's Gusset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should really be more questions about his part in the first goal, he was kind of in no-man's land there. Let's face it though, if it weren't for some fine saves, Croatia could have scored about 5.
Posts: 2991 | From: Duck Island | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

- posted      Profile for Big Dave's Gusset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain to me the logic of zonal marking at set-pieces? One of you UEFA-badge lot must be able to help me out. It's an honest question. It seems to me that if you are defending a corner and you have a bunch of big hairy fuckers running in on goal, it would be good to get close to the BHFs and put them under a bit of pressure, rather than marking a space that the BHFs might not even run into. I'm not suggesting that Croatians are BHFs, by the way.

[ 12.10.2006, 10:04: Message edited by: Big Dave's Gusset ]

Posts: 2991 | From: Duck Island | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robinson made a world class save after the second goal, but I thought the first one was probably his fault. Mind you, the lad who made the header looked to have enough players marking him to be not able to win that header.

The second goal was Gary Neville's fault, as Janik details above.

It's shit being an England fan. There is all this expectancy whipped up by the media when in all reality, most English players are pretty mediocre.

[ 12.10.2006, 10:03: Message edited by: Cavalry Trouser Tipps ]

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know what zonal marking is. I get the feeling it's something made up by some FA bod to make himself look impressive.
Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My word what a dreadful performance. I feel sorry for Paul Robinson, who had an excellent game only to be caught in no mans land for the first and completely miss the bloody ball for the second. I think we've found out that 3-5-2 doesn't work for us. Seemed to me that Rooney and Crouch were terribly isolated, with absolutely no support from Lumpard. I thought having two players such as Carrick and Parker would enable to him to get further forward, but I guess I was wrong. Wing-backs didn't exactly work, although Neville did try to get forward. Defence was dreadfully shaky, John Terry got run ragged, and I don't know who was supposed to be picking up Eduardo for the first, but neither Terry nor Cole got anywhere near him. Too many occasions, Croat players were given far too much room at the back post. Seems to me we can't even get basics such marking, passing and control right. Ashley Cole, thank christ will miss the next competitive game. I've said this for many months but the guy is seriously overrated. Best left back in the world, my fucking arse. He got done for pace time and time again and left England exposed on many occasions, and this time there was no goal line clearance to save his utterly crap performance.
Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

Slaven Bilic's comments on systems last night on MOTD were brief yet fascinating.

'Systems are dying'.

[ 12.10.2006, 10:05: Message edited by: ian 64 ]

How's The Bairn?
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for How's The Bairn?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually adopted by people who haven't done their homework finding out what the opponents do on corners.

Zonal marking (without being too patronising) is to mark an area of the area, therefore dealing with the ball rather than be pulled out of your accustomed position by the movement of players - as you could by man-marking. That means that defenders are probably already in the vicinity of the ball, which means that the ball should be dealt with in a more assured manner - maybe even headed away rather than for another corner, than if defenders are running back with the attackers.

Of course, zonal marking only works if the players using it are playing as part of an organised team rather than 11 individuals with huge egos, all expecting the other players to deal with it.

I'm an England fan, and even I laughed at that last night. I might still support them, but I'm perversely enjoying watching us be this rubbish.

Robinson was the only English player able to come out of it with any credit, and he's the scapegoat. No wonder I don't read newspapers.

[ 12.10.2006, 10:18: Message edited by: My Pants Are On Fire ]

Posts: 2592 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

quote:
Zonal marking (without being too patronising) is to mark an area of the area, therefore dealing with the ball rather than be pulled away from your away by the movement of players - as you could by man-marking. That means that defenders are probably already in the vicinity of the ball, which means that the ball should be dealt with in a more assured manner - maybe even headed away rather than for another corner, than if defenders are running back with the attackers.
Area of the area? Away from your away? Well, that's cleared that up.
How's The Bairn?
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for How's The Bairn?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Too many aways in there. Right amount of areas (second area is to refer to the penalty area).

Edited now, so hopefully it makes more sense. Now.

[ 12.10.2006, 10:18: Message edited by: My Pants Are On Fire ]

Posts: 2592 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

Cheers, Kettle (that is you, isn't it?).
How's The Bairn?
Member # 747

Aye.
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Indeed, Alan Hansen was very informative. Took me back to the 90's before the BBC pundits became lazy caricatures of themselves."

BBC's analysis was really poor and as usual Hansen stated the obvious whilst sitting there looking smug. It kind of shows why the general public know little about the game.

Sky as usual were right on the money with Jamie Redknapp, Gary Speed and Andy Gray (My tactical Mentor) being spot on.

Although i wrongly predicted a jammy win for England, i had seemed to have not taken into account that Mclaren had learned little from Sven and too much from Venables.

Croatia away is a along with Russia away the two most trickiest ties on paper in this qualifying group and not really the game where you should try an experimental formation like the 3-5-2.

Only an English manager would have the arrogance and stupidity to try such nonsense.

And it is also typical English aorrogance trying to equate this with the Northern Ireland defeat.

The difference being that England had all but qualified by the time they arrived in Belfast and had got all the tricky ties out of the way.

England still have to play Russia and Isreal away, both of those teams are at least as good as Croatia and Macedonia whom both out played England.
England can probably afford one more loss and a draw but any more than that and they will struggle to come second.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC