This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Croatia vs England (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Croatia vs England
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just seen your interpretation of zonal marking, Kettle and I've gotten the gist of it, however, I can't help feel that it's a slightly pernicketty way of describing something that a player, if he's worth his salt, should be doing from Day One without it being given a fancy name. It seems as if it should be customary, instead of being given the impressive moniker 'zonal marking'.

[ 12.10.2006, 10:30: Message edited by: ian 64 ]

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teams who play with a flat back four usually emply zonal marking during the game.

Zonal marking is beyond the average English player as it needs alot of concentration, communication and the ability to take control.

Such attibuts are not encouraged by the English coaching system.
Terry is at fault of the goal as he was caught ball-watching and allowed the striker to slip behind him.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
How's The Bairn?
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for How's The Bairn?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably is, in all honesty. Put simply, there are only two ways to mark on defensive set-pieces - and either way, if you can deal with the ball, you should.
Posts: 2592 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sitek
Member # 1079

- posted      Profile for sitek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with TG. I don't understand why on earth England would shift to a system they've not played for ages for one of the most difficult games they have to play in the group. Why do England managers do this time after time? Remember Norway 93? Even Northern Ireland 2005 (agree that it's a slightly different case). Not one player looked comfortable yesterday. I don't know whether it was the system, the manager or whether we just don't have the players. The older I get and the more football I watch, the less I seem to understand....
Posts: 876 | From: Fog on the Rhine | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marsupialman
Member # 1180

- posted      Profile for marsupialman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"and they always get there in the end ("there" being the finals of a major tournament)"

Well we don't always get there do we? We've got used to SGE guiding us relatively serenly through three rather tame qualifying groups and it has become too easy to forget the travails of Mr. Graham Taylor. There is a good chance we might not qualify this time round. There are a plethora of handy coaches in this group - Hiddink we know all about, Katanec has form and Bilic I'm liking more and more (great arrogance/confidence: I'm going to slag England, then beat them), and their teams are going to make life difficult for an England coach who seems determined on making some basic selection mistakes (Crouch and Rooney together? No no no no NO!).

If we don't qualify, there'll be a standard period of navel-gazing and hand-wringing at the state of the game, and then we'll appoint some other patsy, move on and carry on with the all-consuming premiership jamboree.

It's depressing.

[ 12.10.2006, 10:37: Message edited by: marsupialman ]

Posts: 150 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
How's The Bairn?
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for How's The Bairn?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, my lads adopt a zonal marking system, mainly because we've not got the resources to scout our opponents. We've conceded one goal from a set-piece this season, and that was because our goalie misjudged the corner.

Zonal marking might be beyond the average English player, but it's not that hard. Talk to each other, judge the flight of the ball early, claim it early, deal with it.

And what TAG said on the first goal. Robinson's positioning shouldn't come into question either - more why he wasn't always on his toes while the ball was in the area. He was caught flat footed when the ball was headed, which means he's not as mobile.

Posts: 2592 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This current navel gaving will end this weekend when the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney smash up average premiership teams and we will go back to proclaiming them the best in the world again.
Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
How's The Bairn?
Member # 747

"We"? You speak for yourself.
Malcolm X
Member # 45

"Robinson's positioning shouldn't come into question either - more why he wasn't always on his toes while the ball was in the area. He was caught flat footed when the ball was headed, which means he's not as mobile."

Robinson is a very flat footed keeper and in my opinion is very slow.
This is why he gets caught out alot from shots taken from a distance that swerve.

How's The Bairn?
Member # 747

Like Neville's?
Malcolm X
Member # 45

Well not me, i don't wait for the likes of Gerrard, and lampard to have bad games before proclaiming them as overrated or lacking technique.

I am never surprised by events such as yesterday, what surprises me is that it doesn't happen too often. Englishmen should be thankful that many of their opponents respect the England shirt cos if that eleven were wearing Scottish shirts, Croatia would have gone for them with the ferocity that Ukraine went for Scotland.

Defensive-minded
Member # 493

- posted      Profile for Defensive-minded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a 3 - 5 - 2 formation, as played by Germany throughout the nineties and late eighties, two defenders man-mark the two strikers and the third defender plugs the holes (sweeper). The wing halves pick up the wide players and try to create pressure on the wings themselves. The problem with England yesterday was that all three defenders were playing in one line, giving the forwards too much space.

It is wrong to say English players aren't used to zonal marking. On the contrary it's part of a 4-4-2 formation, which is day-to-day British football.
With corners it's a different thing. I agree with Kettle here, although it must be taken into account that you need time to get this system right, so it only makes sense pripor to major tournaments or if the same system is applied at dosmestic level. I know Liverpool did zonal marking at corners last season.

Posts: 972 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defensive-minded
Member # 493

- posted      Profile for Defensive-minded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
80% Robinson's fault at the second goal. You just can't take a whack at the ball in that position (schoolboy's error). He was in a comfortable position to trap the ball.
Posts: 972 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We've got used to SGE guiding us relatively serenly through three rather tame qualifying groups and it has become too easy to forget the travails of Mr. Graham Taylor.
It wasn't a walk in the park for Hoddle and Keegan, either. But then, it wouldn't be the first time Eriksson's level of success has been taken for granted.

Viewed in isolation, a 2-0 loss to anyone, let alone a second-tier nation like Croatia, is poor for a nation of England's stature. For it to immediately follow a 0-0 home draw with a minnow I'd argue constitutes a crisis.

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone would like to tell the FA how they should take football forward you should go here...

http://www.thefa.com/GrassrootsNew/News/Postings/2006/10/YourGameYourSay.htm

And fill the relevant form in.

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC