This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » who deleted my thread and why? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: who deleted my thread and why?
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't actually - I take it that's in it? I love QI. I'm disappointed no-one (ie Mrs Rogin) did think to get me the book, if one's out.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any blacks interred were, naturally, put into effective slavery (although we called it "paid labour").

a lot of black south africans were also interred, not sure why, but the mortality rate in their camps was three or four times higher than in the white camps.

sorry if you got the impression ROT that I was flying off the handle at you. I wasn't, unless you happen to be the one to delete my thread for no real apparent reason.

I appreciate that it might be possible to construe my post in such a way, but to be honest it isn't the obvious way to read the post. You have to work at it, it requires an intention to take offence. It also kind of mostly ignoring what the post was about and its context. It also hinges on reading into my post that I suggested that those who named the Kop were able to look 85 years into the future to see hillsborough yet called the stand that anyway.

The deletion seems all the more bizarre if as paul S suggests people up and down the country actually did look at the terraces, (of which the one at anfield is the most famous) and say "they look like a big pile of dead bodies in a trench."

However I'd like to see some support for paul's story because it strikes me as a tasteless and senseless and implausible way to go around naming stands, unless it started out as an informal nickname that was then adopted as the real name.

The Leppings Lane end is in the same ground as a stand called The Kop. But since we're not in the premiership perhaps you can't be expected to know that.

well that's me told. to be honest, I thought that there was one at hilsborough, but when I read that there was a spion kop at bramall lane, I assumed that I had gotten the two confused as two stands with the same name in the same city is a bit excessive.

I'm sorry my ignorance offended you, but delighted that I gave you the opportunity to exercise the prerogative of a certain type the lower league fan to be snotty and snide, a task you carried out with great aplomb. we big red club fans only exist to repeatedly confirm the obvious superiority of fans of small blue and white sleeping giants.

of course it's almost as if sheffield wednesday never voted to set up the premiership, or were never a major club for a number of years. I wonder how you felt back then.

[ 01.01.2007, 21:45: Message edited by: and I am the life ]

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atteveld
Member # 1140

- posted      Profile for Atteveld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd imagine it also has something to do with the notion of Spion Kop being a formidable obstacle to victory for the visiting team / army, rather than simply because the hill was covered in bodies, no?

[ 01.01.2007, 22:08: Message edited by: Atteveld ]

Posts: 94 | From: a crumbling two up two down | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Mudhsuden
Member # 1072

- posted      Profile for Mighty Mudhsuden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Spion Kop at the old Northampton ground as well.

As you were.

Posts: 2061 | From: Hackensack... is that all you get for your money? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Route One Thug
Member # 1750

- posted      Profile for Route One Thug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't actually - I take it that's in it? I love QI. I'm disappointed no-one (ie Mrs Rogin) did think to get me the book, if one's out.

It is. I'll take another look once I go to bed, and see if there are anything to add on your information. Although might be a different thread. Oh, and the book features a decent amount of information that's already appeared on the programme, but still a fantastic hive of information.

aiatl - apology accepted. Although this:

It also hinges on reading into my post that I suggested that those who named the Kop were able to look 85 years into the future to see hillsborough yet called the stand that anyway.

makes no sense. What you need to do is take your final sentence away from the original context of the thread, and link it directly to the picture. Difficult for the original poster to do, and as you say, requires a degree of ignorance from the reader to do such a thing. Thing is, such people exist, and admins need to consider the ignorant when letting such things on a public forum.

Posts: 636 | From: High In The Clouds | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pantani was right in the second post on this thread. The Kop at Anfield was so-named in honour of the Liverpool dead from the Battle of Spion Kop. At first it was an unofficial title bestowed by a local journo, I think.

With regiments raised from localities casualties tended to be focussed and there were a number of Lancashire regiments involved, including the 1st York andf Lancashire Regiment so I'd guess of the 240 killed quite a few would have been from those areas.

It certainly wasn't unique as Woolwich Arsenal had a Kop first.

The Spion Kop defeat nearly brought down the Government of the day.

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised at the English revelling in defeat - Dunkirk springs to mind as well as numerous World Cups and the current Ashes series. Of course the Aussies are the same with with Gallipoli.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackpool's Bloomfield Road also had a Spion Kop until the ground was rebuilt recently.
Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Leppings Lane end is in the same ground as a stand called The Kop.
Indeed, part of the reason that the (more numerous) Liverpool fans were allocated the (smaller) Leppings Lane end that day was so that they wouldn't get an undue psychological boost from being on the Kop.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hillsborough Kop was the biggest (in terms of capacity) Kop in the Country I think.

Cambridge United have a Corona Kop end.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure why anyone would be surprised at the English revelling in defeat - Dunkirk springs to mind as well as numerous World Cups and the current Ashes series. Of course the Aussies are the same with with Gallipoli.

does every afl ground have a stand called suvla bay?

oddly enough, the english didn't really lose the battle as such. after some unpleasant fighting (the lancashire regiment wanted to surrender) the boer's retreated, abandoning the hill to the english, but for some reason the english just left , leaving the hill to the boers.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that's not a Corona Pop end?

Not sure about the old VFL grounds, but there was a move to name Subiaco Oval ANZAC Stadium and there are many other links with sport. Australian national teams heading to Europe invariably stop off at Gallipoli, there are specific games scheduled for Anzac Day and there are things like the Sands of Gallipoli Anzac meda and The Len Hall game - named after a Gallipoli veteran.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

but a lot of anzac's died in gallipoli. That's fair enough.

Spion kop wasn't even the biggest battle of the boer war. only 383 english soldiers died. 1000 were injured and 300 captured as a force of 11,000 english soldiers and 2200 cavalry men were kind of beaten by 6,000 boers.

546 englishmen died at the battle of talana hill where they actually won (kind of) against superior odds.

nearly 1000 highlanders were killed or wounded at magersfontein, and a week later a force of 21,000 english soldiers were defeated by 4,500 boers at colenso.

just reading about the battles on wikipedia, it would seem that the english made an awful mess of the boer war didn't they?

Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

True enough about the numbers, but it was major jolt for the Empire and the impact at the time was huge. And yes, they did.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC