This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Mijatovic: David beckham can piss right off if he thinks he's getting another contrac (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: Mijatovic: David beckham can piss right off if he thinks he's getting another contrac
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Apparantly it all works out to 82 pence per second"

when his playing career finally does peter out, i'd like to see how much he earned for every minute he was on the pitch.

[ 11.01.2007, 17:05: Message edited by: Major Eazy ]

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bryan--that was the fear, so MLS has limited how many "designated players" that can be paid above the salary cap.

Each team is given one designated player slot (calling it a DP slot seems too wrong to me), which they can use or trade to another team for players, etc. The most each team can have is two designated players. Players already making above the salary cap (like the Galaxy's Landon Donovan) will not count towards the rule for this season, but afterwards they too will become designated players.

Obviously, the intention was to make sure that not one team amasses a ton of highly paid players, forcing the rest of the league to chase up. A team could do really well in trading their slot for other good players.

Also, once the salary gets above the salary cap, MLS is not responsible for the wages, attempting to limit the league's financial burden for these players.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
.. four hundred and ninety eight thousand pounds a week...
Remember, this is probably including licensing rights and other stuff, not just his playing salary.

The highest paid American athlete, according to USA Today's most recent figures is the NFL player Michael Vick, at $23.1 million a year. That isn't including any commercial fees.

I've always been struck by the different way we talk about athlete's salaries. You'll never hear someone talk about how much an athlete makes a week in America, it's strictly a year.

Lots of sports fans get upset about how much players are making, but somehow I think the per week figures make it seem even worse. Instead of talking about Michael Vick's salary per year, if people talked about him making $444,283 a week, then it would seem worse, I think.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Part of press release:

quote:
"David Beckham will have a greater impact on soccer in America than any athlete has ever had on a sport globally," said Timothy J. Leiweke, president & CEO, AEG. "We are acquiring an individual that will not only be the best ambassador and the best role model for athletes and fans of soccer but the best example of what any athlete can and should be. David is truly the only individual that can build the 'bridge' between soccer in America and the rest of the world," added Leiweke.

"In addition to David's tremendous desire to further elevate the sport of soccer in the United States and worldwide, we would also not be here today without the unbelievable cooperation of the members of his management team beginning with Simon Fuller," Leiweke continued. "We owe you all a debt of gratitude and appreciation and give you our commitment that we will support you as you support us every step of the way."

"This historic partnership with 19 Entertainment and CAA Sports will also create tremendous and exciting new opportunities for us to collectively develop additional worldwide initiatives," Leiweke continued. "The synergies created with 19 Entertainment, the worldwide leaders in branding and imaging along with CAA Sports, the premier sports representation agency will result in numerous new and profitable ventures."

How the hell did CAA get involved?
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 250 million USD caught their eye.

I love the "we are acquiring an individual" line.

I wonder how Becks is going to feel about being chattel.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How the hell did CAA get involved?
Because Fuller is out of his depth in sport and will have a strong relationship with CAA's music and TV department ( who will also do a lot of deals with AEG) and brought them in to help?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Front page of CNN.com:

-

Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
why?

How long have you got?

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks there was a certain inevitability about this, at least from an MLS standpoint.

From the day MLS unveiled those bizarre nicknames and tacky playing strips, it was clear that the league had conceded rather too much ground to marketers. Maybe that's changed a little, but surely Beckham was hired more for his marketability than his skills on the pitch - and surely that's not going to sustain a larger audience beyond maybe a year or two.

Whether this is akin to Pele 1975 remains to be seen. As others have pointed out, MLS does not consist of the New York Cosmos grinding everybody else into a fine pulp, and soccer is much more of a known quantity now than it was then. I'm led to believe Beckham is the best-known footballer in the US, which is rather remarkable when you consider he's never even played there.

But if, as some believe, there is a crticial mass of dyed-in-the-wool American soccer fans who continue to turn their back on MLS, I can't see him (or Ronaldo, or any single name for that matter) changing their attitudes. No doubt he'll attract more of the mildly curious, or youngsters hopeful of an autograph, but - as the WUSA surely proved - celebrity alone won't propagate a pro league.

That said, I'm keeping an open mind on this. And I'd be very interested to hear from our US contributors about how much gravity the US sports media attach to what is undoubtedly one of the most significant days in US soccer history.

[Edited for atrocious grammar.]

[ 11.01.2007, 17:51: Message edited by: Exploding Vole, The ]

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Front page news of FoxNews, CBS News, etc, etc
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Yet just a little box on ESPN's front page, and only part of the crawl on ESPNews, not even the little "breaking news" box that they use for the most mundane events.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though ESPN and Fox Sports are still featuring the Barry Bonds amphetamine story and CBS Sportsline ledes with the NFL playoffs, all of which goes more to TEV's point.

It is being treated as an entertainment/celebrity story as much (or perhaps more than) as a sports story.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it on good authority that the decision-makers at ESPN have it in for soccer.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a breaking news now...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was also the lead item on RTE 2FM's radio news at 4pm, relegating to second place the drowning of an entire trawler crew off the coast of Wexford.

What is it about Beckham that brings out so many people's inner idiot?

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC