This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Dollarpool (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Dollarpool
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6323037.stm
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd assumed the reason the board went down all morning was the fury and ferocity with which posts were being exchanged on this.

Personally, I think it's good news. It'll get the stadium built, and apparently this guy Hicks has a reputation for building really state-of-art stadia for teams he's been involved with. £215m doesn't sound a lot for what has been mooted as a 70,000 all-seater, though - I think it's inevitable there'll be some naming rights deal, which could bring in another £100m.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ballpark in Arlington (now Ameriquest Field).

I look forward to visiting the Football Ground in Kirkby in 2011 before the naming rights are sold to the likes of "Loans4U".

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given up on the canuck then, rogin?
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liverpool have got planning permission to build on Stanley Park (so they'll still be in Anfield). It's Everton who are thinking of moving to Kirkby.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

Nero, well as soon as it became apparent that the Dubai Investment Corporation didn't seem keen to put half as much money into the club as had first been suggested, and the club revealed that its £80m debt meant that only this level of new investment would offer any hope of redevelopment, I've become resigned to it. I'd much rather the club had been bought out by a local consortium, but I think the only locals rich enough to manage such a deal would have been either Robbie Fowler, drug dealers or Sir Paul McCartney, none of whom really trust to run the club.

Hicks coming on board alongside Gillett is good - since the two of them teamed up, there's been a lot more positive talk about investment in the team and the stadium, and less of the nonsense about groundsharing.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did that just to piss you off, Rogin. Thank you for responding so promptly.

Hicks is of course also famous for signing the largest (and arguably most disasterous) contract in sports history; the Texas Rangers' USD 252 million deal with Alex Rodriguez, which ended up with the Rangers in last place, them trading A-Rod to the Yankees for the much less talented Alfonso Soriano (since shipped off to my own hapless Chicago Cubs) AND agreeing to "eat" USD 67 million of the USD 179 million left on the contract.

Stevie G must be excited about this.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the Glazers, Lerner and now Gillett/Hicks, I am really reaching a level of confusion with football I have never had before.

These are not Abramovich like people, who have issues of political asylum and cash to burn. These are investors, and men who are familiar with making a significant return from Sports enterprises.

I am really still struggling to see where they expect to generate this income from in British football. It is frustrating to the point that I am convinced I must be missing something, and the consortium that turned down its exclusive rights to bid for Newcastle seem to be in the same place.

Anyone able to offer the insight of US sports revenue generation that is unexploited? Will they try to bring boot sponsorship and stuff in house for a club cashflow? Will salary caps be on the way?

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
80m debt? 'ckinell. Makes our catch all excuse of a 25m debt look pretty pathetic.
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Linke, I think you are confusing Tom Hicks the private equity investor with Tom Hicks the egoist. The latter is the one who bought the Rangers and Stars, and it continues to be the case that very few North American multi-billionaires make money from their sports operations; they simply blow some of the billions they have made elsewhere on what are essentially ego-stroking and image building exercises.

There may well be some very intangible value to his other operations in Hicks becoming better known in the UK, Europe and Asia, and they may have hopes of maximizing some revenue streams (the Glazers have to, in order to pay the debt), but he isn't buying it through one of his funds, nor is he expecting the kind of returns his investors would if he did so.

I am sure that someone has run numbers on what valuations would be like if a NFL-like Eurosuperleague would emerge, but I very seriously doubt that anyone serious is assigning a high probability to that outcome.

Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

Apparently the announcement said £44.8m debt. I think some careful management accounting has taken place (possibly to accrue some of next year's bumper TV deal into the balance sheet used for the sale) because I'm sure the figure of £80m is the one that's been bounced around for the last few weeks.
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was the other way around and that the £80m debt was based on a figure that didn't include certain income or assets, but I can't remember the detail.
Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nuts 'n Gum
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for Nuts 'n Gum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the Press conference-they're not the most avid of fans..in fact Football seems to be about their 5th sport!

(34 games in a season, Liverpool..erm..Manhatten..)

Posts: 1220 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

The 44.8 million figure is "net debt"; the statement doesn't specify what it is "net" of, though the formal offer documents are likely to be a bit more specific in that regard.
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
80m debt? 'ckinell. Makes our catch all excuse of a 25m debt look pretty pathetic.

Coincidentally, give or take about half a million quid, stg£80 million was the amount that Benitez had spent on new players since taking over in the summer of 2004 (not counting the guys he bought in the just-closed transfer window).

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  30  31  32   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC