This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » How's the fanzine scene? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How's the fanzine scene?
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oxford's fanzine is still going, now in its third incarnation (OxTales, formerly Rage On, established in 1988 as Raging Bull).

However, I think it's fair to say that its quality has been in decline, as has its sales, the numbers of contributors, and the enthusiasm of those producing it. I would guess that it's only a matter of time before it goes west.

Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzo
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Gonzo         Edit/Delete Post 
From recent-ish games ones still going, Ireland have 'You Boys In Green', Celtic 'Not The View', Arse.'The Gooner' & Wov-les 'A Load Of Bull'.
Posts: 2962 | From: The Pale, Erin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, boris, you mean it's off to Swindon?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I said it was in decline, not on its way to Hell.
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the consensus seems to be that there are several still soldiering on. Perhaps WSC can do a piece on the viability of these as it seems to be the case that they are being affecred by internet forums and the general decline in the use of printed material. Perhaps it is a case of is there still a need for them?
Without them we are left with, at least round here, the club stuff and the local paper and radio. Both are compromised by dependence on the club and as such, limited in value to fans.

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzo
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Gonzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Oadlad,
Guess it depends to an extent on the general access to the net, but hopefully there'll be a place for 'zines to 'get in people's faces', directly at games for a while yet, rather than detached in front of some distant screen....

Posts: 2962 | From: The Pale, Erin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps WSC can do a piece on the viability of these
Ahem, I wrote one, a few years back now mind. As did Nishlord more recently.

[ 03.04.2007, 14:21: Message edited by: E10Rifle ]

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be of interest:

http://www.dottwo.co.uk/onetouch/links/fanzines/english_league.html

Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite fanzine name has to be the Coventry City one 'Gary Mabbutt's Knee'.

The best moment in the club's history captured perfectly right there.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that, Battylad. It is not dated however and I know that three of the four LCFC ones listed are no longer. Interesting nevertheless.
Sorry if I missed a couple of articles by the assembled talent but have come back to WSC after a break of a few years.
I know...

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's any question that messageboards have taken over from fanzines as the main area where supporter activism takes place. Practically every club has a supporters' messageboard, and surprisingly few of the official ones are censored (by the clubs, at least).
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My favourite fanzine name has to be the Coventry City one 'Gary Mabbutt's Knee'.

The best moment in the club's history captured perfectly right there.

there are a few like that arnet there? named after opposition players who scored own goals/ missed open golas in vital games

wanst there a torquay one named after a blackpool player? or was it the other way around?

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul S
Member # 75

- posted      Profile for Paul S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that WSC can't resurrect the old fanzine list as so many of them are defunct now. But how about providing a list of supporters clubs/messageboards in the magazine instead? It could be done on a we link to you and you link to us basis and would be an extremely useful reference point for people.

What do others think?

Posts: 2400 | From: Plastered over the Maplin Sands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC