This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » "Ohmigawd, what on earth is that?" 07/08 (now with new improved 08/09!) Kit Gallery (Page 21)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 79 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  77  78  79   
Author Topic: "Ohmigawd, what on earth is that?" 07/08 (now with new improved 08/09!) Kit Gallery
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a replica of the shirt it is based on:

-

You only need to look at the crest on the original to see why I am uncomfortable.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't make out the crest all that well, and I'd like to know more about that shirt.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The symbol is the facses, Inca, with the St. George's Cross reflecting its presence in the Milan Coat of Arms.
Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The crest is a version of the central element of this:

-

which you will probably recognise as one of the primary symbols of Mussolini's Fascist party.

Spangles can quote you chapter and verse, but a after Mussolini came to power, the Fascists forced all of the major football clubs with names that were not sufficiently "Italian" to change them: Internazionale became Ambrosiana (after Milan's patron saint), Milan (briefly) became Milano, Genoa became Genova, etc. By the time of the formation of Serie A in 1929, popular resentment at the whole campaign succeeded in Inter being able to play under the name of "Ambrosiana-Inter", which they were saddled with until the war.

In keeping with some of the economic aspects of their ideology, the Fascists were also big on forcing mergers among smaller clubs in order to make them larger and theoretically stronger. Roma, Fiorentina, Napoli and Bari are all the products of such "suggested" mergers, but Inter were not immune, as they absorbed U.S. Milano, which had been the third club in the city for most of the first quarter of the 20th c.

US Milano played in black and white halves, and their incorporation led Inter to wear this bizarre kit for a season or two (in addition to the collar, note the imposed additon of the fasces to the scudetto):

-

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having seen our new Topps Tiles/jako disaster I hid under a stone but have just come out (of the stone).
At least we'll be playing it on the floor this season. Suicide inspiring.

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King o' the Rye
Member # 4315

- posted      Profile for King o' the Rye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Much better than anything we've had in years. Frank might need to lose a few pounds, though.

Posts: 423 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Agreed, a huge improvement.

Now only if you could get your old crest back.

fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Fulham tops look like polo shirts.

But as you say better than most of your recent offerings. It takes a special kind of creativity to completely fuck up a white shirt.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't think there'll ever be a more amateurish crest than the current Fulham job. it's just not possible.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King o' the Rye
Member # 4315

- posted      Profile for King o' the Rye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that's ever going to happen, to be honest. Too many of the young supporters like it - it's only the old fogies (and young fogies like me) who want it gone. It's not like the old crest was that amazing, anyway, just that the new one is so unattractive. In my perfect world, we'd playing with this:  -

(not the wembley 1975 bit), but that won't happen either.

Posts: 423 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorenzo Downtime
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Lorenzo Downtime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It takes a special kind of creativity to completely fuck up a white shirt.
Wait until you see North End's latest effort.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to Fulham and Nike for a nice cleanly designed kit. Doubly so for not switching to white shorts like everyone else as well.

I had forgotten about Bullard, will he be fit for the season's start (and will he fit in with Sanchez's football)?

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King o' the Rye
Member # 4315

He's training hard to be ready and the last check-up with the doc in the USA was positive, apparently. I'd be very surprised if a fully fit Bullard wasn't part of Sanchez's plans, particularly as Brown appears to be on the way out.
Jamzinho
Member # 442

- posted      Profile for Jamzinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latest from Coventry - voted by 66% of fans who responded to the competition

-

Not a lot to get excited about - or angry about.

PS - Like the Fulham kit, nice and clean

Posts: 220 | From: Coventry | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That grey on the Coventry kit makes it look like my kettle. The colour is making a worrying advance in to current kits.

Speaking of which Mr Tottoh, are you referring to your current black/grey trimmed and bisected monstrosity or have they managed to design an even worse one?

[ 30.05.2007, 14:30: Message edited by: The Harry Secombe Golf Classic ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 79 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  77  78  79   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC