This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Conference Relegation (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Conference Relegation
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'll be the southern-most team. Most likely Worcester, without having had the time to look at a map.
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are Forest Green full time now? That is utter madness - how on earth can Stroud(?) support a full-time side?

Come on Alty.

Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are Forest Green full time now? That is utter madness - how on earth can Stroud(?) support a full-time side?

They are, and just barely are I think the answers to the two questions. Like Crawley, it wouldn't be muich of a shock if they reverted to part-time status amid a financial implosion.

It makes a mockery of the 50-points-and-you're-safe thing doesn't it? Fairly likely someone will be going down with 52.

50 points is the safety mark in a 24 team division with only three going down, like the Championship. I tihnk 52 is the usually accepted number for a 24-team league with 4 going down. And so it proved, as Altrincham couldn't win today.

But anyway;

Cambridge United 1-0 Tamworth

A big crowd for this game, a handful over 6,000. Not sure the club were expecting it as the food stall behind the Newmarket Road end had "sold out of everything" by the 35th minute!
Cambridge looked the livelier side in the first half, without really having that many clear cut chances. One penalty shout for a Tamworth defender climbing all over the back of Dan Chillingworth that sources at that end of the ground say was cast iron, but not given. The ref seemed to bottle it, as the ball broke loose from the incident to Darren Quinton, who had a tough shot (waist high, scissor-kick type thing) from 20 yards, which went over. If he played advantage, I would like a chat with him about the meaning of this word.
Other main action in the first half was a great chance for the man who has saved Cambridge's season, Robbie Simpson (14 goals in his last 16 league apperances). Centre of the penalty area, about 8 yards out, unmarked, he miskicked wide fo the post. All league club scouts please note, he is clearly not good enough for you, now sod off whilst he signs a new contract with Cambridge United!

Second half started with almost constant Cambridge pressure. Crosses, corners, most of the play in the Tamworth final third. I can remeber three times in this period when a ball flashed across the face of the Tamworth net, just begging to be tapped in. Particularly culpable of not finishing was Rob Wolleaston, who failed to react to a cross as there was a defender in front of him who totally missed it when Wolleaston clearly assumed he wouldn't. A real shame as the move leading up to the chance was probably more than 15 passes and had switched across the field at least twice, would have been a goal to remember.
Also of note was Tamworth's Portugese 'keeper Jose Veiga looking rather flappy on crosses, having dropped one in the first half and another couple early in the second. This encouraged Cambridge to get close to him, which Robbie Simpson took a bit too far and fouled him. The ref spotted it and awarded the free-kick but Veiga wouldn't leave it at that, and chased Simpson to confront him, which prompted the ref, who I speculate is not a fan of Jens Lehmann, to yellow card the 'keeper. I think this is to be encouraged, as 'keepers get away with too much of this sort of thing.
Soon after this came the key incident in the match. A cross from the right was headed by the Tamworth defence more up than out. It dropped near the right edge of the penalty area, in space. Two players went for it, Dan Gleeson and Veiga. Gleeson got there first and headed it over the 'keeper. Who, unable to stop his headlong dash, then poleaxed Gleeson, leaving both players needing treatment. Clear penalty, and equally clear yellow card, which meant red. You don't often get 'keepers sent-off for two yellows, do you?
It quickly became apparent how stupid Veiga's first yellow had been; Tamworth didn't have a sub 'keeper on the bench! The centre-back Briscoe went in goal, having retrieved the 'keeping jersey from the tunnel. Robbie Simpson took the penalty and took a fair risk, I think. He seemed to assume that Briscoe was no cop at all as a 'keeper and carefully placed the ball on target but not that hard or near the corner. Fortunately Simpson was right as Briscoe dived (flopped more like) the wrong way.
The rest of the game was fairly tepid. Tamworth changed 'keeper again as Briscoe was clearly a bad choice, but at the important end they only had one shot that I remember, well over. Cambridge had a lot of play and a few chances, but nothing really clear cut, but then as Tamworth were clearly wilting, a second wasn't needed.

Chant of the day "One team in Cambridge". Well, Histon is a village just outside town. North of the A14 is a whole other world...

[ 28.04.2007, 20:21: Message edited by: Janik ]

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Janik, I'm looking forward to the derby next year.

Was Simpson from City?

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC