This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Leeds United relegated (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 108 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  106  107  108   
Author Topic: Leeds United relegated
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they go in on the 7th, then they'll start on minus 10, which isn't a great start in the big push.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Batty - I've just read a report of the game that suggests that a fan ran on the pitch and pushed our striker Billy Clarke when he was being booked for time-wasting - is that true?
Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're not treated as a special case, statto, all clubs that have that element are treated the same in most people's eyes.

Well, to an extent I take your point, but where are the comments saying, for example:

quote:
As long as you have fans like that Birmingham, I'm afraid days like this will be very unpopular to other fans.
Is it just a downwardly mobile phenomenon?
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read similar reports, but I wasn't in a position to see if it happened, it was all on the other side of the pitch, I hate to get all Arsene Wenger on you - if it did happen, I am sure the inquiry will document it...
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it might be little too soon to mention this?;

-

Just trying to find a silver lining, you know.

[ 30.04.2007, 11:20: Message edited by: Harry Grindell Matthews ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
houdi elbow said:

quote:
Sympathy to statto and battylad (and I never thought I'd say that to Leeds fans). To put the crowd trouble into perspective, having just escaped from St Andrews with my life I'd just like to say thank God I won't be going there next season. Or ever hopefully.

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed he did, and I'm very grateful that he did. Not quite the same as the sort of thing Phoebe was saying, IMHO, though, and still the only post on Birmingham since Saturday I think. They certainly haven't had a load of people talking about how upsetting it is that they've been promoted which, I think, goes against Phoebe's claim that all us "problem" clubs are treated the same by other fans.
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to my paper they had played five and a half minutes of stoppage time and the ref added another one and a half after the invasion.
Seven minutes! I was at Barnsley where three of the four officials were from Yorkshire.
Not that I am hinting at anything here...

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed he did, and I'm very grateful that he did. Not quite the same as the sort of thing Phoebe was saying, IMHO, though, and still the only post on Birmingham since Saturday I think. They certainly haven't had a load of people talking about how upsetting it is that they've been promoted which, I think, goes against Phoebe's claim that all us "problem" clubs are treated the same by other fans.

Well that would be because (a) Leeds are a bigger club than Birmingham, and (b) enjoying the failures of a big club is vastly more fun than lamenting the successes of another. Particularly as Birmingham getting promoted to the Premiership is, these days, pretty much par for the course, and certainly not an oddity, while Leeds going down to the 3rd division is undoubtedly a considerable deviation from the norm.

I honestly don't think your persecution complex is merited here, statto.

[ 30.04.2007, 11:38: Message edited by: Hofzinser. ]

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to compose a response but luckily Hofzinser has managed one far more clear and concise than I was managing.

If you don't understand why Leeds humiliation is being so celebrated Statto then I think you're missing part of how football works.

Also, while I'm glad that this board is largely free of the usual tiresome stand-offs between supporters, it's not a support group either. When Cardiff's inevitable relegation/administration/collapse comes the last place I'll be looking for consolation is on here.

[ 30.04.2007, 11:47: Message edited by: Harry Grindell Matthews ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

You've made my point for me in some ways, I think, Hofsinzer.

With regard to the last paragraph, if people really are laughing at you and rejoicing in your misfortune can it still accurately be described as a "persecution complex"? I mean, that implies it's not happening, right?

statto99
Member # 82

Hmmm. Maybe you're right, HGM. As I said earlier, I'm struggling a bit to see where the joy is in having a go at us at this precise moment, though. I mean, it's hardly as if we need taking down a peg or two. And I think we actually often are quite supportive of people whose clubs are in a bad way through little fault of their own which is what made the beginnings of this thread a bit startling. I have, as I mentioned earlier, been heartened by some of the more balanced stuff since Saturday night. The to-and-fro that Phoebe took up again this morning is still having Saturday's argument in many ways.
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With regard to the last paragraph, if people really are laughing at you and rejoicing in your misfortune can it still accurately be described as a "persecution complex"? I mean, that implies it's not happening, right?

No, it implies that it's happening to your club because everyone hates your club in particular much more than any other club.

Whereas I would contend that there's a considerable amount of schadenfreude from other fans any time a big club finds itself rubbing shoulders with the likes of Cheltenham and
Gillingham (and playing in a league below Scunthorpe and, potentially, Yeovil). I'm sure I can remember similar kinds of comments when Man City found themselves playing local league derbies against Macclesfield.

I admit that I was pleased to see Leeds go down but this was almost entirely to do with Bates and Wise and nothing to with it being Leeds specifically.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

quote:
No, it implies that it's happening to your club because everyone hates your club in particular much more than any other club.

I think you also suggested is was worse for us than it would be for Birmingham because we're a bigger club, which I reckon implies at least that people have more residual hate for us than at least any club "smaller" than us. So that point we're disliked more than most other clubs. It's just a question then of are we disliked more than clubs "bigger" than us. If that's also true, are we not hated more than any other particular club?

I'm just chasing the arguments down, really. I don't have any passion in this discussion at this stage and you and I may be the only two people still interested.

Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

I think if you were to start naming clubs which could reasonably be said to be bigger than Leeds, then there would be at least as much "pleasure" if they were to find themselves in a similar plight, and probably more (absolutely definitely more in many cases).

Would it not be slightly odd, and against the natural order of things, if Leeds weren't disliked more by more neutrals than, say, Lincoln? (And, of course, you could switch Leeds for any number of big clubs, and Lincoln for any number of small ones.)

I also think you fail to appreciate the extent to which the presence of Bates and Wise makes Leeds a tempting target for schadenfreude (regardless of whether their presence has anything at all to do with the fans).

This topic comprises 108 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  106  107  108   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC