This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » 'Tom Hark'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Tom Hark'
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the first half of the Old Firm game earlier (I turned it off at the interval because Celtic were blatantly not trying), and when Artur Boruc fumbled Boyd's weak shot to give the Huns their first goal, the Ibrox PA system played 'Tom Hark' by the Piranhas.

And then I was channel-flicking a little while ago and stumbled upon Linfield v Dungannon on BBC 2 Northern Ireland. Linfield scored a goal, and the Windsor Park tannoy blasted out another few bars of 'Tom Hark'.

Does this piece of music have some obscure loyalist connotations that I haven't been told about?

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, it just seems to have infected football grounds in the last 5 years or so.

Whenever I hear it I wonder why more people don't play 'Summer Fun' by The Barracudas, they were either in the chart (and on TOTP) at the same time or it's a fish reference that links them in my mind.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Tom Hark" is an old South African kwela tune. Annoys me that everybody associates it with the Piranhas.

Just as "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" is associated with all kinds of US goons and The Lion King, but the South African guy who composed it never saw a red cent for it.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original of "Tom Hark" is by Elias And His Zig Zag Jive Flutes. I have no idea why I remember that.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Impact Substitute
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Impact Substitute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where the tune made it's first appearance on the terraces? You know, in how we can trace 'Go West' back to half time of the PSG - Arsenal Cup Winners Cup Semi Final in 1994, when the score was 'one-nil to the Arsenal'.

[ 06.05.2007, 18:57: Message edited by: Liberal Al ]

Posts: 1074 | From: a whisper to a scream | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob_afcb
Member # 623

- posted      Profile for Rob_afcb         Edit/Delete Post 
AFC Bournemouth used to repeatedly sing the praises of 'star' striker Tony Funnell using that song. That was around the 81-82 season.
Posts: 233 | From: In All Departments | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Casper
Member # 131

- posted      Profile for Billy Casper         Edit/Delete Post 
When the song was originally in the charts Barnsley fans would sing;

Rotherham sing
I don't know why
'Cos after the match
They're gonna die.

Posts: 99 | From: Baaarrnsli | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, SR, I didn't know that. Only that it is a South African tune which most people think is not South African. I hope Elias and pals got royalties out of "Tom Hark".
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blade in residence
Member # 815

- posted      Profile for blade in residence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Does anyone know where the tune made it's first appearance on the terraces? You know, in how we can trace 'Go West' back to half time of the PSG - Arsenal Cup Winners Cup Semi Final in 1994, when the score was 'one-nil to the Arsenal'."

The first time I heard it played as a goal jingle was at Turf Moor about 2001/2? The idea was nicked by the Bramall Lane DJ who released it as a CD under the name of "The Der-der-der song" by "The Gaz band" It all went to his head a bit with hopes of a Top of The Pops appearance. He probably has about 50,000 unsold copies in his garage.
There have been half hearted pleas on the Blades forum to drop the goal jingle as anyone with a braincell finds it a bit embarrassing. Unfortunately, we have about 25,000 morons who are quite happy to wave their arms around to the tune after every goal. I hope they did'nt buy the CD.

Posts: 161 | From: bladeland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC