This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Safe Terracing? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Safe Terracing?
Gonzo
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Gonzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Just caught Richard Caborn on the BBC there, who dismissed the FSF Report, StandUpSitDown campaign and Football Fans Census figures calling for a return to 'safe standing', on the basis of a recent 'debrief' in Stuttgart.

He claimed that Beckenbauer said the Germans were 'revisiting' their strategy, due to problems of domestic hooliganism at such grounds with the interchangeable standing.
Does anyone know about such problems? Or was it a sop to ignore supporters views....

Posts: 2962 | From: The Pale, Erin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure German hoolie types usually sit down, near the away fans.

Beckenbauer probably wants to charge English prices.

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This pretty much sounds like cobblers by Caborn...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzo
Member # 1592

He wittered on about nostalgic times at Bramhall Lane and how traumatic post-Hillsborough was, which is fair enough.
But all that was a long time ago and technology has moved on. No-one banned steps at stadia because of Ibrox....

However failed to address why terracing or standing is allowed at other sports like Rugby(both codes), cricket and motor racing amongst others.....

Posts: 2962 | From: The Pale, Erin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He also failed to address why some wednesday fans getting beaten up by the police at Derby was 'shaming football' when he was asked about it.

His comments about an 11 year old girl getting hit in the face by a flare at the 2002 Brammall lane derby went like this:

'.......'

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is clearly bollocks.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzo
Member # 1592

Beginning to think so;In that case he should be called to account. As he's deceiving the punters live on the State's national radio service....
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FSF made an FOI request for the information the DCMS have been quoting in letters from Caborn saying how all-seater stadia have made a huge impact on how many women now watch football at hihgbury. They came back to say that they couldn't find the information actually. They've been written to asking if they'll stop using it, since they can't prove it.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He also failed to address why some wednesday fans getting beaten up by the police at Derby was 'shaming football' when he was asked about it.
Was that the last game of the season, last year? I was at Derby station, changing trains to Nottingham, and saw all that happen.

I didn't realise it ever got mentioned in the press though? It was the most over-the-top policing I've ever seen.

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

I think it was in the same season as the flare incident, but there's usually trouble at Derby. Our cunts their cunts and the polics always spoil what could be a decent day out.
gialloblu
Member # 1211

- posted      Profile for gialloblu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He claimed that Beckenbauer said the Germans were 'revisiting' their strategy, due to problems of domestic hooliganism at such grounds with the interchangeable standing.
Over the past few weeks there have been hooligan problems at motorway service stations (some Bayern supporters from the Schickeria ultra group got nationwide banning orders for that), at regional cup matches (some much publicized cases involved Lok Leipzig and Dynamo Dresden), lower league amateur matches and even at schoolboy matches for 14-year-olds.

However I can't think of a single case when there's been serious crowd trouble inside any of the top leagues grounds since interchangeable standing was invented. Even if there had been trouble, one shouldn't blame it on a solution that most fans support, especially as it offers a loophole to UEFA's or FIFA's ideas about how modern football should be watched. Blaming interchangeable standing for crowd trouble is about as clever as blaming a larger choice of foods inside football grounds for crowd trouble.

Caborn's claim quite obviously is a lie.

Posts: 393 | From: where parents call their kids Kevin-Prince | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzo
Member # 1592

Thanks G.

So why did he blether on about it on national radio;does he really think the public are that stupid? And a bad reflection on the BBC if anyone has any influence in that respect.

SamLKelly
Member # 6163

- posted      Profile for SamLKelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may not be the only one on here, but during my time at uni I worked for two years as a stadium security steward. Phenomenally easy job to get, and it paid me just over £30 a pop to be in the stadium whilst - coincidentally - the team I support were playing. Josť Mourinho very nearly tripped over me on that infamous touchline sprint after Porto got their injury time winner in 2004. I wish he had done now.

Anyway, I digress. The point is: Old Trafford, and I suspect the majority of if not all other top-flight football grounds in this country, is crawling with CCTV cameras. The security generally is very tight as well. I do realise my colleagues and I were, in the eyes of some fans, responsible for a 'lack of atmosphere', but my point is: with such measures in place, and in particular with a CCTV system that can zoom right in on someone's face and see them as clearly as if they were standing in front of you, literally anyone in the stadium, safe terracing is surely possible.

The technology we have now that we didn't at the time of Hillsbrough, on its own, makes this safe. The fact that security now also have a somewhat more sensible attitude (I know they're not everyone's favourite people - I was one, remember! - but we didn't hit people with sticks or ignore pleas for help) and we don't have those dreadful bloody fences any more just adds to it.

I really wish they'd bring back terracing. It's not the same watching a game sitting down.

Posts: 355 | From: Exiled in North Somerset | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. River and Man Utd. One for plucky underdogs, eh, Sam? [Insert smiley, winky thing].

The CCTV connection is interesting. In the wake of Catania, the government is pushing for stewards here (they are far from ubiquitous and the ones that do exist tend to be ineffective and avoid the home Curva).

There is a lot of sceptcism that this is going to work for a host of reasons, including lack of training, Italian attitudes towards authority, the historical ineptitude/brutality of the Italian police and the nature of Italian curvae (all of which of course interact), but I haven't heard anyone discuss cameras in this regard. I certainly can see how their existence would change the way stewarding would work.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Paxton Sprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I am at Spurs I've been standing every game for the last four years. There's been no trouble despite the away fans also being up the same end of the ground.

If Mr Caborn wants to see hooligans in action he ought to hang around Tottenham High Road after games v Arsenal, Chelsea or West Ham. I know for a fact many of them sit in parts of the ground you wouldn't expect because the opportunity for aggro in the ground is virtually nil.

Mr Caborn needs to extract his head from his arse and see that limited capacity, season ticket holder only standing areas can work.

Posts: 497 | From: where I'm standing behind the goal that was clearly offside | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC