This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Safe Terracing? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Safe Terracing?
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about it, they have closed off the front four rows of our South Stand in a bid to stop people standing too...
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob_afcb
Member # 623

- posted      Profile for Rob_afcb         Edit/Delete Post 
And still standing in grounds is on the increase.
Posts: 233 | From: In All Departments | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He...? Is that not supposed to be illegal?
There was some vague twittering about clubs wanting their grounds to have German style terracing, but as it happens I don't think it is actually illegal to have standing sections. I might be very very wrong about that mind you.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob_afcb
Member # 623

- posted      Profile for Rob_afcb         Edit/Delete Post 
Liquidator I think the FSF report actually stated that its not illegal.

The "all-seater by stealth" model was pursued by the Football Foundation refusing to give grants for safe terracing. Having the FLA zealot John De Quidt on the panel didn't help.

Posts: 233 | From: In All Departments | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love some kind of return to standing, but these days are gone: Swindon V Leeds 1990...

-

Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for a woman in that photo is like Where's Waldo.

I've found one... And perhaps another one but I'm not so sure.

edit: four now, wasn't looking down the front.

[ 24.03.2008, 21:52: Message edited by: bryanattoni ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 right off the bat at the front
Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a sequel to 'Rita, Sue, and Bob Too'. Maybe 'Rita, Sue, Bob and all Bob's mates too.'.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macocha europy
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for macocha europy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another one in the front row, one in the fourth (slightly to the right), two on the far left (about medium height), one staring right at the camera in the about third row from the back, slightly left, another one two rows in front of her.
Posts: 7953 | From: Tank Meadow, Munich North | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

- posted      Profile for Big Dave's Gusset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remind me who won that match, Battylad?

(without reminding me who has won every encounter since, please)

[ 25.03.2008, 11:01: Message edited by: Big Dave's Gusset ]

Posts: 2991 | From: Duck Island | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

Your lot - 3-2 I think...
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

- posted      Profile for Big Dave's Gusset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct.

It's in my top five favourite matches of all time, that.

Is that Cliff Richard in the middle of the Leeds support?

Posts: 2991 | From: Duck Island | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Paxton Sprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He...? Is that not supposed to be illegal?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was some vague twittering about clubs wanting their grounds to have German style terracing, but as it happens I don't think it is actually illegal to have standing sections. I might be very very wrong about that mind you.

I don't know the answer to this but I'm pretty certain that a ground wouldn't be licenced if it wasn't 'all seater' so games would have to be played to empty stadiums.

The legal niceties do not address the point that there are regularly 3,000+ standing at Spurs and that the Germans can do it legally and safely in much larger numbers.

Anyone who has read the fantastic 'Engineering Archie' (about Archibald Leitch, designer of a large number of football grounds around mass terracing) will know that the design principle then was 'two can stand where one will sit' in terms of space. In a modern, safety focussed world I believe that this is no longer true and 'one standing where one sits' is a principle that would avoid overcrowding and is more in line with treating people as customers rather than cattle.

Posts: 497 | From: where I'm standing behind the goal that was clearly offside | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC