This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Statto Help Needed - Dundee Utd, Wolves, Aberdeen, Hibs, Shamrock, Glentoran, Stoke (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Statto Help Needed - Dundee Utd, Wolves, Aberdeen, Hibs, Shamrock, Glentoran, Stoke
My Boy Harry
Member # 7502

- posted      Profile for My Boy Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing, I'm not so sure that the picture of Kezar that you posted is from that time. I have another from the 1960's and the stadium is smaller than this and has distinct "bleachers" as opposed to symetrical.

I think the picture you posted might be from around the 1970's onwards mark. I wonder if it was renovated in the late 1960's?

Posts: 41 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, it took us about forty years to figure that out.

The new "soccer specific" stadia are also a good size for concerts, and tend to be built so as to allow for expansion to 30,000 or so. One of the downsides of the fact that many are also intended to serve as concert venues is that they often lack one "end", which is reserved for the concert stage and related installations.

Watching a "real" football match in a traditional baseball stadium was always a wierd experience because baseball stands are not parallel. The really cheap seats for football in a place like Yankee Stadium would actually be pointing away from the pitch.

You can get a decent idea of the geometric challenge from this:

-

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whereabouts on the biscuit tin would the cheap seats be?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, sir:

It's Kezar:

-

There isn't a date on this, but from the players and uniforms (49ers/Colts, if you care); it is from the late 50s to early 60s.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

GO,

The two matches that I went to at Yankee Stadium as a little kid were played on a pitch parallel to the stands on the first base side of the field(i.e, lower right corner of the tin).

The very cheap seats (empty in my experience) were on the opposite (3rd base) side, in the outfield , and you can see from the tin that they are oriented in a way that would be parallel to the football touch line, but beyond it.

The large stand towards the middle of the top are the "bleachers" which are the cheapest seats for baseball and not terrible for football, as they were at least paralell to the touch line, though they were quite far away.

The New York Giants gridiron team played in Yankee Stadium for many years with exactly the same geometric issues.

ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exploding Vole briefly covers this tournament in his recent WSC book 'Soccer in a football world'..
Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gypsydownunder
Member # 257

- posted      Profile for gypsydownunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glentoran played as the Detroit Cougars. UTV had a programme about it recently - here's the press release.

UTV FOCUS REMEMBERS THE DETROIT COUGARS

UTV’s Neil Brittain takes a nostalgic look back at the summer of 1967, when Irish League side Glentoran became the Detroit Cougars, took on some of the best teams in the world and returned to Belfast as heroes. Take a step back in time with UTV Focus – The Cougars on Wednesday, 23rd May, at 22.00.

Exactly 40 years ago on May 23 1967, Irish League Champions, Glentoran left Belfast to take part in a tournament aimed at establishing soccer as a major sport in the USA.

The organisers brought clubs from around the world to America. Glentoran were based in Detroit and - because of the city’s association with the motor industry - they became known as the Detroit Cougars (after the Ford motor car of the same name).

The Glens were in exalted company. Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sunderland, Hibernian and Cagliari of Italy were some of the other teams taking part. There was little expectation that Glentoran would be successful, but under the leadership of charismatic manager John Colrain, they won three matches, drew six and lost just three. They came back to a heroes’ reception – hundreds of people lined the streets as they made their way back to The Oval.

More success was to come that year. Glentoran drew Benfica in the European Cup - one of football’s most famous sides - and a team with one of the world’s best players – Portugal striker Eusebio. In the first game in Belfast, Glentoran took an early lead but Eusebio equalised for the visitors and the tie went to Portugal; level at one all.

Hundreds of fans made the trip out to Lisbon - hoping rather than expecting - that John Colrain’s side would get a result. At The Stadium of Light, in front of 40,000 supporters, the Glens again held their illustrious opponents. The game finished scoreless - Glentoran went out on away goals but once again they had impressed the football world. Colrain said afterwards: “We could have played all night and they would never have scored. I’m proud of my team – every one of them.”

The tale of that side in 1967 has gone down in Glentoran folklore. Forty years on UTV has brought the side back together for a nostalgic look back at that historic season.

Veteran sports’ journalist Malcolm Brodie shares his thoughts on a team he describes as the best club side he has seen in Irish League Football. Former players Walter Bruce, Billy Sinclair, Billy McCullough, Tommy Jackson, Jim Weatherup, Billy McKeag, Trevor Thompson and Harry Creighton talk about the Detroit Cougars’ tour and those matches against Benfica.

Recently unearthed old film shot in America complements UTV archive footage, as the great moments from 1967 come to life on the small screen. Film clips of the team leaving are shown, as well as highlights of the trip to Benfica, vox pops with the fans and footage of the match. Archive interviews with the team are used and we hear from the enigmatic John Colrain. Photographs, pendants and programmes - everything that remains from Glentoran 1967 - is showcased in what is a complete record of that marvellous year for Irish League Football.

UTV Focus – The Cougars, Wednesday, 23rd May at 22.00 on UTV.
-Ends-
For further information contact the UTV Press Office on 02890 262 187

Posts: 524 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gypsydownunder
Member # 257

- posted      Profile for gypsydownunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found a link to the programme .

It's worth a look. If only for the brilliant  - Glentoran shirts.

And I don't even really like Glentoran!

[ 11.07.2007, 10:29: Message edited by: gypsydownunder ]

Posts: 524 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies for not responding to your PM, MBH. I rarely get to OTF these days, and even e-mail is sometimes beyond me. Someone pointed me in the direction of this thread, and I thought it would be best to reply publicly, in case anyone else is interested.

Line-ups for the United Soccer Association don’t seem to have survived, for a number of reasons. I suspect whatever "official statistics" the league kept were tossed in the bin after the merger with the NPSL. Like a lot of events in American soccer history, it all mattered a lot less back then than it does now.

Newspaper reports generally aren't much help either. After the war American papers pretty much abandoned the convention of providing team line-ups, and in a lot of cities USA/NPSL match reports were fairly terse anyway. The British hacks covering the USA for their local press seem to have been more interested in feature writing - marvelling over the fancy hotels, huge scoreboards, and nubile cheerleaders - than reporting on the actual matches. I guess that's understandable. I’ve spent quite some time in the National Library of Scotland looking through the Dundee Courier reports on Dundee United’s time as the Dallas Tornado; there’s hardly a team line-up to be found. The same can be said for the Dallas papers I’ve looked at. It might be different in Vancouver, but I doubt it.

The British perspective seems to have been that the USA wasn’t so much a league as a friendly tournament, similar to those that Bill Cox had been organising for years as the International Soccer League. Which I suppose it was. As you may know, the USA had originally intended to start in 1968 but when the NPSL jumped the gun they organised a “mini-league” for ’67 as a stop-gap.

That Golden Gate Gales photo, by the way, looks like it’s from a USA match with Vancouver (Sunderland) on 28 May 1967. Some teams had strips designed for them – Glentoran and Den Haag being two – but others played in the same colours they did back home. (There used to be a fantastic team photo of the 1967 Dallas Tornado, in all their columbia-blue-and-burnt-orange splendour, on Dundee United’s website, but it appears to have been removed; for some reason United came to call their orange tangerine). But a number of foreign clubs also came to North America that summer to participate in warm-up matches before the actual USA “season” started. So that team in white may actually have been a team from outside the league. It might even be Real Madrid – if memory serves they played West Ham in the Astrodome that season, the first proper football match ever to be played indoors. I haven’t researched the Gales too thoroughly, but a subscription to Newspaperarchive.com will provide you with access to the Oakland Tribune, which gave both local franchises plenty of coverage.

Thanks to everybody for the plugs for my book, by the way. I'm pleased it passes muster with the august OTF community.

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My Boy Harry
Member # 7502

- posted      Profile for My Boy Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply. Its late, I'm off to bed now but I've been pointed in the direction of your post. I'll reply more thoruoghly over the weekend.
Posts: 41 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC