This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The Blind Leading the Blind

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Blind Leading the Blind
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some poor Scottish kid has been invited to goal keeper's training at the Ajax acadamy.

This is the same Ajax academy you'll remember that has produced a never-ending stream of goalkeeping basket-cases for the last 30 years. Stanley Menzo, Boy Waterman, Maarten Stekelenburg, Serge van den Ban, Kenneth Vermeer, Joey Didlulica. The list is endless. The only decent keeper they've produced since the 70's is van der Sar - who they signed as a striker.

(0 thread)

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the great Fred Grim, who set Celtic on their way in 2001 by dropping a harmless cross at the feet of Bobby Petta.

Bogdan Lobont has a few defenders on here, but every time I see him play he seems to do something bizarre.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Grim was one of the al-time-great nutty Ajax goalies, I just didn't include him because he wasn't academy trained, he came from JOS.

Lobont was a good shot-stopper, but he did sadly get into trouble when he was required to think. Still an improvement on Stekelenburg and Grim though.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any comments on this guy? Now that Ed de Goey's one of our coaches I confidently expect a flood of eager young Dutch goalkeeping prospects down the Bush. Whether any of them are any good (or whether we have any money to pay them) is quite a different matter.

BTW what's FC Omniworld?

[ 21.07.2007, 19:52: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pawlu
Member # 1406

- posted      Profile for pawlu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Stanley Menzo: for some reason he was one of my favourite players as a kid. I even repainted my subbuteo goalkeeper so that I could play with Menzo in goal.

Oh, and I've just recalled about another childhood favourite: Michel Preud'homme. Seem to recall him playing out of his skin against AC Milan in the Champions League for Mechelen (whom the Italian commentator referred to as Malines). Was terribly saddened when I heard they had gone bust or almost a couple of years back.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

I've never heard of this guy Molenaar AdeC, but the fact that he was AZ's third choice goalkeeper behind the hilariously inept Boy Waterman doesn't bode well.

F.C. Omniworld are a newish professional football club playing in the lower reaches of the First division.

Staney Menzo was not without talent, but under Johan Cruijff's tutelage he became ever more bonkers, given to rushing out to the half-way line to rugby tackle on-rushing forwards. His style in the closing days of his career was to play much of the game outside his box, as a sort of surrogate sweeper. That's what Cruijff liked.

[ 22.07.2007, 09:53: Message edited by: The Purple Cow ]

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TPC's description of Menzo is spot on; he had genuine talent, but sort of lost his mind in a footballing sense. Cruiff was largely responsible and Menzo couldn't put the pieces make together even after leaving Holland (some of his howlers at Bordeaux are legendary).

Pawlu, Mechelen never really disappeared. Their financial house of cards came crashing down, but they were just promoted to the Belgian First Division. Their official name is now Y.R.K.V. Mechelen, with the YR standing for "Yellow Red" (English in the original).

Malines is the French name for the city of Mechelen, as Bruges is that for Brugge and Anvers that for Antwerpen. I remember being confused by that at the time, because French sources would always call them Malines and German sources Mechelen (and I hadn't yet been to Mechelen, which is between Brussels and Antwerp); for a while I wondered if they were different clubs.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks TPC.

Is there any reason Dutch goalkeepers possess names of peripheral characters in Scott Fitzgerald novels? Beau Molenaar, Boy Waterman, Fred Grim. OK the latter has more of Dickensian twang, but you know what I mean.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC