This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Football Books (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Football Books
pawlu
Member # 1406

- posted      Profile for pawlu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One book that I've just remembered of is Daniel Taylor's Deep into the Forest. It is a simple concept really: interview's with some of Forest's best players but the book is written with passion and intelligence that I read it in one sitting even though I'm not a Forest fan.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtho
Member # 902

- posted      Profile for Furtho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah crap. That's what you get for skim-reading a nine-page thread before posting.

Well, any more ideas?

[ 16.08.2007, 11:47: Message edited by: Furtho ]

Posts: 2913 | From: The Slow Lane | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mats balja arvidsson
Member # 1253

- posted      Profile for mats balja arvidsson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give Calcio a chance. It may be slightly boring, in parts, at the beginning but it gets better and I thought it was really interesting.

Fever Pitch is also great and should not be lumped together with the (mostly) awful subsequent copycat attempts.

As for autobiographies, I usually like biogs better than auto-ones, as few players/managers are as candid and self-critical as, say, Tony Adams and Cascarino ("Managing My Life" vs "The Boss" being a case in point, I think). Though obviously anything by Brian Clough is worth reading. ("Keane" is also better than any book written about him that I know of, btw.)

David Conn's books, Football against the enemy, Morbo and Tor have already been mentioned, though I am not sure if "The Miracle of Castel di Sangro" has. I thought it was in the top 3 or 4 of football books that I have read.

At the moment I am reading "Sing When You're Winning" (pictured by ganja earlier), which - although it does cover some old ground here and there - is very entertaining and worth a read.

For those who read Swedish, I would recommend "När Malmö var näst bäst i Europa" (I think it is called - i.e., "When Malmö were second best in Europe"), which was written by Offside magazine contributor Mats Weman to celebrate the 25th anniversary of our EC final v Forest in 1979. Some great stories there from a lost era (when I started to watch football, in Malmö).

[ 16.08.2007, 12:13: Message edited by: that lanky swede ]

Posts: 511 | From: the cold bench | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zorg the Leveller
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Zorg the Leveller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any uncertainty over Barnes' involvement with Out of my Skin is surely ended by comparison with his autobiography. I was at my most impressionable when Barnes was at Watford, in my mind's eye he regularly beat entire teams with the ball tied to his foot (often Liverpool). But I couldn't get through it, turgid, bland tosh.

Jamie Lawrence's From Prison to the Premiership however is a good read. He comes across as almost completely unlikeable, but is pretty candid and there are several laugh-out-loud moments. As a Watford fan, Craig Ramage's brief cameo was one.

Posts: 84 | From: Watford | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
daniel taylor has a new one out called "this is the one: sir alex ferguson, the uncut story of a football genius." i've only started it and as you can surmise from the subtitle it's rather pro-fergie, but it seems pretty good so far.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds shit.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lend it to me when you're finished.

Do you still have my Collymore book?

[ 16.08.2007, 16:06: Message edited by: Michael 'The Stroke' Fahy ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you read it?
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading Dougie Brimson's Rebellion, on "The Growth of Football's Protest Movement". It's a collection of essays of varying length and quality by participants in protests at British clubs since the 1980s.

It's a little hit and miss -- a couple of the chapters could have been cut, and the copyediting and writing are not always top-notch. And it's obviously not trying to be balanced.

The chapter on the Albion is particularly good, an exhaustive and well-written account of the long road since the Goldstone was sold in 1996 (though of course, I am partial to that tale).

The pieces on Bournemouth and West Ham were interesting too, and of course, AFC Wimbledon and FC United are covered.

Most of the material in it will be familiar to the people here, but it's good that such a book exists as first-hand accounts of important grassroots movements.

Anyone else read it?

[ 16.08.2007, 16:28: Message edited by: goldstone97 ]

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pawlu
Member # 1406

- posted      Profile for pawlu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I admit that I've never read anything of his, the words Dougie Brimson just turn me off. Can't stand his - or his copycats - hoolie glorifying stance.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should read at least one of his books before making claims about his 'stance'. It's also not relevant to the book in question, which is not about hooliganism at all.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whats the book where some guy (i think in jail) sends spoof letters to a load of people in football and prints the replys

i recall his letters to sam hamman, where he pretended to have a load of money

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was strolling around my local waterstones when I chanced upon "The Ball Is Round, A Global History Of Football" by David Goldblatt.
900 plus pages and covered with football insiders recommendations but at £16 I thought a second (otf) opinion was in order.
BUT my local library had it and its now sitting daring me to make a start.
Should I?

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC