This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Football Books (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Football Books
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ajax Barcelona Cruyff is a very entertaining collection of interviews with the charismatic loon.

I'd add Ajax, The Dutch, The War to Ursus' Kuper recommendation, though I understand it to be even more frowned upon on OTF than his other work.

I really liked Jimmy Burns' Maradona book, Hand of God, but his Barca history was quite hard going.

Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah! here is my offering from last time. at least i am consistent. also, arredverci swansea is excellent

mention for dynamo as well (as in kiev)

the three daddys in my opinion

fever pitch

all played out

morbo

bit predictable. oh, of course the soul crew book!! actually i have read it, the scariest thing is the number of games i was at when they caused bollocks and i had no idea there had been any trouble

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I remember Dunphy's 'Only a Game' and Garry Nelson's 'Left Foot Forward' being very good recollections of what it must be like to actually play the game professionally, though they might have been superceded by Cascarino's now.

[ 24.07.2007, 18:49: Message edited by: The Harry Secombe Golf Classic ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Football Grounds Of Great Britain" and "Educating Archie", by Simon Inglis, are great if you are of a certain disposition (the same disposition as me, to be exact).

Also, "The Beautiful Game", by David Conn (which features our own dear TT) and another vote for "The Glory Game".

Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely intended to include A Season with Verona in my list and am buggered to know why it isn't there. So Harry's recommendation seconded.

I also agree with pretty much every world of Nico's post above. ABC gets the reader into Cruijff's head, which turns out to be a very strange place.

Ajax, the Dutch, the War is worth reading if you happen to have grown up with myths of Ajax or Dutch exceptionalism, but probably would have done better as a chapter in Kuper's other book.

Barca is disappointing, and it will be at least 20 years before I have time to "fix" that.

On the "practical" front, I know with ontological certainty that Harry will second my nomination of:

True Colours (vols. 1 and 2)

(unless BDG gets in first), and I also highly recommend Simon Inglis's Football Grounds of Britain/Europe.

On the business side, I like the David Conn books.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inglis' 'Sightlines' is good too, but football is only the most prominent sport covered in it.

Now I want to go and scour the football shelves of my office at home and make a longer list.

[ 24.07.2007, 18:56: Message edited by: The Harry Secombe Golf Classic ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

Duly seconded UA, didn't think we were going to go on to reference books or the three volumes of Cardiff City - Archive Photos 1899-1991 would be there too.
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

Are we allowing 'Damned Utd', by the way?
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The true colours books are a thing of beauty.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should. It's a book about football and it's very good...
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget "The Damned United" by David Peace.
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. And I got the title wrong.
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nil a fhios agam
Member # 1386

- posted      Profile for Nil a fhios agam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks goldstone97, that was the thread I was thinking of. I've read quite a few of the books here and enjoyed pretty much all mentioned. Still, a few extra to add to my 'to read' list, so not a wasted effort for me.

Is Mario Risoli the guy who wrote a biography of John Charles? I was disappointed with that book, there was a lot more material there to make a better book.

Posts: 921 | From: Fair City | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

That was Risoli and unfortnately that's his style, pretty prosaic recounting of stories that could be far more excitingly told.

I don't think there has been one single book about anything to do with Welsh football that would make a must read list actually (I know, niche market, ha ha).

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a must read book on Welsh rugby?

[Genuine question.]

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC