This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » A-League 2007/2008 (Page 15)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: A-League 2007/2008
Phormic
Member # 550

- posted      Profile for Phormic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- 2 goalkeepers with moustaches. In an eight team league that is impressive.

After re-reading my comments I've realised they're mostly about the facial hair of the players but, in reality, what is more important than that?

Not wanting to burst your bubble but most of the facial hair has been due to it being "Mouvember" in Oz, with donations for facial hair growth over the month, going to charity.

Some players have been sporting quite impressive handlebar moustaches - it's given the league a cool retro vibe. Even some of the commentators have been joining in the fun with Simon Hill sporting a stylish goatee.

Posts: 148 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SS, if you have Fox Soccer Channel, there's a mostlyweekly half hour highlights show Wednesdays at 8:30PM EST, repeated at 11:30PM
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, jefe.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having watched three news bulletins without the score changing I can now accept that Glory has won its first match at home for over a year.

Middle Ethan and I were still nervous when there was one minute of the three minutes added time to go, such has been our ability to snatch draws and defeats from the jaws of victory (see what I did there?).

David Mitchell's astoundingly innovative tactic of playing people in their correct positions paid off with Nikita Rukavystka scoring twice, one an absolute beauty.

Rumour has it that Mitchell has been offered the job long-term but (a) wants more money and (b) may have concerns about the CEO and co-owners trying to pick his team in the paper.

On Melbourne: they are indeed rank. Without Muscat scaring the crap out the opposition they look very soft. Merrick has just signed a new three year deal so I don't see him going anywhere.

Daniel Allsop must have a clause in his contract that he cannot be substituted. He made Wardrobe Dragicevic look good.

Archie Thompson was superb and virtually played us on his own.

About 100 Victory fans had crossed the continent to support their team and at the end were completely ignored by the Melbourne players, who sulked off down the tunnel. Thomspon said later they were too embarrassed to go over. Bollocks to that. A piss poor excuse for piss poor behaviour.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell announced as new coach. They upped the deal.
Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To be fair, if 25,000 pour through the gates for Sydney v Necastle next week and keep coming back then I will bow to all-seeing FFA.
The crowd at Sydney v Newcastle was a pathetic, embarrassing 10,732.

That Beckham thing obviously worked really well. Wellington had a terrible attendance last night as well. Perhaps watching a "world class" player has put everybody off watching 10th rate A League players.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or perhaps the weather is just really bad....?
Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The weather was awful. From where I work, a pall came over the city at 430 PM, and it was as dark as after sunset. All cars had their lights on. Then the rain hit...

Then another pall came over the city when the game got underway - yet another stinker. You can only be glad that more people didn't watch that, as it would just be permanently off-putting.

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MA is beginning to sound like Private Frazer in "Dad's Army".... "The A League?...We're all doomed, I tell you..."
Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Round 16
Melbourne 2 Adelaide 2
Crowd 22,466

For the first time this season, I left the ground thinking that was worth the time and money. It's not a claim that means much, but this was Melbourne's best home performance of the season.

Before the game, there was yet another dreary protest. A group of spotty virgins gathered outside Telstra Dome displaying a banner which read "Telstra Dome: Killing Our Support." Clearly, these clowns are not prepared to accept responsibility for the lighting of flares or the exchange of pleasantries and missiles with the Sydney supporters a few weeks back which is the reason the entire south end is now given over to away fans. The chant was "We're outside standing up, Telstra Dome get to fuck." Apparently, the plan was to watch the game (standing up) on the big screen outside the Dome. I was surprised to learn that this sort of free viewing is available but the Dome authorities switched the screen off just as the match was starting.

Inside the ground, there was absolutely no atmosphere at all. The small crowd couldn't even manage a "Merrick Must Go" chant. By half time, though, we had a lot of noise brought about the sort of exciting, attacking play that hasn't been seen all season. Half time came as Adelaide looked set to crumble under the onslaught. The game should have been over by half time but Adelaide were 1-0 up. Matthew Kemp sliced a clearance against the post and Agostino scored while the entire Melbourne defence stood and watched.

Half time spoiled the momentum and Adelaide went 2-0 up with an almost identical goal. A shot hit the underside of the bar and Kevin's clearing header hit Agostino's head and went in.

There was a lull after this broken by 2 substitutions. When Love replaced Patafta, inexplicably the new crowd favourite, there was nearly a riot. Patafta hasn't played much so many supporters have decided, in illogical desperation, he should be in the team. He did ok but he's very lightweight and was easily brushed off the ball by Adelaide players. The huge round of booing that marked Patafta's departure (and there were clear chants of "Fuck Off Merrick" as well) became rapturous applause when Keenan replaced Kemp. Kemp, it seems, is to blame for everything that's gone wrong. Fair enough, he's shite but I felt sorry for him in his moment of humiliation.

Amazingly, after the dearture of Wonderkid Patafta, Melbourne saved the game - a Muscat penalty and a brilliant own goal in the 92nd minute. If the time added on had reflected the minutes lost through the injury to Nathan Burns, Melbourne might even have won the game. Adelaide played the last 10 minutes with 10 men having used all their subs and were on the ropes.

A point is no use though.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this is a stupid question or if it has been dealt with elsewhere, but does the A-league have relegation to a lower division or is it like the MLS? What do the lower divisions look like?

I know all the overtly "ethnic" references in the league were ditched a few years ago but are there still teams which have a significant ethnic identity?

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

There is no lower division of the A League, AG... hence there is no promotion or relegation. The state leagues, which constitute the next tier of Australian club football, have no conection with the A League. The A League will probably expand to 10 clubs within the next year or two... the new clubs will almost certainly be newly formed franchises, not existing clubs.

A League clubs don't have ethnic identities....that was one of the whole points of setting up the A League in the first place: appeal to the "broader community", and attract a crowd of 15,000 instead of 3,000. Queensland Roar are said to be distantly descended from a Dutch ethnic club Brisbane Lions (which I think used to be called Hollandia back in the sixties)- but the link is so tenuous that few people bother to raise it. Dutch ethnic clubs disapeared from most state leagues at least 25 years ago.

Trimster
Member # 1178

I only saw brief TV highlights of the Melbourne Victory - Adelaide United game... the guys doing the radio commentary I listened to seemed to think that Victory's equalising goal came about with a little help from a lenient referee! But I guess we were lucky in other respects, though, because Muscat was appearently "strangely subdued" throughout.

They also thought that Adelaide dominated the first half hour, and Melbourne only came into the game when Diego stopped playing... either he was injured or sulking, but he was off for the second half- leaving Adelaide with no playmaker and lacking three first choice central defeders, so it was always going to be a struggle to get a result, despite being two goals up.

I'll have to eat my words about Agostino, who scored two goals- but it did take him two thirds of the season to get fit, which is just far too long, really.

Have to feel for Kemp, too.... he's gone from being a reliable, if uninspired, squad player for Adelaide... to Melbourne Victory's "worst player of all time"!

The draw did neither team a favour... it is wins that are needed at this stage of the season.

Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

Bring Back Ron.

As I have consistently done throughout this thread I salute the magnificent Ron Smith and demand his reinstatement.

No other coach should have inflicted upon them the utterly dire squad that Smith assembled. He should suffer it himself.

Christmas is a time for stuffing flight-less birds. Instead we were stuffed by Kiwis.

This has been a somewhat disappointing season. A poor season, indeed some might say it has been a FUCKING DIABOLICAL DISGRACE OF A SEASON.

Some may claim we were harshly done by against Phoenix. Dealt a cruel hand by fickle fate and a fat official. However, those people would be fuckwits.

An utterly mad tackle from behind in the area saw a penalty and red card. 1-0. Defending which saw four (1,2,3,4) defenders stand in a circle while a Wellington player wandered off calmly with the ball to cross to a clearly onside colleague. 2-0. I am unable to comment clearly on goal three because I have repressed the memory. I am reasonably confident it involved crapness.

To complete a wonderful day Jamie Harnwell then got sent off for a silly challenge. Jamie has never really accepted that there is any type of tackle other than one which involves sliding. Like Larson's smoking dinosaurs, his days are numbered.

Glory now meander on to Sydney. By my count we have six players unavailable. Thanks to Ron we have three keepers in our 23 man squad. We also have Stan "fit in three weeks" Lazarides.

Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

Rather worryingly, I found myself nodding in agreement once or twice as I read this piece from today's Herald Sun about Melbourne Victory's "ugly support." I'm not referring to the hilarious description of fans walking, with terrified looks on their faces, through what sounds like a mini Baghdad set up on Spencer Street, but to the stuff about factions amongst the support.

I genuinely don't get it. As far as I can recall, there were no factions at Tannadice. We were Dundee United supporters and that was that. Who needs a BWB or an SDC or whatever these groups are called? Is it a Greek thing? Or am I old and out of touch with what the kids are thinking? Perhaps my son is a member of the PLJ or the IVF and I don't even know about it.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22896622-2883,00.html

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC