This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » A-League 2007/2008 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: A-League 2007/2008
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The God-like Ron Smith's magnificent transfer policy, which I have, as is well known, always praised, leads us unto the promised land. Well, Adelaide. Or so people believe.

I have however, twigged to what is going on.

Nobody would recognise any of Glory's new signings if they bit them on the arse with soembody else's false teeth. Hence the FFA realised that chucking any old bloke into a purple shirt for a nanosecond of TV coverage would have people thinking we actually played a game.

In reality it was all shot at Movie World on the Gold Coast some weeks ago. There IS no Perth Glory, it is all a ruse.

This is why the team has not played at home in the entire pre-season. It is also why Stan "Combover? Not me I'll just take these pills" Lazaridis has never been dealt with. He DOESN'T exist.

Once you see through the deception it is all quite obvious.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Simon Storey and Fred. No-one will notice the former has gone travelling around Europe
I got that spectacularly wrong. Simon Storey has signed for Partick Thistle.
Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So..... Adelaide United win the "Pre-Season Cup" with a 2-1 win over Perth Glory in the final. So now they have got that jinx to live with for the whole of the A League season...

And Sydney FC finish 7th and Melbourne Victory finish 8th... wonder if this will be a reflection on how the league season will go?

Left back Cassio continues to star for Adelaide- he scored his fourth goal in as many matches against Perth. Wasn't a free kick, either.... a scorching left footer from open play...

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo Bertos scores again and apparently Glory's best player. Smith takes him off and Glory lose. Idiot.

Haydn Foxe has now done a knee. officially out for eight weeks but my sources say the season. Has to be one of the finest pieces of transfer work anywhere in the world.

Of course signed Foxe because they couldn't sign Michael Mols. You couldn't make it up.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bertos was taken off because he copped an injury, UE. I thought Glory actually looked better than last season... if that is any consolation! Rukavitsya looks pretty fast... maybe he will terrorise some defences.

Foxe's career has to be the most injury plagued of any recent Australian "star"....(apart from Harry Kewell).

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

That's what I meant, Bertos was an idiot for getting injured. Curse the lack of proper coverage - no radio, no TV and now my rant is ruined.

I really, really want to be wrong but this squad looks wafer thin. An injury to either striker and we are well and truly rooted with no KY Jelly in sight.

Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting comment from Melbourne Victory chairman Geoff Lord in The Age today. When he was asked what he thought would happen if Melbourne got a second A League team, he said "riots, riots."

At the start of last year's thread, I predicted that Melbourne would finish first which produced derisive hoots of laughter from those who know nothing about football. These people looked very foolish in February. So, here is the definitive guide to the final placings in 07/08:

1 Adelaide – 1 league title, 1 Grand Final appearance, 2 pre-season cups and 2 qualifications for the Asian Champions League. Most of that was achieved under a coach who was more entertaining than the team. Things appear to be changing though. The new coach appears to be dull as hell but the football, by all accounts (well, ok, Trimster), is a lot more pleasing. Grand Final again at least.

2 Central Coast – by law there must be a team managed by a Scot in the Grand Final. Clearly, it has to be this lot.

3 Queensland – the second biggest club in Australia missed the finals by a goal last season. They've brought in Craig Moore and Danny Tiatto. The latter wanted to join his hometown club, Melbourne, but was knocked back – a massive blow for the purists who were salivating at the prospect of Tiatto and Muscat in the same team.

4 Newcastle – best team to watch last year but Nicky Carle has gone to Turkey which is a great shame. Can't see them being quite as good again.

5 Sydney – I'm expecting something revolutionary from the FFA this season – a 5 team finals series; and I trust that the administrative error which allowed the 2007 Grand Final to be held in some southern backwater between 2 teams no-one has heard of will not happen again. The MCG holds 100,000 people but, in the so called sporting capital, the crowd was just 55,436. The Grand Final must be held in the Greatest City on Earth if it's to have any credibility. If the NSW government is going to steal the Australian Open, the Australian Grand Prix, the AFL Grand Final, the Melbourne Cup and the Boxing Day test from Melbourne then commonsense says they should host the A League Grand Final as well. (Note to NSW government: you don't have to steal the Grand Prix; Melbourne's taxpayers will pay you take it).

6 Perth – stunning run to the pre-season cup final without any home games. The downside is they've done this before and they still missed the finals.

7 Wellington – shouldn't be in the league given the strong claims of Townsville, the Gold Coast. Wollongong, Canberra, Hobart, Launceston and Geelong – even Darwin would be better. Still, now that they're in, hopefully somebody will turn up to watch them. They should get off to a great start with an easy opening round win over this year's wooden spoon favourites…

…8 Melbourne – where did it all go wrong? Fred's gone; Leijer's gone; Merrick's contract talks have broken down; season ticket sales are below 20,000; Kemp looks like being the "plodder" Trimster told us he was; Muscat is too old; ex Dundee United man Brebner is always injured; Carlos "El Zorro" Hernandez is fat and unfit;Patafta is too small; Allsopp is going to be a one season wonder; worst of all, Milicevic has fallen out with Muscat and team spirit is in tatters. Now I appreciate everyone will be doing a double take looking at that statement. How can anyone fall out with easy going, mild mannered, should have been a librarian, Kevin ? Big Ljubo must be a complete and utter bastard. Of course, there was the famous Muscat v Kosmina incident last season but, as Kevin explained afterwards, they're "great mates." And how many of us have never strangled, or been strangled by, "great mates?" Let's not forget, Kosmina was the aggressor in that incident and it's a measure of the man that Kevin forgave him so readily. I think we can safely assume then that "Gandhi" is not to blame in this latest spat. I predict that, by the end of the season, Merrick will have been given his jotters and that Kevin will be coach in 08/09 and lead Melbourne to ten in a row. He can follow that by winning the 2018 World Cup for Australia at the MCG (which, of course, will have been relocated to Sydney by then). In the meantime, a season of transition.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that Lord wasn't simply suggesting the nickname the new club should choose?
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

Melbourne Victory's Tony Ising said the same thing when Victory was first formed- that Melbourne didn't need a second A League team because it would cause conflict between fans. I initially found this statement a little odd: after all, Hellas, Heidelberg, Croatia, JUST, Preston, etc had co-existed in Melbourne for decades in the NSL with hardly any fans ever being killed. But having had a good look at Victory's travelling supporters last season..... I really think they may have a point.

Amusing of you to predict Victory to finish bottom, MA.... wouldn't it be hilarious if it came true? I actually think they will be right up there again- but will find it harder than last season and there will be three or four other teams breathing down there necks right up to the last round....

Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

quote:
But having had a good look at Victory's travelling supporters last season..... I really think they may have a point.
I see what you mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--L7K5Dht_w

Trimster
Member # 1178

Highlights of the opening round of the A League this weekend:

Champions Melbourne Victory blew a 2-0 lead in Wellington, before a record NZ club match crowd of 14,000. New franchise Phoenix came back to equalise, despite missing a penalty. Shane Smeltz, who recently scored twice against Wales, was amongst their scorers.

Sydney FC lost 1-0 at home to Central Coast Mariners-despite the presence of Juninho. Former Sydney striker Sasho Petrovski was the goalscorer.

Former Rangers and Newcastle defender Craig Moore was sent off in his A League debut. His Queensland Roar side still fought back with 10 men to get a 2-2 draw at home to Adelaide United.

And, in front of the round's lowest crowd, Perth Glory were held 0-0 at home by the Newcastle Jets. "Ron Smith" is certainly a boring name for a football manager- you couldn't make it up!

Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

Entertaining football to watch overall from all the games, except for the Glory one.

Watching on TV felt odd but there was no enthusiasm from the other UEs to attend, it was raining and there is little cover at the ground.

Sadly we were eventually relieved at not having paid $70 odd bucks for three of us to go and watch what was a dire affair.

Ron Smith is a fuckwit but has an eye for comedy. He made some sort of point by leaving Jamie Harnwell out of the squad. When David Tarka went down with a bad recurrence of his old hamstring this meant the introduction of Mitchell Prentice.

Prentice has quite an amusing haircut. Sort of clown wiggish and oh, how appropriate that is.

Together with Jamie Coyne he gave perhaps the finest Synchronised Crapness at Fullback display ever seen.

Newcastle's complete inability to break down a Glory team playing like this leaves big question marks over them.

Glory's new centre forward was odd. He missed a couple of one on ones but didn't venture into the opposition six yard box at all.

Glory's midfield appears to have a rugby background and think forward passes are illegal.

Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

Round 1 almost passed me by. I'd like to have seen Friday night's game (bearing in mind the splendid outcome) but I was at Telstra Dome. Yesterday, I watched my son play in the Southern Suburbs Under 10 League (Aspendale 1 Mornington 5) and we got back home just in time to see the last 15 minutes of Wellington – Melbourne and what a horror show that was.

I don't know what the first 75 minutes were like but, based on what I saw, Melbourne were incredibly lucky to get a draw. It was an absolute siege at the end with Wellington hitting the post and missing a free header from 6 yards out.

There was an interesting piece in The Age at the weekend on snappy dresser Ljubo Milicevic.

-

He has a deep interest in literature, fashion, design, architecture, travel and discovery. He loves nothing better than sitting in cafes in Paris, Milan and Amsterdam and people watching, bizarrely adding that, "even in Melbourne (?!), you see people of different personalities and cultures. I find that inspirational."

Now I'm even more amazed that he doesn't get on with Kevin Muscat.

Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

Melbourne 0 Perth 0
Crowd 31,545

With Adelaide away and Central Coast (the only team who can win games in this league) at home in the next 2 games, Melbourne will hit bottom and stay there.

Perth might have come here intending to repeat their 11 men behind the ball performance of last season but soon woke up to the fact that Melbourne are shite and, by the second half, were completely dominating the game. Theoklitos, Muscat (of course) and late sub Love were the only Melbourne players who don't need to be ashamed of themselves.

Hernandez was awful and got subbed at half time by Patafta who was little better; Keenan did a hamstring in the first 10 minutes and his replacement, Kemp, was rubbish; Leijer is going to be a huge loss judging by the pitiful performance of Piorkowski; Thompson kept diving for penalties; Allsopp was as bad as he had been in season 1; ex Dundee United man Grant Brebner missed a sitter; Pantelides is not a footballer.

As has been pointed out many times before, Melbourne have no width. Every attack went down the middle where all the Melbourne midfielders and forwards were within a few yards of each other and the Perth defenders stopped them with ease. He may not be much good but Caceres needs to play to at least give a wide option.

Once summer comes, I will be not be happy giving up my Friday and Saturday nights to watch this garbage when I can have a barbecue and some drinks by the pool instead.

Trimster
Member # 1178

On a more positive note, Melbourne Victory's home crowd of 31,000 is a figure that most other clubs can only dream of; "big city" Sydney got only 14,000 for their home fixture this weekend. Adelaide will struggle to get 10-12,000 for their home clash with Victory next weekend, with Port Power playing a home AFL finals match at exactly the same time.

The eight team league looks like it is going to be very tight this season, with six of the eight matches so far ending in draws. The only team with any wins so far are Central Coast Mariners, a largely home grown team with no imported players. By the latter part of the season, this league could be so tight that a club could lose one match and drop to second-bottom; then win their next game and still be challenging for the "Four".

Juninho, the A League's "Mr Excitement", hit the bar twice for Sydey FC in his side's 2-2 draw with Adelaide United- then got hit by a good solid challenge and now appears to be injured.

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC