This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » A-League 2007/2008 (Page 27)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29   
Author Topic: A-League 2007/2008
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that the kind of debate that Fozzie generates on SBS is particularly beneficial to the game... and doesn't carry that much weight anyway, because he has no coaching credentials and was only a run-of-the-mill player himself. He might as well be just a bloke-in-the-pub shooting his mouth off.

A few months ago, TWG gave a brief coverage of the Australian Under 15 championships. Fozzie declared that "the standard was very disapointing... some coaches were actually trying to get their teams to win, instead of concentrating on style and technique....!"

Well, really......

SBS have been criticising the standard of the A League since it started, without even giving it chance to settle in... whereas they never said a word against the standard of the NSL- a competition which surely should have been worthy of some criticism...

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the kickoff time for the Grand Final? Fox Soccer Channel is showing it live here, on a 12-3AM EST block.
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gypsydownunder
Member # 257

- posted      Profile for gypsydownunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kick-off is 5.00pm in Sydney.
Posts: 524 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago, TWG gave a brief coverage of the Australian Under 15 championships. Fozzie declared that "the standard was very disapointing... some coaches were actually trying to get their teams to win, instead of concentrating on style and technique....!"

Now being contrary this is where Foster actually has a point.

I went to the under 15s nationals three years ago and it was scary. All except one State played with a lone striker. All the sides except one were universally big blokes who ran up and down a lot.

There was no evidence of creative midfielders, with one exception.

There was very little evidence of quick, natural finishers. Those who did look handy were hampered by having to play with their back to goal all the time or run from deep.

I said then that Australia on that evidence would produce stacks of players with a good engine and no creative edge. I have seen nothing in the A-League to contradict that except at the Roar.

Guess which State team was the exception?

Johnny Warren actually tried to do something about skills development with his kids camps.

Foster is right when it comes to youth. It is when he apparently fails to understand coaches keep their jobs by winning that it annoys me.

The current WA under 15s and 17s are great footballing sides. Foster will be disappointed to learn that their coach is English. Kenny Lowe is doing a great job.

[ 21.02.2008, 04:07: Message edited by: Uncle Ethan ]

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's disapointing, UE.... I had no idea the game was like that at Under 15 level. I'm hoping that my 12 year old foster son will switch from Aussie Rules to soccer soon, so hopefully will get to see more of junior soccer in the future.

I guess Fozzie possibly means well... it's his abrasive, humourless manner that gets my goat....

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At halftime in Hawaii, Sydney are getting savaged 3-0 by Houston. Clint somethingorother the keeper keeps getting beat at his near post, and Kosmina looked like he'd had one too many mai tai's before the game, befuzzledly watching Houston cut through his entire team.
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gypsydownunder
Member # 257

- posted      Profile for gypsydownunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sydney result. Not good.

I think Foster, does mean well. It's just that on TV he comes across as a smarmy twat. Whereas he's better in print.

So then the football powerhouses of Gold Coast and Townsville have got a team. With Woollongong and/or Canberra sure to make a case for the 11th and 12th spots, it makes it all very NSW/QLD centric. Surely there's got to be a another team from Melbourne (and it seems odd that the Townsville team is financed by a Vitorian who owns Altona FC)

Posts: 524 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You seem to be really keen on the idea of a second Melbourne team, gdu. Based on population, it's obviously logical a city with 3.8m people, which also happens to be the fastest growing in Australia, should be able to support more than one team. I think it would be a huge mistake though. Multiple teams in Qld and NSW can work because there are big population centres away from the capital. Geelong aside, that isn't the case in Victoria (Frankston is bigger than both Ballarat and Bendigo, the two biggest inland cities) and Geelong is very close to the western suburbs. Still, I'd much rather see Geelong than a second Melbourne team in the A League.

A second Melbourne team will either attract no supporters at all, because anybody who is interested already supports Melbourne Victory, or will take supporters away from Melbourne Victory, if it's representing (say) the South East, or will be ethnic based if it's South Melbourne.

According to all the stats and surveys I've ever seen, football is much bigger in NSW than in Victoria. Melbourne Victory is basically working so leave it alone. Sydney FC is not working so a second team (Western suburbs) is worth trying.

By the way, if Melbourne South East did come into being, and it did have genuine ties with the local community (not just a name), I would seriously consider jumping ship given the lack of emotional attachment I still feel with Melbourne Victory. Although I'm not, strictly speaking, in the area being suggested (I live in the City of Kingston) it's close enough to the cities of Dandenong, Frankston and Casey for me to be able to identify with it.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gypsydownunder
Member # 257

MA, yep I am (keen on a second Melb team). I lived in Melb for 10 years, so it's still kind of home.

I was in Melbourne last week and spend quiet a bit of time in Richmond (I used to live there) and Springvale. Saw the new MV shop on Swan St (and Ernie!) and it all looked good.

Whilst chatting to a few of the old boys I played with, they don't watch the Victory and all live Dandenong Frankston Springvale way. I'd hate for Melbourne to miss out (on another team).

I think Sydney IS working (just not drawing as many crowds as MV, but still not too bad). Yes it's very likely that a team could be based at Parramatta or Penrith, as well as the aforementioned Canberra and Woollongong.

Melbourne South East has a ring to it thought. And that new stadium looks like at least it's starting to happen. When it's due again?

Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few comments from me:

On Fossie (no more after this, I promise):
Uncle Ethan, that Under-15s thing you mention is pretty shocking. I have no involvement in youth football or coaching these days (though I expect to get into it as my kids grow up) so I can only form my opinions based on what I read from others who do know what's going on. That's why it's important that there are prominent figures in the media who care passionately about this and make sure it's on the national agenda.

On the new sides:
I can't say I'm a huge fan of having two new Qld teams coming in at once next season.
I'm definitely happy to have one come in next season and one the season after. A bye isn't the end of the world, and doing this will mean not having that one-off increased demand on playing resources. I'm not sure we can suddenly find 46 players of sufficient quality to avoid these 2 sides propping up next season's ladder (if they both come in). At least it'll make the games between them worth something.

The GF:
I think the Mariners will win. If the Jets froze so badly a fortnight ago, one can only assume they'll do it worse in the real big one.

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem bizarre that Queensland can support three teams and Melbourne and Sydney only one.

I knowe the Gold Coast is the fastest growing region in the country and all that, but Townsville?

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're a brave man spending time in Springvale, gdu. One of my workmates was the victim of an attempted carjacking there a couple of years ago and my next door neighbour, who's a policeman, reckons the MacDonalds car park on Springvale Road is the number one heroin dealing location outside of Footscray.

Last year, my son's football team played an away match against the Springvale White Eagles at the Serbian Sporting and Cultural Centre. Even the corner flags were the Serbian flag. Their coach refused to let me examine the ID cards of his players before the game (despite this being an FFA regulation) which didn't surprise me because every one of his players looked about 13 or 14. It was an under 11 game. We lost 12-0 each goal was greeted by the blowing of car horns and exaggerated fist pumping and chanting in Serbian. Even the mild mannered, non-racist supporters of the Aspendale Stingrays were getting really worked up. I think these people turned up at the Federer-Djokovic a match a few weeks ago and spoiled that as well. A week earlier, in the under 9s, Springvale's match against Chelsea, a Croatian team, had to be abandoned when the kids, egged on by flag waving chanting parents, starting kicking lumps out of each other while the parents conducted a running brawl on the touchline. The referee blew his whistle, ran off the pitch into his car and sped away. I'm not sure how long it was before anybody noticed he'd gone. I can't understand why the FFV haven't thrown them out of the competition.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a huge NSL nostalgia hit right there.
Thanks MA.

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

I have a question re the NSL. If I'd been in Melbourne in those days, would there have been a team that I could realistically have supported not being Greek, Croatian, Macedonian, etc or were all the Melbourne clubs "ethnic" in origin?
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

You probably would have supported any that was geographically close to your home, or picked Sth Melb - their central location, picturesque stadium and bigger crowds would be naturally appealing to most neutrals.
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC