This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » A-League 2007/2008 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: A-League 2007/2008
Gonzo
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Gonzo         Edit/Delete Post 
What Perth G.'s crowds like?
Posts: 2962 | From: The Pale, Erin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Fred (who scored last night at Dallas, and the only goal of the match last time at Toronto, btw)

depending who you believe, doubled or trebled his salary by moving to the US.

I can't remember if this was brought up before, but according to the Washington Post we're paying him a little under $225,000 a year.

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perth Glory got 8,500 for their only home game so far this season... well below their NSL heyday when they regularly got five-figure crowds.

And according to Uncle Ethan they are not exactly generating the sort of excitement that will bring spectators back: two 0-0 draws so far this season!

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was Melbourne Victory's first 30,000 plus crowd for a game against someone other than Sydney or Adelaide. Season ticket sales hit 20,000 on Friday so 11,000 walk ups is pretty good against relatively unattractive opposition.

Sydney's crowd was really poor bearing in mind that Sydney Adelaide is supposedly one of the blockbuster fixtures. Sydney have lost 4,000 fans in a week. Juninho clearly isn't a big enough name to pull them in. It's all the more depressing to think that they will get a massive crowd in a couple of months time for the David Beckham circus. These people clearly have no interest at all in the A League and it's hard to imagine a friendly changing that.

Good crowd at Newcastle though just over 13,000.

quote:
according to the Washington Post we're paying him a little under $225,000 a year
That works out at about $280k Aussie which is 3 times what Fred got paid by Melbourne and about double what his new contract offer was supposedly going to pay.
Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long is it until the Sydney game, because he just sprained his right knee. He's laid up for at least 6 weeks.
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Trimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Round 3
Adelaide United - 1 Melbourne Victory - 1

A warm evening for early September-almost T Shirt weather- and a good crowd of over 12,000... not bad when Port Power were playing an AFL finals game at the same time 3 or 4 kms away.

Not much happened for the first half hour during which the players of both teams seemed to confine themselves to bunching up in the centre circle. Then United's centre back and captain Michael Valkanis had to go off with a season-ending knee injury. Coach Vidmar replaced him with midfield playmaker Diego Walsh, and Adelaide started to construct some meaningful attacks.

Both sides were weakened by players absent on national team duty- but Adelaide were able to field Paul Agostino, once of 1860 Munich and Bristol City to cover for the loss of Djite. Kevin Muscat was soon stamping his "authority" on the game: kicking Cassio in the ribs and then fouling Burns, standing over him and accusing him of diving...the most irritating thing I find about Muscat is the length of time he takes over his free kicks- almost makes you wish they would institute the AFL "play on" rule.

Adelaide were dominating as the game approached its last quarter-hour, Victory only threatening from breakaways. Allsopp was rarely seen and the other striker- looked S.American- did nothing apart from a couple of speculative dives early on.

Victory went ahead after 80 mins with a far post header from Vargas- a defender with his ponytail tied in a spinsterly-looking bun. Adelaide's erratic 'keeper Bajic was of course nowhere to be seen. Couple of minutes later the same player Vargas handled in the box for Dodd to convert the home side's penalty.

Victory lucky to get a point really- Adelaide were all over them in the final 10 mins with Burns heading against the bar. Both sides thus recorded their third draw of the season.

Victory's away support was a bit pathetic this time- only a couple of hundred of them. After a flare was let off, security marched half of them out of the ground.

Posts: 317 | From: somewhere nice | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was happy with the point, despite conceding a late penalty, so I suppose that would tend to indicate that Adelaide should have won.

There's no doubt, though, that the game was devalued by the absences of Thompson, Djite and Broxham. The FFA need to get their priorities right if they want the league to progress.

There was an amusing piece in The Age yesterday by Kevin Muscat in which he got all worked up about "foreigners" coming to the A League and "diving and cheating." He said that he gave Nathan Burns some "words of encouragement (!!!)" in order to ensure that "Australia's best young player" (he's being watched by Liverpool apparently) doesn't ruin his career. I've no doubt that Kevin's outburst was prompted by Cassio's outrageous attempt to get him sent off in the second half. I was even more appalled when Angelo Costanzo pretended that he'd been headbutted by ex Dundee United man Grant Brebner. Mr Costanzo looked very stupid on the replays but Grant was sent off for no reason at Hindmarsh last year and I feared the same again.

The trouble with Kevin's argument, though, is that Australian players take a dive as much as anybody else and Archie Thompson is one of the worst culprits. Twice against Perth last week, Archie fell theatrically in the box. I wonder if Kevin had any "words of encouragement" for him.

As for the Melbourne support, 15 were ejected; the rest walked out in protest. Apparently, (they claim) while they were busy throwing flares on to the pitch, they were distracted by Adelaide fans throwing flares at them and the police (they claim) took no action against the home fans.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

Ha..! Cassio was out for the count for a couple of minutes, had to be substituted and is likely to miss this week's game. As well as being kneed in the ribs he was socked in the jaw by that piece of hardware on Kev's arm...

Where would we be without the A League's "personality" players...?

Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

John Kosmina is certainly being badly missed. I noticed when Kevin and Cassio had their altercation on Friday that the Adelaide bench sort of half-heartedly stood up looking mildly displeased. If Kosmina had been there, he would have charged down the touchline, taking out a couple of ballboys on the way, kicking anyone that looked vaguely Victorian, before grabbing Kevin around the throat in the traditional fashion. And the game would have been all the better for it.

I'm not surprised that Cassio is going to miss this weekend's game with a grazed little finger, or whatever it is that's wrong with him. Kevin, that Great Australian Hero, has played the last 2 games with a broken arm, the first without any strapping or bandaging. Actually, come to think of it, I hope that contraption he was wearing on Friday doesn't mean he's going soft. Must be the influence of all those bloody foreigners in the Melbourne team.

Here's a reminder that, when Kevin talks, even the greatest listen.

-

Trimster
Member # 1178

Appearently Perth Glory are in the running to break a record this weekend. They have drawn their first three games of the season 0-0..... and no team has ever had four scoreless draws in succession at national league level in Australia. They are at home to Queensland Roar, a side also struggling without a win, but who can play attractive attacking football at times. Will be interesting to see what happens.....
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

Round 4
Melbourne 0 Central Coast 0
Crowd 27,351

At least round 4 ended the drawfest with 3 teams winning. Melbourne, though, have now played 4, drawn 4 with both home games finishing 0-0.

Normally, when the attendance comes up on the big screen halfway through the second half, a big, self congratulatory round of applause follows. Tonight, there was silence. The crowd was down on last year and, more importantly, 4k below the last home game. The buzz has gone and the media interest has noticeably dropped off with 3 Victorian teams in the AFL Preliminary Finals. With Newcastle - Melbourne on Friday clashing with Geelong - Collingwood, I doubt anyone will even notice the A League is happening (including me because I'll be at the G).

For most of tonight's game, CCM were the better team. Allsopp missed a couple of chances for Melbourne but Theokilitos was excellent again and Kwasnik hit the bar twice.

The Melbourne team selection was baffling. Caceres, a one footed left winger, was played on the right and substituted, after half an hour, by Pantilides, a hard working, talentless defender. The "fuck's sake" uttered by Caceres when he saw his number being raised was clearly visible on the big screen. Worse than that, though, was the ludicrous decision to play Leigh Broxham, Melbourne's best young player, in defence and leave Sebastian Ryall, a talented young defender on the bench. 10 minutes from the end, Broxham was moved to midfield and, suddenly, Melbourne were dominant. Broxham was superb and, having beeen outplayed until that point, Melbourne looked like winning it. It took a last minute professional foul by Tony Vidmar (who was red carded) to save CCM.

Listening to SEN on the way home, it was a procession of people saying "Merrick must go, Hernandez is shit, Allsopp is shit, Muscat is past it, Brebner (who is clearly injured) is past it" and, of course, "bring back Fred."

Trimster
Member # 1178

Perth Glory didn't manage to break the record by achieving a fourth successive 0-0 draw... worse, they lost 2-1 at home to Qld Roar, leaving them in seventh place. Mighty Sydney FC are amazingly in bottom place after also losing 2-1 at home to Wellington Phoenix.

Another Brazilian legend, Mario Jardel, was in action this round. He came on as a substitute for Newcastle Jets in their 1-0 home win over Adelaide United, which pushed them into second place on the ladder. From the glimpse I had of him on TV, he looked big and slow, if not downright immobile. He will either end up a flop like Brian Deane, or nod home lots of goals.

I think it is a bit early to be writing teams off: the league will be very tight this year; teams will blow hot and cold and there won't be many points separating most of them at the end of the season. I think in this sort of league, it is possible for a team to have a fairly indifferent season, yet still scrape into fourth place, get lucky in a penalty shootout, and reach the Grand Final.

Early days yet, of course....

Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Smith couldn't be a bigger muppet if you painted him green and called him Kermit.

He criticised the team after yesterday's defeat because they went looking for a winner. At home.

Smith also signed a centre forward with all the mobility of Michelangelo's David. I suspect that his penis is smaller, though some fellow fans appear to disagree as they regularly call him a big dickhead.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trimster
Member # 1178

What's this centre forward's name, UE?

I see it took your centre back-turned-striker, Harnwell, to score your first goal of the season...

I still think its too early to be writing teams off. Look how a change of coach turned Newcastle around in mid season last year.

Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mate Dragicovic or Beachy Head Lighthouse.

Oooh, forget to mention a match highlight. Anthony Danze, who has played about three games in three seasons prior to this, took possession just inside his own half.

In keeping with his performance all match he decided a champagne switch was in order.

Rather than seeking out the full back he was aiming at on the far side of the pitch, he managed to slice the pass so badly it went out for a thrown in near the far corner flag - at Glory's end.

[ 18.09.2007, 03:45: Message edited by: Uncle Ethan ]

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC