This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » OTF worst season competition (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: OTF worst season competition
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're high in the running for this. We've sold our second best defender to Rotherham, replacing him with a 'utility man' Scunthorpe fans are glad to be rid of, our chairman has (pretty reasonably, I reckon) called the supporters Trust a bunch of 'cretins' and refused to put any more money in, our ticket office hasn't recovered from the floods yet and is causing no end of distress to the poor fuckers that still go to games, our best player has decided to sit out his contract, along with our dynamo midfielder from last season's decent end of season run, we've signed Francis fucking Jeffers on a three year contract; and a toothless boxing (and self-) promoter, the idiotic Trust and the cunt of a chairman are all set to continue their twattish feuding all season long.

Statto and battylad are going to be tough to beat, but I reckon they may have peaked too early.

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last season was Wednesday's best for over 10 years, at least in that they exceeded my expectations. It's taken the boardroom shenanigans, the inability to retain or attract quality players, the signing of Jeffers (exactly the kind of player we shouldn't be signing) and now this for any optimism for this season to entirely evaporate. We're fucked. I know it.

[ 12.08.2007, 01:06: Message edited by: Lieutenant Dub ]

Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We could be on for two successive relegations (as I predicted about three months ago).

28 year old manager. Only decent player signed during the summer already being tapped up by bigger clubs.

Fuck it. I'm glad I live 100 miles from St Albans now.

Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weymouth's manager is 29. And the son-in-law of the chairman.
Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily Bomb, not only was I at the game on Saturday, but as OTF's resident Technical Visionary, I can point you to where you went wrong, and how to fix it.

But before that I should makes some points.

1) If Graham Coughlan was that good (he isn't), he'd have had at least one side above League Two trying to sign him. Even Paul Sturrock, who brought him from Plymouth to Wednesday didn't want him for Swindon.

2) Richard Hinds just adds depth in more areas. He's not part of your first XI, and didn't even come off the bench on Saturday.

3) All chairmen are cunts.

4) If any of the people who tried to bring Ken Bates to the club are still involved with the Trust, your chairman is right.

Now. What was wrong on Saturday, and how to put it right.

1) Replace the goalkeeper. Lee Grant made an average of ten starts a season for Derby for a reason. He is shit. Mart Poom, Andy Oakes, Lee Camp and Stephen Bywater have all been ahead of him for a reason. He collapses under the slightest of pressure, his kicking is poor, and he makes his own defences nervous. He played eight games for Derby last season where they kept clean sheet after clean sheet. He kept just one. He let in an average of over 1.5 goals in a game - with Derby's excellent defence in front of him. Not good at all. He only played those games because Lee Camp's dad slagged the club off on a radio phone-in. How to fix it? There are lots of good keepers sitting around doing nothing. There are none in that situation better than Jimmy Walker at West Ham. Third choice behind Robert Green and Richard Wright. Loan him, or Ben Alnwick from Spurs, he's not as good as Walker, but better than Grant.

2) Franny Jeffers can not handle stick. Rest him for the Ipswich, Norwich and Charlton games. As he proved last season, he will score goals in this division, and lots of them, as long as he stays fit.

3) That's it. Your midfield looked good, a lot of refs either wouldn't have given the penalty in the first minute (some would have given it outside the box - I would), the second was a great strike from a player who has great pace and fitness and can appear from nowhere, you should have had a penalty at 2-0 when Steve Watson was brought down, the third was the keeper being shit, he almost cost a goal just after half time, and the fourth was down to the defence having lost their confidence in their keeper. After Lunt came on the midfield looked bright, Jermaine Johnson was one of the best players on the park, and Leon Clarke took his goal well.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ta for that Pheobe.

I almost went on Saturday (with my brother who lives in Suffolk) but thankfully finances dictated that I had to stay at home.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We've sold our second best defender to Rotherham
Money changed hands?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, he's still at Walsall.

Ah, I'm so annoying.

Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) If Graham Coughlan was that good (he isn't), he'd have had at least one side above League Two trying to sign him. Even Paul Sturrock, who brought him from Plymouth to Wednesday didn't want him for Swindon.

But at least he provides some competition for Lee Bullen, who is nearly forty and looked out of his depth in League One 2 years ago.

2) Richard Hinds just adds depth in more areas. He's not part of your first XI, and didn't even come off the bench on Saturday.

So what's the point of him then?

Agreed.

4) If any of the people who tried to bring Ken Bates to the club are still involved with the Trust, your chairman is right.

Nobody involved with the Trust will admit to being involved with Ken Bates, or say how things got to the stage they did. The official Trust version is that Jim harrison and John Hemmingham were abducted by aliens and brought to the press conference, and never really supported ken bates anyway. As this series of events is so unlikely to be repeated, why ever would they need to change their procedures?

As it happens they have been forced into having a vote on whether or not their shares should be sold, a vote in which 90% of the turnout voted to keep the shares.

It's unfortunate that this vote was forced on them by an offer from the chairman, and up to that point they had shown every willingness to sell the shares (over 10% of the club) to whoever would put the club into administration and thereby cut the debt. That the debt is owed to the board of directors, as well as the Co-op, was deemed an inconvenient detail.

They are complete cretins and they cannot be trusted on anything whatsoever. Their only idea is to put the club into administration to try and fuck over the current holders of the debt. Who also control the club. They are so very stupid that they cannot see what is wrong with this, or why they shouldn't let Dennis Hobson (the boxing promoter who wants to take over and has offered to buy players he chooses for the team 'no strings attached') pay for their offices and indeed be a life president of the organisation.

If BL can overcome everything and make us a midtable team, he's a better manager than i thought.

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Jeffers go to Wednesday on a free in the end?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HORN
Member # 204

- posted      Profile for HORN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Bill Bratt of Port Vale may be the exception that proves the rule.

Posts: 2404 | From: Sgeti | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

700k, Harry.
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so so wrong.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Fuzzy Dunlop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2005/06. Also known as the Kernaghan Year. Worst finish in living memory, playing utterly rank rotten (despite getting to a Scottish Cup semi), financially fucked, and despondency and apathy on the sparsely populated terraces. If the club could have found a corner, it would have crawled into it and died.

[ 13.08.2007, 19:42: Message edited by: Gilmartin Broon ]

Posts: 564 | From: a vulture distracted by donkeys. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gialloblu
Member # 1211

- posted      Profile for gialloblu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We finished last in Bundesliga 2 last year. Now we're last again, this time in the northern group of level 3, meaning that Eintracht Braunschweig, league winners of 67, is now at position 73 over here. Which makes us the current Accrington Stanley of German football.

Everyone who supports a top50 club is a fairweather/armchair fan anyway.

Posts: 393 | From: where parents call their kids Kevin-Prince | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC