This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The official OTF Carling Cup 07-08 thread (Page 18)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  45  46  47   
Author Topic: The official OTF Carling Cup 07-08 thread
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you say that Ursus? Moyes rested a load of players from Saturday's FA Cup game to save them for this.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that, read the list of guys out noted above, and sensed a lack of urgency in the Everton side in the ten minutes I watched before Mikel got sent off.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're playing their strongest available team though and were desperate for FIFA to allow Piennar to play as well.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glass half empty
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for glass half empty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Steve Clarke looks a bit like the Dorian Grey version of the special one.

[ 08.01.2008, 21:43: Message edited by: glass half empty ]

Posts: 79 | From: Evesham | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That must certainly suck for everton. Bad game to throw away.
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i've just come back from a highly exciting game at Stamford Bridge. Naturally, with the score at 1-1 and the match entering the 90th minute I thought i'd beat the crowd and leave a little earlier, knowing full well a winning goal was bound to be scored. What d'ya know, just as i'm walking round the back of The Shed End the cheer goes up. Bloody typical.

So relieved I didn't go back home first before making it to the game, as the tube was suspended so walked from Earls Court and made the start in plenty of time. I was sat in the upper tier of the East Stand and the view was cracking, as was the atmosphere. Anyway, these are some notes from the game-

Joe Cole- why does he bother tackling? He's worse than Scholes and a petulant little bastard to boot.

Mikel- Was neat and tidy and looked very commanding just in front of the defence. Unfortunately I couldn't really see the tackle which led to his straight red.

Wayne Bridge- Impressive. I've long been an admirer of his and it's a shame that for both club and country he has to play second fiddle to that prat Cole.

SWP- Scored a inch perfect first goal and looked lively in the first half. Made a brilliant tackle back after giving the ball away and then produced a sublime ball only for Pizarro to fuck it up in the second. After the sending off, he played wide right as Sidwell came on and didn't receive the ball as much but clearly he had something to do with the winner, not that I saw it.

Malouda- Doesn't look completely match fit. Improved as game went on but dropped very deep at times and didn't look as if he could beat anyone.

Claudio Pizarro- Christ almighty what a lump of shit. He makes Steve Torpey look effective.

Of the Everton players the only one that caught the eyes was Yakubu and that was because for 60 minutes he seem disinterested and frankly quite dreadful. Looked like he was doing his best to avoid injury for the African Cup of Nations, but finished brilliantly and then set up McFadden with a fantastic backheel past two Chelsea players. McFadden should have scored or squared it.

Bit disappointed Everton didn't go for it a little more once they had the man advantage and the equaliser. Cahill was pretty quiet and they didn't do their most to test Hilario at crosses.

Phil Neville was fortunate not to pick up two yellow cards and Belletti's attempt to win a penalty through clutching his face after walking into Lescott's back was shameful. Certainly not a boring match, if only i'd stayed to the end like usual.

Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i made the same mistake as robw, we left on 88 mins. i thought the everton support was awesome tonight.

stamford bridge has turned into a very nice ground, last time i was there was 1994 v stoke city in the league cup (also in the west stand) where a gullit inspired chelsea team lost to stoke, the benches on the west stand were hard, there was a huge ruck in the stoke end which was a temporary stand behind the goal and the air smelt suspiciously of marijuana smoke

changed a bit. 20 quid for that though was a bargain tonight. cheers mr liquidator for sorting tickets

Oh and that bloody boxing style pre match announcement 'STILL UNDEFEATED IN 54 HOME GAMES - CHELSEA!!!! PLEASE STAND UP FOR THE ANTHEMS'

some guy comes on wearing a suit and twirling a blue and white scarf whilst singing blue is the colour

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pretend Best Friend
Member # 3223

- posted      Profile for Pretend Best Friend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on the tube at Kensington High Street when they suspended the district line which was a bit of a pain in the arse. Walked most of the way down although did manage to get a bus part of the way.

The winning goal was comedy, from my vantage point in the west stand it looked like SWP had outjumped Lescott to head home at the far post.

The hospitality boxes were very nice I have to say, and I'm feeling the effects this morning of giving the red wine a bit of a hiding.

Posts: 408 | From: The Office, Slough | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ant259
Member # 1734

- posted      Profile for ant259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the game live at home thanks to my new set top DTV thing. Ha!

A good game, and totally agree with what's been said about the Everton support. Mikel's tackle was never worth a red, I don't think.

Posts: 1653 | From: Oviedo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh and that bloody boxing style pre match announcement 'STILL UNDEFEATED IN 54 HOME GAMES - CHELSEA!!!! PLEASE STAND UP FOR THE ANTHEMS'

some guy comes on wearing a suit and twirling a blue and white scarf whilst singing blue is the colour

Hahaha, really? I've never seen that before. How odd.

Anyway, I should have bought my tickets earlier, I thought there would be loads of time to get a seat in the Matthew Harding Lower but was sold out by the time I went down there. Oh well.

I was surprised that Everton sold their allocation as well, not only because they never usually bring very many fans to the Bridge (almost always half the amount of Liverpool) but because as of Friday hardly any of their tickets had been sold. I suppose they must have bought them on Saturday or something.

Still, sounded like there was a lot of singing from both sets of fans, which is something of a novelty these days, and it was a great game. I fancy us to go through though, although having Sidwell instead of Mikel is going to be a bit of a worry.

Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liq,

That's Neil Barnett doing his thang followed by some opera singer chappie, who's also one of our ST holders.

Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was greatly impressed by the singing actually- it's not something I usually pick up on MOTD or if I see Chelsea on Sky. There were even a few chants of 'Jose Mourinho' as Chelsea were struggling to break through the Everton rearguard but that was quickly suppressed.
Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TBH, the singing at the Bridge isn't great these days - it's pretty much confined to the Matthew Harding Lower and the Shed Upper. But on the point of TV coverage, I remember reading the comments of another club's fan who suggested that the TV companies turned to volumes down when the chanting was "obscene". As roughly 90% of the usual Chelsea fans songbook contains the word "Fuck," I've wondered if that's the reason for our less than impressive vocal support in televised matches or highlights programmes, on those occasions when the noise has been substantial.

Perhaps N & G can confirm or refute.

Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

I can't help thinking the odd shape of Lescott's head contributed to the own goal.
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did note that the three middle blocks of the mathew harding lower were stood all game
Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  45  46  47   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC