This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The official OTF Carling Cup 07-08 thread (Page 44)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47   
Author Topic: The official OTF Carling Cup 07-08 thread
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One can tell from Tottenham's choice of establishment that they are a bit out of practice with this "celebrating winning a trophy" lark.

Danielle Lloyd, Beckham's sister, what looks like half the cast of Big Brother, and every paparazzo in Essex . . .

They need the wise counsel of someone like Mr. R. Ferdinand on how this should be done.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juande isn't going to like those pics, is he?
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not just Juande - almost everyone looks like they've been transformed into cubist portaits.
Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Paxton Sprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No flies on Drebin are there.

Ha Ha Ha Ledley was absolutely wasted. Good for him.

Posts: 497 | From: where I'm standing behind the goal that was clearly offside | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a great moment in extra-time. Tainio was timewasting at a throw-in and the ref correctly booked him. Drogba rushes in and has a pop at Tainio and the ref about this, and ends up creating a scene which the ref has to control, thus using up valuable time. It took Ballack to come in and point this out to Drogba. For a man who seems to know every trick in the gamesmanship manual, it was particularly pleasing to see Drogba playing into the opponents hands.

and it still took taino another minute to take the throw in, but it didn't really matter because Halsey had stopped his watch.

Juande ramos is a bit too much of a winner to ever be accepted as a tottenham great isn't he?

It never fails to surprise me how well chelsea manage to cunningly hide the amount of money spent on them. Maybe they're a massive money laundering operation.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pretend Best Friend
Member # 3223

- posted      Profile for Pretend Best Friend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the ref ever actually "stop his watch", or do they make a mental note to add time on?

Or do they have two watches - one that's left to run and another which they stop and start?

Posts: 408 | From: The Office, Slough | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of them have two watches ( I presume one is set as a stopwatch ) and I have definitely seen a ref stop one, I am pretty sure I saw the ref do so very ostentatiously near the end of yesterday's match.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they really stopped their watches, a 3pm kick-off would end up finishing at around midnight, surely?
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One can tell from Tottenham's choice of establishment that they are a bit out of practice with this "celebrating winning a trophy" lark.
To be fair to Tottenham's players, Ursus, I think the celebration party was perhaps a little impromptu.
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morgan
Member # 92

- posted      Profile for morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What a fantastic day yesterday! I couldn't see the handball properly from where I was sitting and I felt sick whilst waiting for Berbatov to score. Nice to see some resilience in our defence, Ledley barely put a foot wrong, I was so pleased for him to finally win some silverware.
Posts: 2109 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has there been any discussion of why Anelka was pushed out to the wing? He looked very out of sorts and hardly contributed anything.

I remember Houllier picking him there a couple of times for Liverpool in 2002, but that's Houllier for you.

[ 25.02.2008, 19:58: Message edited by: Lt. Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see the whole match, and it made sense when Chimbonda went off and Malbranque was at left back, but that wasn't for an extended period.

I'm not sure that Chelsea have worked out a way for Anelka and Drogba to play together, though I certainly think that is possible. Having King rather than Dawson in the middle also likely played a role.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned this in the last five minutes of the game, pretty much all I saw.

As opposed to picking personell that fitted Chelsea's favoured 4-3-3 formation or setting them out in a shape that might utilise Drogba and Anelka's combined strengths (probably 4-4-2), Grant decided to play the two strikers together for the first time, in a cup final, in a manner that minimsed Anelka's input to near zero.

If he wanted to keep their normal formation he should have left his 15M signing on the bench to allow players who suited it to play and give Chelsea the formidable psychological and tactical advantage of bringing him on.

As it is he fell between two stools and it's his first major black mark as Chelsea's manager.

[ 25.02.2008, 22:39: Message edited by: Harry Carpenter ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, Jenas must be so pleased to be no longer living in the "goldfish bowl" and be able to get twatted in a more anonymous fashion.

I have to say again that I'm really pleased for all you Spurs fans and I do envy you. It must be a bit like it felt supporting Newcastle about five years ago. You suddenly find yourself supporting a team that plays nice football and actually wins games, with a likeable manager and some very good young players. The future looks bright.

There are some major differences of course. You don't seem to have as many idiots in the side, and you actually win some silverware. And you probably won't get relegated five years from now while the rest of the country laughs at you.

Then again, who knows...

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, wasn't impressed with the way that Chelsea set themselves out at all. Drogba battled manfully as ever but had little real support at all. Anelka was out of sorts wide and SWP was his useful fitful and unreliable self.

The midfield trio looked very flat too, both in performance and and rigidity. Tottenham used the space between the lines a lot better, Chelsea seemed to play with three banks of players meaning the passing angles were fewer and easier for Tottenham to anticipate.

I can't understand why Joe Cole doesn't start all the time for them, after Drogba, the two central defenders and the keeper he would be the next name on my teamsheet. Essienb, Mikel and Lampard all give you three shades of the same type of player, Cole can do things no-one else in that squad can.

I thought Grant could have been a lot sharper with his substitutions too.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC