This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The official OTF Carling Cup 07-08 thread (Page 47)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47   
Author Topic: The official OTF Carling Cup 07-08 thread
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I wouldn't give to have Jenas and Woodgate back. They're *exactly* the players we're missing. A world class centre-half and a creative midfielder who is technically brilliant and has the footballing brain to match.
Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Paxton Sprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh and it's good to see that Spurs crew on here finally admitting that I was right all along about Jenas. Told you he was class.
Not sure whether that includes me but I have always felt Jenas had the potential to be top class as soon as someone got him to focus on winning the ball, giving it, getting forward & cutting out some of his mistakes. He had it in his head he could dictate play from deep or even be a holding midfielder. I think Poyet has certainly had an influence.

On the respective managers on Sunday, I read a quote from Grant saying he felt he had to prove himself everytime was in charge for a game (or something along those lines). Chelsea should get rid of him asap because that no manager at the top level should be making statements like that. Mourinho certainly wouldn't.

Ramos clearly has the air of someone who has nothing to prove, at least in cup competitions. He is already the most important person at Spurs, like Ferguson, Wenger, Moyes and O'Neill, but unlike Grant and arguably Benitez where it seems to me that certain players are 'bigger' than the man in charge.

Posts: 497 | From: where I'm standing behind the goal that was clearly offside | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the praise Jenas is getting here reminds me of that excellent old saying, "If you get a reputation for getting up early, you can stay in bed all day." Yes, he was very good on Sunday but he's been astoundingly mediocre for the vast majority of the last four years.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The point being that now he *isn't* mediocre: as with Keane (as MX said earlier), his workrate has improved 100% in the past year or so. Under proper leadership, Jenas can become the world-class player his potential suggested several years ago.
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're saying Jenas has been playing great for the past year, that's blatantly not true.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Impact Substitute
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Impact Substitute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we are trying to pinpoint when Jenas went from deeply average footballer to the midfielder we've seen recently, it would be since the game at Upton Park last November.

He's clearly a far better player since Ramos arrived, just as he was clearly unfocused and wayward in his approach to midfield play for a number of years preceeding Ramos' arrival.

Posts: 1074 | From: a whisper to a scream | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you're saying Jenas has been playing great for the past year, that's blatantly not true.
I'm stating (pretty clearly, I think) that his workrate has increased in the past year. With Ramos's guidance, his improvement will, one hopes, see him graduate to greatness. (As to pinpointing the specific game where it all came good for Jenas, well, that's harder to quantify. Nor do I think it serves much purpose...)
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now then, if the likes of King, Woodgate and Bale stay injury free next season and they manage to hold on to Berbatov, what do we reckon Spurs are lacking to be able to mount a serious title challenge? A proper goalie, a decent left-winger in the Martin Petrov mould and a better holding midfielder than Zokora perhaps (or is Tom Huddlestone developing into that type of player)?
Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Paxton Sprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big 'ifs' to be honest, however lets dream a little...

1. A new goalkeeper, sorry Robbo but I think some of your mistakes have been too basic for my liking.

2. I'd like to see Bale LM so we need a left back, which means Chimbonda will be off cos he won't play second fiddle. If Bale plays LB then some pacy left footer at LM needed.

3. Some busy and disciplined bloke in midfield like Poulsen from Sevilla. Zokora not disciplined enough and has no goalscoring ability.

4. We need a fourth striker as three won't be enough. I'd like to see Bent come good but current evidence suggests he doesn't fit so can see him going. We'll lack some genuine pace up front if Bent goes - so two strikers.

I can't get my head to believe Spurs will ever seriously challenge for the title.

Posts: 497 | From: where I'm standing behind the goal that was clearly offside | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

You will, Paxton. Have faith. Next season will be a glorious one for Spurs, to be sure.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Otto's auto, earlier this morning.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

This season is probably about as glorious as it gets.
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on Jenas i think most have us have been frustrated with him because he clearly has the talent to be a very good player. The problem is that until recently he tended to lack the mentality to impose himself on big games.

Often he would shine for half an hour and then players like Fabregas would get the better of midfield and he'd hide.

What he need to do is to consistenly take hold of games when Spurs are struggling and show he's the player who can drag them back into games.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC