This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Baker & Kelly (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Baker & Kelly
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh bollocks:

quote:
Dear All,
It appals me to say it but there will be no more All Day Breakfast Shows nor Baker & Kelly’s. There has now been a irreversible and utter breakdown between the on-air team and the company who have, with varying degrees of success, provided it to you online. I suppose I should have heeded the warning of many of you after the initial, half-assed sign up but, Jesus Christ, I wanted this to work. I have absolutely no idea where any subscription fees are, went or remain. All I know is that we all have created an enormous amount of strong, funny, unbeatable internet shows and in return received nothing. And I mean nothing. Not a brass penny in nine long months just some hefty studio bills along the way. Now it has come down to the old “Ah well if you read your contract you’ll find…” and I feel like some dumb-cluck boy band.

Truth is when you’re fifty years old, a successful broadcaster for two thirds of your life, and you’re standing, crushed, on the sweaty Northern Line every day going to work without even so much as getting your ticket reimbursed… well it kind of rankles you know? I don’t know any of my peers or, indeed, any of our genuinely genius audience who would tolerate such a circumstance. It’s a rotten shame but enough is enough. The shows were too good and I have too much respect for myself and the team to allow this farcical situation to continue a belly-laugh longer. When I think of the hours and hours of midnight oil that Sonny put in to the magnificent websites alone it frankly makes my blood boil. What a sucker. (Me that is, not you Son).

Radio - in whatever form I can deliver it - is what I do for a living. The current situation is, professionally, killing us all.

I can’t thank you enough for any of the two-quids - wherever they currently are - that you were good enough to invest in the ADBS. I just hope what you heard made it worthwhile. That will be the only recompense I can take from this whole wretched episode.

Regards and with great apologies to you all,

DB

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuck.

In a weird way it's reassuring to know that getting fucked over by publishers/broadcasters is something which happens to the best of us, and not just the likes of me, but that's a very small silver lining indeed.

All we need now is for Steveeeeeeeee to tell us that Baker and Kelly didn't deserve any money, because it was Wippit who provided the download facility and the actual zeros and ones and that's what the listeners were really paying for.

I do hope they come back, in some form or other.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh fuck off and twist my words somewhere else you twat.
Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the impression from talking to someone on the show on Friday that the podcasts would continue in some form (SR, was anything mentioned to you?). He didn't want to go in to the details of what went on but Baker obviously has above.

It is so frustrating because it really seemed he had got out of the long-standing situation of clashing heads with a radio station employer and moving on has he had almost everywhere and was able to do what he wanted.

Podcasting seemed the obvious solution but I have always wondered how well it works as a money-making endevour, the disaster Wippit made of the ADBS subscription not helping.

I still think he is the best broadcaster in the country, just wish he could find the right home.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, looks like the whole thing is torpedoed at least in the short-to-medium term talking to the person I know at the show.

Out of interest, does anyone know what kind of existing model there is for making a paid-for subscription podcast work? What kind of number of subscribers is needed to make it financially worthwhile?

Obviously the starting point would be not working with people like Wippit who made even people like me who were happy to chuck £2 a week in give up after the first go. I've subscribed to the last batch of ADBS though as it appears at least the very last one might shed some light on them stopping.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My absolute, honest opinion on this is that making money from a Podcast is always going to be a bit of a non-starter. There are those of us that would pay for it to be done, but we would always be outnumbered by the people that won't.

Without knowing the specifics of the deals that they thought they'd signed and what they were expecting to get out of it, it's difficult to say with any precision, but Danny Baker has made a virtue of his ignorance of the internet before on his radio shows, and I think that this episode demonstrates that. I don't know whether they had an arrangement in place with Wippit to be paid by them or whether they had sponsors in place that backed out, though.

Ultimately, two blokes in a studio being recorded talking for an hour, uploading it onto the internet so that it can be downloaded elsewhere and a website to back it up doing, say, 100,000 page impressions per week is not going to be an exorbitantly expensive.

Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

quote:
There are those of us that would pay for it to be done, but we would always be outnumbered by the people that won't.
That's true of any commercial endeavour surely? I mean, there are more people who wouldn't want to pay to see Led Zeppelin than would but it doesn't stop them being a money-making proposition.

I suspected your wider point is true though. Is there any broadcaster that makes any kind of money podcasting (though if that is the kind of money that two fifty-something guys used to relatively well-paid media jobs and their support staff would need is another matter again).

twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is, I rather suspect, two sides of the same coin. No-one makes any money from podcasting, but it is cheap to do, because it's not streaming (we had this conversation on the "OTF Radio" thread, I think).

In so far as the number if people getting it free of charge is concerned, the problem comes because of the question of how you ensure that people downloading it are paying for it.

Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, they need sponsors. That is a given.

Secondly, they need to get away from using third-parties like Wippit. The advantage of using Wippit was supposedly they made it easy for folks to subscribe and provided lots of fast servers so the subscribers could download the content easily.

As far as I could tell, Wippit provided neither. It's a pain in the arse to sign up for anything and their downloads are painfully slow.

Personally, I think B&K could negotiate a good sponsor. They should offer the downloads for free - get them all over the place. Use any available avenue to stop server meltdown (BitTorrent, P2P networks etc.) because the more people are listening to it, the more money they can get from a sponsor.

Charging per download or using a subscription model is flawed and you won't make near as much money as you could from a sponsor if your podcast was being downloaded by millions.

I suppose a 'Premium Club or something, where you get access to extra bits of the B&K site for a couple of quid a month would be a good avenue to explore to make more cash. People will pay for something if it makes them feel special.

Merchandise, 'B&K Live tours where they talk about football to an audience and have people pop questions at them etc. etc.

I thought Danny Baker has been spending time in America? Those guys know how to 'monetise' something like this.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pissflaps.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

I've been a bit slack about these over the last few weeks, haven't I? Anyway, there's a new one up tonight here.
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny Baker is sitting in for Hawksbee & Jacobs on Talksport this week. (On air as we speak, in fact.)
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

D'oh! I mean Danny Kelly. And he's already made an excellent point about the nationalisation of Northern Rock, namely that the new British Rock will be compelled to fulfil all the existing obligations of NR, which includes sponsoring Newcastle United. Therefore, we - you, me, everyone - will be paying the wages of Michael Owen, Steven Carr, and even the bloke who's on load at Lazio.
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

I thought that Newcastle United might get nationalised as well, it couldn't harm them could it?
Jamzinho
Member # 442

- posted      Profile for Jamzinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done 200% on uploading those old episodes from talk radio, only got round to downloading some of them at the weekend. Fantastic
Posts: 220 | From: Coventry | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC