This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Teach me about the counties of England, and donít be cheap on the caricature crayons (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Teach me about the counties of England, and donít be cheap on the caricature crayons
UK Apache
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for UK Apache     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They do it in Football at schoolboy level. I played for Middlesex Under 14's - I think they do it at amateur level as well
Posts: 223 | From: The sunny streets of Harlesden | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Villain
Member # 468

- posted      Profile for Villain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ty Alan, yeah the Kentish Town thing is true only I thought it was the River Ken. So it was the Ken Ditch.
Posts: 2049 | From: Croydon init | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did a thread in which you picked a team made up of players from your home county, and mine was rubbish. Most counties have a County Cup, but League and Conference teams usually play their reserve or youth teams in it.
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until about 1990, the County Championship was the main domestic tournament in English Rugby Union, but slowly but surely the club game took precedence, and when the club game went professional, the county championship was effectively killed off. It's still going, but nowadays I think there's even a rule that no-one playing in the National Leagues (ie the top three tiers of the club game) can be selected by the County selectors.

Aside from Cricket, where the County Championship is still the top level of the game beneath the international team, probably the only major sports on these isles whose main championship is still based around a proper county structure are the still-fiercely amateur Gaelic sports, Football and Hurling.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leicestershire, well somebody's got to mention it, is peopled entirely by recent immigration. They are all either football mangers, ex managers or would be managers.
This saves much time when being interviewed for a vacancy at the Walkers and so both reduces our carbon footprint and is good for the local golf business, now catering for eighty three new courses.

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rugby (Union) county scene has withered badly in recent years. In its heyday, it was seen as the stepping stone to the England squad (the 1980s Grand Slam team was made up largely of the North team that had swept all before it). Now, with the porfessional clubs, it's more of a lower divisions/amateur thing, although of course Cornwall is very strongly followed and has a great shirt as sported by this lot -

-

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC