This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » United is a bit weird (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: United is a bit weird
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes it sound more like a political slogan than a club. And how united are they if thereís a big portion of the city who want to see them lose?

Itís a big lie, isnít it? Sneaky propaganda.

Manchester United.

No youíre not! Youíre as divided as you can get!

Which might the first club have been to call themselves United.

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it usually was a political slogan. collectives and unions were a big deal in the late nineteenth century in england, and the language was borrowed.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which might the first club have been to call themselves United.
Well it certainly wasn't the Mancs - they were called Newton Heath until 1902, while even our lot was Headington United since 1893. It's a good question, though; someone must know the answer.
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Newcastle were the first United in the Football League, as of 1892. Not sure if there was an earlier example outside of the League.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, instead of starting yet another thread

-

What is it that they're prepared for, the game?
Well, that's, quite, good of them. To be, I mean.

[ 08.12.2007, 12:40: Message edited by: Pietro Paolo Virdis ]

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheffield United were established in 1889. Not sure about the political language though, haven't heard that before.
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely the oddest bit of writing on a crest or flag has to be Ordem e progresso in the brazilian flag, which has to be a bit like writing sunny and exotic on the irish flag.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Villa's counterparts in Scotland:

-

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

why do rangers have a boxing lion on their flag?
Gonzo
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Gonzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think a lot of Villa fans would appreciate that comparison.
As for a 'boxing lion', guess that must have been a cartoon-type warning, to those were against them?

Posts: 2962 | From: The Pale, Erin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Villain
Member # 468

- posted      Profile for Villain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Villa had quite a big Scottish conection in the early years. A lot of our players were from Scotland and one of our directors, and founder of the Football League was William McGregor so I think the Lion rampant is from the Scotish royal coat of arms.

-

[ 08.12.2007, 14:03: Message edited by: Villain ]

Posts: 2049 | From: Croydon init | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzo
Member # 1592

It is indeed, as are the 'lion' connections at Millwall & Ch*lsea. Whilst Sperz are another club, famously formed by Scots.
Hence their blue & white colour schemes.

Posts: 2962 | From: The Pale, Erin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newcastle are a merger club - the result of the union of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End. Sheffield United was the name of the cricket club from whence oozed the Blunts.
Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

Doesn't explain why the rangers lion looks more like this.

-

Gonzo
Member # 1592

The 'Gers lion is more on the back foot and showing more uptight body language, which would seem apt given their general demeanour.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC