This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The things youíd want to know about Yugoslavia but never dared to ask (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The things youíd want to know about Yugoslavia but never dared to ask
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iím sure Tom wonít mind, and thatís ďourĒ Tom running the brilliant pitchinvasion website.

I noticed he had started to write about the European Championships, and in an email I offered my help on the 1992 one when Yugoslavia were sent home, then Denmark got their place instead and the rest is history. Those two games, by the way, when Denmark played Yugoslavia in the qualifiers, were quite something. Donít know if anyone remembers them.

code:
1.YUGOSLAVIA       24- 4 14
2.Denmark 18- 7 13
3.Northern Ireland 11-11 7
4.Austria 6-14 3
5.Faroe Islands 3-26 3

Denmark 0-2 Yugoslavia
Yugoslavia 1-2 Denmark

Anyway, I offered my help when he comes to the 1992 one and some input on the sending home of Yugoslavia, and then had an idea. Since starting Milan Club Svezia, Iíve got some new mates, some of which are Serbs, some Bosniak (Muslim), and I suggested that instead of I commenting on my own, we could prepare a bunch of questions, have one Croat, one Serb and one Bosniak reply, and that could give some interesting material as basis to write about it.

And now weíre here.

Iím not going to reply to any questions here, Iím just here to use you. Tom said it was up to me to come up with proper questions, thereís no hurry, but what would you spontaneously want to ask? Do you have any questions you can think of that youíd want to ask a Croat, a Serb and a Bosniak about the Yugoslavian national side? 1992 or earlier, doesnít matter.

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you all support them? At the time?
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before 1990, did you think of yourself as Croat/Bosniak/Serb or as a Yugoslav?

Were you aware of the ethnic backgrounds of the players on the Yugoslav national team and/or your favourite club?

Was your favourite Yugoslav/club player the same nationality as you?

Did you change your primary club allegiance after 1992 due to the breakup of Yugoslavia?

How do you feel about UEFA considering Serbia to be the successor of Yugoslavia for purposes of football records?

What do you think they should do with the Maksimir?

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a benny tied to a tree?
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is your opinion of children of the former Yugoslav diaspora who are eligible to play for one of the former republics, but instead choose to play for the country to which their parents moved?
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belhaven
Member # 426

- posted      Profile for Belhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were club teams essentially composed of players of one nationality or was there free flow of labour between the countries?

Was there a single national televison coverage of the national team, or did each country have their own transmissions?

A Slovenian girl once told me that the Slovenian team at the Euro' 2000 was made up almost entirely of Serbs whose parents had moved to Slovenia. Zahovic, for example, is a Serb. Is that true that Slovenian football is dominated by Serbs?

Posts: 966 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belhaven, that's one I can reply to here, without ruining Tom's material.

To be honest, it's not even definite that he will use my suggestion.

Zahović is indeed Serb. Maybe that is one big reason for the tantrum exit during the World Cup when he shouted at then Slovenian national coach and Sampdoria legend, Srećko Katanec*; ďYou are nothing, I can buy you, I can buy your family, I can buy your whole cityĒ, making the claim that Zahović had more money, and thus power, than Katanec would ever have.

* Katanec being your 100% Slovenian guy.

Zahović has managed one of the funniest things Iíve ever heard which are football related. At Benfica, then coach (donít know the name, but maybe stevieeeeeee can help us) had three simple rules. Donít come late to practice, donít go out drink alcohol day before practice or game, and no one dates my daughter. Zahović comes late to practice, hung-over, after having been out with the coachís daughter.

To answer your question, though, yes, at one point there were a lot of Serbs in the Slovenian national side. But nowadays, itís probably more Bosniak (Muslims from BiH).

[ 13.12.2007, 21:33: Message edited by: Pietro Paolo Virdis ]

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the fact that one of the Jackson 5 was called "Tito" affect their record sales in your country?
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

All of my Slovene in-laws despise Zahovic (and generally prefer basketball).

This helps me understand why.

Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

Actually, come to think of it, you can't get more Slovenian than the name Katanec, but first name, Srećko, is one of the most typical old style Croatian names. He must have some Croat in him.

Anyway, Katanec was a gentleman, always, Zlatko is a lunatic who has brought problems to every single club he's played at.

And with that, nothing meant to be said about the general aspects of various nationalities in former Yugoslavia.

NotThatDuncan
Member # 1381

- posted      Profile for NotThatDuncan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was UEFAs decision to exclude Yugoslavia received? Were people outraged or was it more like "good riddance, it wasn't our national team, anyway".
Posts: 135 | From: A State of Denial | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darko Pancev, legend or joke?
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q for PPV - are your panel three people who left "Yugoslavia" before, during, or after the war(s)?

Because the question I'd like to ask people who left before the break up is "Do you want the others nations (other than your own) that came out of Yugoslavia to do well in international competition or badly? All of them, or some of them, and which?"

Then I'd like to ask the same question to a panel of people who fled the area during the war. And then again to a panel of people who still live in their respective countries.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

That's an interesting point, ad hoc.

I and the Serbian guy I have in mind are both born here. The Bosniak came in the 90's.

Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you a benny tied to a tree?
benny?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC