This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » boxing day roundup (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: boxing day roundup
Impact Substitute
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Impact Substitute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rennie is a terrible referee and should not be officiating at that, or any other, level. His handling of games is regularly poor and there's no end to the mishaps. The incident at last season's Newcastle - West Ham game should have seen him struck off the elite list (refs at lower levels would have been demoted for good) yet he's still around.
Posts: 1074 | From: a whisper to a scream | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is it about teams who cannot win away? I mean for fuck's sake, three away wins would have put us top. How can a coach journey make such a difference?
Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The incident at last season's Newcastle - West Ham game should have seen him struck off the elite list (refs at lower levels would have been demoted for good) yet he's still around.

Why? Is it tokenism on the FA's part?

[ 27.12.2007, 01:01: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Impact Substitute
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Impact Substitute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why. Referees in the second and third tiers would not be able to make as many stupid mistakes and regularly underperform without suffering the consequences (promotion to top division halted and/or demotion to a lower level). Premiership referees don't appear to pay the price for mistakes, particularly Uriah Rennie. It took a number of major errors before Andy D'urso got demoted, and when Mark Clattenburg was dumped into the Championship last season for a number of poor performances, he had a howler at Cardiff - Leeds, only to swiftly return to the Premiership.

The top refs are untouchable it seems.

Posts: 1074 | From: a whisper to a scream | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
again watched by another 6000 travelling fans...

North Stand capacity is 5000 mate. It certainly felt like they were 6000 at my local before the game. A lot more quiet after the game mind you...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over 7,000 at the Abbey Janik?

A fairly good point for Wednesday at Turf Moor. We're pretty shit at the moment though. It's going to be a long last five months of the season, with loads of injuries and probably Whelan and Simek being sold off this month too.

Some good news around though in Peterboro' losing to the 92nd club in the league.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The incident at last season's Newcastle - West Ham game should have seen him struck off the elite list (refs at lower levels would have been demoted for good) yet he's still around.

Demoting refs permanently doesn't happen often these days. Since Paul Taylor became the first ref to regain his place on the league list after being struck off in the nineties, the powers that be have realised that officials form can fluctuate as much as the players.

Why? Is it tokenism on the FA's part?

I don't think it is. Rennie earned his place on the Premier League list. On his way up the leagues, he was that good. The only ref I've seen on their way up who was better was Howard Webb. Rennie's problem was that he changed his style from what had earned his place on the list in the first place (a common sense style) to being card happy (which was how Philip Don tended to judge a performance on). He also let his Premier League status go to his head (by becoming the first ref to get himself an agent and endorsement contracts). As far as tokenism is concerned, I think he's just managed to deliver what the head of assessors wants in terms of number of cards. He dished out just over two per game the season Keith Hackett took over Don and told the elite list he wanted fewer cards.

If tokenism did exist, then Joe Ross (the other black official in recent times) wouldn't have been booted off the league list eighteen months ago for consistently poor games. Losing the race discrimination case against Gurnham Singh hurt the referee selectors badly, but they don't seem to be trying to over-compensate as a result. If anything, Jarnail Singh would probably be the used as a token if he joined the elite list, but he's moving as slowly as everyone else of his age and ability is (he's crap).

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is it about teams who cannot win away? I mean for fuck's sake, three away wins would have put us top. How can a coach journey make such a difference?

I don't think it's the coach journey. There is a mental block somewhere. There's also the concern that Magilton hasn't got a clue when things are going wrong. Our home form is already showing signs of faltering, and with a lot of the top sides yet to visit Fortress Portman Road, I'm starting to think that the rest of the season could be very long indeed.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were shit again. Absolutely terrible and, sadly, I feel we're already doomed.
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chorley beat Bamber Bridge 2-1 thanks to a last minute winner, and our goalie saved a penalty. The winner was a beauty - a long ball over the top which Burke nudged past the goalie and towards the net. A defender took a despairing swipe at it, only to smash the ball into the roof of the net. After jumping around for about half a minute, I looked over and saw that he still had his boot tangled up in the net. Merry Christmas indeed.

That was our first away win since Easter Monday, against a side who beat us 4-1 just three weeks ago and who lie second in the table, well above FCUM. More importantly, we have taken seven points from nine and are out of the bottom two for the first time in months. Looks like we might stay up this season.

Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ashley cole and carvalho sent off. What the fuck happened?
You know what, I still have no idea.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
missed carvalho's two footed challenge then.

one to add to the dalliance hall of shame.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cole's will get rescinded on appeal, won't it?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first sight I thought it was handball.
looked pretty unlucky on slow motion.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The cantering captain
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for The cantering captain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rennie was teh ref for Scunthorpe - Hull, he was piss poor then as well.
Posts: 1476 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC