This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Gaizka Mendieta (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gaizka Mendieta
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the story with him up at Middlesbrough? He's one of my favourite players of the last ten years, and yet he can't get anywhere near Boro's otherwise appallingly boring team. What did he say or do to upset everyone so?
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He must be quite old, now I guess, and he never looked the fittest. He was indeed an amazing player in his prime, though.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey, I've just checked and he's exactly one year older than me. So, judging by the fact that I expect to reach my footballing peak in the near future, he's absolutely in his prime.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lodzubelieveit
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Lodzubelieveit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching him v Sevilla in the Sanchez Pizjuan circa 2001, looking absolutely a worldbeater ... such a shame that he's reduced to this ...
Posts: 830 | From: Madrid | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He lost interest, presumably because he was financially set for life.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Namechanger (for that is your new name and only one henceforth), how do you remain interested in football when you play for Middlesbrough?
It's a contradiction, football and Middlesbrough.

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read it implied that he had a massive falling out with Southgate who is refusing to pick him despite Boro's obvious deficiencies.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heston Bee
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for Heston Bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met him once in Select-a-disc in Berwick Street, I think that was his last season at Valencia actually, 2000-2001, before he went to Italy (Lazio ?) and then Barca where he played some games at left-back; the two moves seemed to totally destroy him. One of my absolutely favourite players.
Posts: 1493 | From: Loondoon | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was on loan at Barca (from Lazio), as he was for his first year at Boro. He was never the same after he left Valencia. Injuries certainly played their part, but it is hard not to wonder if there was something more to his precipitous decline.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

quote:
I met him once in Select-a-disc in Berwick Street
I wonder if he has good music taste. Did you see what he had, or does anyone know any fanciful rumours that he's a massive minimal techno fan or anything?
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that he's a fan of The Pixies and The Velvet Underground, but I can't find any reference to it online.
Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnb098mnb
Member # 1484

- posted      Profile for mnb098mnb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He used to have his own music radio show when he was at Valencia.
Posts: 431 | From: Bracknell | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sid Lowe discussed his fate at length in a recent Guardian Football Weekly podcast. He is a huge "rock" music fan and indeed had a very popular radio show in Valencia. Lowe said that he was heartbroken to leave Valencia and really didn't want to play for Lazio and descended from there into a downward spiral. Aparently he'll retire at the end of the season. Middlesborough also have Fabio Rochemback sitting in their reserves, another great waste of talent.
Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to Fabricio Collocini as well.

Another supposed 'rising star' who I can't find anything about. Indeed, the first few results in a Google search bring up advice to make sure you buy him in Championship Manager 03/04.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coloccini's big problem was that he was shite.

Aiden McGeady ripped him to shreds at Celtic Park more than three years ago. McGeady was about 17 at the time, but it was made very easy for him that night. He couldn't have asked for a more amenable introduction to Champions League football.

Didn't see too much more of Coloccini and his ludicrous hairstyle after another handful of awful performances for Argentina at the Confederations Cup in Germany.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC