This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » shakes head in disbelief...thinks for a moment..shrugs shoulders (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: shakes head in disbelief...thinks for a moment..shrugs shoulders
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
''Footballer Joey Barton arrested for assault following all-night drinking session

Footballer Joey Barton arrested for assault
The career of shamed England footballer Joey Barton was in jeopardy again after he was arrested over an alleged assault following an all-night drinking session.

The Newcastle United midfielder spent yesterday in police cells after being picked up in the early hours following his team's 1-0 defeat at Wigan Athletic.

The incident is the latest in a string of scandals involving Barton, 25, who is regularly in trouble on and off the pitch. He is currently awaiting trial over a training ground fight with a team-mate at his former club Manchester City.

According to police sources, Barton was spotted on CCTV cameras in his home-town of Liverpool allegedly 'acting aggressively and bouncing from one group of people to another, apparently looking for a fight' at around 5.30am.

Officers were called and found two men who had allegedly attacked by Barton, whose brother Michael, 18, was convicted of the racist murder black A-level student Anthony Walker, and two of his companions.

They claimed they were assaulted by the footballer during a 'scuffle' outside a mobile phone shop on Church Street - the city's main pedestrianised shopping thoroughfare.

Last night police refused to reveal exactly what injuries the pair suffered or whether they needed hospital treatment.

However, a spokeswoman for Merseyside police confirmed that a 25-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of assault, as well as a 19-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman.

Barton was allowed time to rest before officers began questioning him at Liverpool's St Anne Street police station yesterday evening. He was also expected to be tested for illegal drugs.

Barton, who earns 45,000-a-week, is believed to have been partying with friends in his native city after being ruled out of Newcastle's match on Wednesday night with an ankle injury.

It was unclear whether the player had been given special permission to stay in the North West by manager Sam Allardyce or had been out against the club's wishes. The rest of the Newcastle team travelled back to the North East after the game and reported for morning training as usual. ''

apologies to anyone who had to suffer this in music thread...

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were wondering on the radio why he was not in the line up yesterday, guess this explains it - I am feeling a bit of dejavu...
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best deal of the year for us, selling that lad. If he was only as good as he is in his head, and wasn't such a destructive character.
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hes been truly shocking for us...in mitigation he lost around 3 months through injury but even so...

mouthed off against the support and has previous on saying it as he sees it...which is fine if you can back it up on the pitch but...

saw quotes from him even taking credit for Man Citys turn around this season...

a truly troubled person and on the evidence so far not good enough on the pitch to live up to the publicity he freely gives...

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best non deal of the year for us. Whoever thought he might have fitted into the current Goodison set-up must have been several chemicals over a legal quotient.
I'll take Phil 'interesting' Neville over the BartonFink any day of the week.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever thought he might have fitted into the current Goodison set-up must have been several chemicals over a legal quotient.

-

pic of three-eyed fish removed at the request of the site where the pic was linked from.

[ 31.12.2007, 14:05: Message edited by: Admin 5 ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, that's ace.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

there were some of us who thought that there was new area of professionalism at SJP when wasters like of Dyer were pedalled under a manager who had a reputation of organised team work if not creative football..

still hes managed to keep the not creative football bit...

Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'n mot looking to kick a supporter when he's down, ale, but a quote from Allardyce in today's 'Independent' really did it for me.

"No disrespect to Derby or Wigan but a club like ours really needs to be beating teams like this if we are going to (blah blah blah)..."

Unbelievable groundless arrogance. Why exactly is it supposedly expected of Newcastle to beat Derby or Wigan? What legacy has Newcastle alledgedly created so that clubs like that can be summarily dismissed as cannon fodder?

As a supporter of a club who has a certain section of fans with unrealistic aspirations I know what bullshit is, but if a City manager ever talked like this I'd be mortified.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

you may be right and I suspect it would be futile trawling the archives looking for similar comments from the Man City managers who oversaw the descent to the old Division 3 ...or even those who masterminded the return...

but I doubt it..either way Im sure each & all would have given quotes to the effect that this club should have done better/was back where it belonged...

anyway this is the most worrying of Allardyces quotes from yesterday:

"I'm a top man in my field and I know it's not good enough''

Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might be right about ex-City bosses, ale, but there was something about Allardyce's quotes that really pissed me off.

Wouldn't you think he'd just be careful about what he says? However from the quote you mention above it's clear he believes that such humility is for lesser mortals.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't Derby and Wigan the bottom 2 in the table, when Newcastle played them. If so, then surely he's right that his team should be beating them, whether that team is Newcastle, Arsenal or Middlesbrough.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But how would fans react if Allardyce said the opposite?

One of the Celtic managers, Lou Macari I think, upset the green & white hordes one time when he said something about a draw at Falkirk (?) not being a bad result because they were a good side and it was a difficult place to go and win, or words to that effect.

I'm not in the position of having to watch Newcastle week after week, so mostly I defer to those that do, but I don't really understand the current fuss. Newcastle have won as many games as they've lost this season, they're not going to go down and they're not going to win owt. Sometimes chairmen are unfairly criticised for short-termism in situations where short-termism is necessary, but Newcastle are in a position where they can afford to be patient. And I'd have thought Allardyce's track record was such that he deserves that patience.

But, I know nowt.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a truly troubled person
Ha ha ha! I bet his former Man City colleague had exactly that thought too, when he got that lighted cigarette stubbed into his face.
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am i the only one who wonders as to the ethnecicity of thepeople allegedly attacked.
Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC