This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Phil O'Donnell (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Phil O'Donnell
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect it's just better record keeping anyway, a lot of the more recent ones are overseas in sometimes minor leagues we wouldn't have paid much attention to in decades gone by.
Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a minute's applause for Phil before the Hull v Sheffield Wednesday game.

For him to have died more or less on the field of play seems like unspeakable cruelty.

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually think the opposite was true. If you're going to die at the age of 35, then surely it's better that you go out while doing something you love, rather than walking in front of a bus or accidentally electrocuting yourself at home or whatever.

I think there's something kind of nice about the fact that O'Donnell spent his last hour on the planet playing his heart out for his hometown club. If a man is going to be taken from his family several decades before his time, then at least in this particular case he died while engaged in what he enjoyed most.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I always think of Gonzo as Pakistani or Indian? I seem to remember someone pointing it out to me.

Not that it's impotant, like, but every time he does one of his horror shows here I get an image of a Scooby Doo version of Apu.

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe I'm weird, but I actually think the opposite was true. If you're going to die at the age of 35, then surely it's better that you go out while doing something you love, rather than walking in front of a bus or accidentally electrocuting yourself at home or whatever.
No, it's not weird, I agree.
Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Impact Substitute
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Impact Substitute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible news, may he rest in peace.

O'Donnell played in my only visit to Parkhead back in 1997. He was a well-liked individual, as his efforts on the pitch were always clear to all. I can recall an Old Firm, I think it was New Years 1996 in a 0-0 draw, when he was the best player on the pitch. He had a great run of form under Venglos in 1998/99 when he started scoring quite frequently too.

Gonzo: You are a cretin and a fucking disgrace.

Posts: 1074 | From: a whisper to a scream | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportinguista
Member # 1693

- posted      Profile for sportinguista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gonzo: You are a cretin and a fucking disgrace.
I bet in his head he's Hunter S. Thompson or something.

Anyway, rest in peace, Phil O'Donnell.

Posts: 995 | From: my Valladolid exile | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dances with sheep
Member # 486

- posted      Profile for dances with sheep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sergeant, I see where you are coming from and I do agree to a large extent. The cruelty for me is to have your dying moments played out in front of thousands of people. The front cover of today's News of the World today featured O'Donnell prostrate on the Fir Park pitch, eyes glazed over. Not the most wonderful thing for his family to see.

I think everyone would be glad for Gonzo to delete his shamefully inappropriate posts on this thread.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the NOTW (or The Sun) get all kinds of grief for a similar picture of Marc Vivien Foe?

Have they no shame? (rhetorical question, of course).

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dances with sheep
Member # 486

- posted      Profile for dances with sheep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Ursus. They showed *some* restraint this morning in not showing a tight close up of his face.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What purpose does Bonzo serve, apart from giving everyone something to be glad about when we look in the mirror? Is it an act by a supreme troll, or does he fucking exist in real life like that, and if so, how hasn't he been either twatted, arrested or sacked from something that gives him gainful employment?
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh leave him alone.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike toreno
Member # 1509

- posted      Profile for mike toreno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awful, awful news. It's difficult to comprehend that someone I saw play (superbly, as it happens)just a few weeks ago is now dead.

RIP

Posts: 513 | From: a gosh-forsaken heckhole | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys- the reaction to Gonzo here is over the top. 'Some Rangers fans are sectarian bigots' and 'bloke most of ye have never heard of dies', basically. Calm down, eh?
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fucking, fucking hell. What an appalling year this has been for people passing before their time.

A few thoughts:

- I think O'Donnell's demise is far crueller on his family than on him - not least for David Clarkson, who scored two goals in the game and then saw his uncle collapse and never regain consciousness.

- The 'journeyman' tag, quite apart for being grossly inappropriate for this thread, is also hugely inaccurate. O'Donnell had the talent, he just had no luck whatsoever with injuries.

- As for naming part of Fir Park after him, the ground tragically already has The Davie Cooper Stand, in honour of another 'Well player who died far too young.

- Those nasty Rangers fans have made capital out of O'Donnell's demise by, er, paying tribute to him like everybody else. Witness the scene outside Fir Park earlier today:

-

For those unfamiliar with the colours of Scottish sides, aside from Motherwell's claret and amber you can see shirts and scarves from Hibs, Celtic, Rangers and Hamilton Accies.

RIP Uncle Phil.

Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duncan, that's not just a defense of the indefensible, it's a surreally inaccurate one.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC