This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Japan 2008 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Japan 2008
Furtho
Member # 902

- posted      Profile for Furtho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to do some regular updates on various levels of the Japanese scene throughout this calendar year and will put them all in this thread to avoid clogging the place up.

The start of the 2008 season is two months away now, but on New Year's Day champions Kashima Antlers claimed a 2007 league and cup double by beating Sanfrecce Hiroshima 2-0 in the Emperor's Cup Final. This followed on from their sensational last-gasp snatching of the J1 title from long-time frontrunners and Asian Champions League winners Urawa Reds at the beginning of December.

46,357 people at the National Stadium in Tokyo saw teenage defender Atsuto Uchida give Kashima an eighth-minute lead, after which the result was barely in doubt against the relegated Sanfrecce. Nevertheless, despite their superiority, it took Oswaldo de Oliveira's men until the 89th minute to clinch it thanks to Danilo's finish, following good work from midfield playmaker Mitsuo Ogasawara.

-

Japan's top club side, it's Kashima Antlers

One thing I'll be doing between now and the big kick-off at the beginning of March is posting pictures of some of the best / worst / most interesting Japanese kits. Only a few teams have so far unveiled their updated 2008 designs, Kashima being one of them and the National Team being the another:

-

Kashima Antlers away

-

Japan home

If there are any requests for images of any particular club shirts to be added, just let me know and it should be no problem to oblige.

[ 25.03.2008, 17:25: Message edited by: Furtho ]

Posts: 2913 | From: The Slow Lane | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtho
Member # 902

- posted      Profile for Furtho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rosso Kumamoto have announced that they will change their name following promotion to J2 from the third-tier JFL. In an in-no-way-clumsy modification, the Kyushu-based club - who have their roots in corporate football as a local representative side connected to Japanese telecomms giant NTT and were previously known as Alouette Kumamoto - will now be known as Roasso Kumamoto. The reason for that all-important additional 'a' is thought to relate to copyright reasons regarding existing J-League giants Urawa Reds.

-

Before...

-

... and after

Posts: 2913 | From: The Slow Lane | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dont know why, but that Japan shirt is superb.
Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnb098mnb
Member # 1484

- posted      Profile for mnb098mnb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if anyone's interested in this but I've scanned in an article from "International Football Book No 13" from 1971. It has an interview with Japanese striker Kamamoto in it. It mainly covers Japan's bronze medal at the '68 Olympics.

http://www.milkthebridge.co.uk/pics/japan1.jpg
http://www.milkthebridge.co.uk/pics/japan2.jpg
http://www.milkthebridge.co.uk/pics/japan3.jpg
http://www.milkthebridge.co.uk/pics/japan4.jpg
http://www.milkthebridge.co.uk/pics/japan5.jpg

Posts: 431 | From: Bracknell | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Furtho, explain this to me. Every time I watch J-league - and it doesn't really matter which teams are playing because apart from the Reds I can't tell 'em apart anyway - I think to myself: lots of discipline, bags of pace, the passing is not bad: but these clowns collectively have the kind of first touches that make David Bellion look like Zidane.

Am I wrong in pin-pointing this as a weakness of the Japanese game? It seems like such a strange thing at which to be collectively so bad. And why can't it be improved?

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtho
Member # 902

MNB, thanks very much for posting those links - no-one else might be interested in the article, but I most definitely am. Kunishige Kamamoto is a legend in the Japanese game, the national team's top scorer of all time - and the 1968 Olympics was, not surprisingly, the peak of his career. It's fascinating to see a pretty substantial contemporary piece about him in English. Thanks again for going to the trouble.

AG, to be honest that seems to me to be something of a puzzling observation. The two main negative characteristics that from time to time strike me about J-League football are, (1) from a British perspective most especially, it can be a bit polite and unphysical, and, (2) the goalkeeping tends to be a bit dodgy. But poor technique? Obviously, by definition things are better the higher up the league you go, but as a general criticism I've never heard that one before.

Anyway, all this gives me the opportunity to post a couple of nice Youtube clips - the November and October J-League goals of the month.

Jamzinho
Member # 442

- posted      Profile for Jamzinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks like it should be a very interesting thread, I find Japanese Football very interesting, particularly their fan culture but obviously the language is a tricky point to negotiate!

I also think the new Japan shirt is very easy on the eye.

If one was looking to adopt a Japanese team, is there any particular team that you might want to avoid?

Final question, who was the team in Yellow that scored first in the October GOTM competition?

Posts: 220 | From: Coventry | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtho
Member # 902

Thanks, Jamzinho. I hope it will turn out to be an interesting year.

As regards choosing a J-League team to follow, I will confess to more than a little bias on the subject, but would you have any particular criteria that might guide or influence your selection (big team / little team / favourite colours / comedy name, etc.)?

The first goal in the October clip was scored by Franca, Kashiwa Reysol's Brazilian forward.

Furtho
Member # 902

While we're about it, here are the J-League Goal of the Month clips for September , August, (there weren't any J1 games in July), June, May, April and March of 2007.
Furtho
Member # 902

An interesting and long-running story about one of the very few ethnic Okinawans to play for the Japanese national team.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 at 07:06 EDT

KAWASAKI J-League club Kawasaki Frontale has voluntarily suspended striker Kazuki Ganaha for violating the league's anti-doping code, officials of the first-division side said Wednesday.

Ganaha was found to have violated J-League rules by taking an intravenous injection of nutritional supplement from the team doctor after a training session held Monday. The Japan international did not play in Kawasaki's 3-0 win at home to South Korea's Chunnam Dragons in the Asian Champions League on Wednesday.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 at 05:00 EDT

TOKYO The J-League imposed a six-match ban on Kawasaki Frontale striker Kazuki Ganaha on Tuesday for violating the league's anti-doping code by taking an intravenous injection. The J-League also fined Kawasaki 10 million yen after the revelation last month that the doctor of the first-division club injected nutritional supplement to Ganaha after a training session on April 23.

Ganaha, 26, did not take a banned substance but intravenous infusions of any kind are banned by both soccer's world governing body FIFA and the J-League, which changed its rules before the current season to comply with the World Anti-Doping Agency regulations.

-

Guess who?

LONDON, Jan 7 (Reuters)

Japan striker Kazuki Ganaha has asked the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to overturn a ban imposed on him for taking a garlic intravenous infusion.

Ganaha was suspended for six games last year and his club Kawasaki Frontale fined for administering the IV drip to cure influenza, in violation of the J-League's anti-doping rules. "I have entrusted the appeal procedure to the hands of my lawyers," the 27-year-old told reporters on Monday. "I hope for a swift decision to the case."

Although Ganaha did not take a banned substance, intravenous treatment is banned by Japan's domestic league in line with world soccer's governing body FIFA.

[ 07.01.2008, 15:10: Message edited by: Furtho ]

Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize Okinawans were ethnically different from Japanese. What's their background? Are they polynesian?
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtho
Member # 902

That's a difficult one, AG - certainly I understand that there have long been connections between the Ryukyu Islands, to give them their historical name, and various parts of South-east Asia. The southern part of the archipelago is closer to Manila than even the nearest part of mainland Japan, never mind Tokyo, and Okinawa was more or less an independent country until the 1870s. There is also considerable debate as to whether the various strands of Okinawan comprise a dialect of Japanese or are actually a separate language. Certainly (scientifically valid sample coming right up) Mrs F as a Saitama gal professes herself unable to understand Okinawan people.
Furtho
Member # 902

With about six weeks to go before the start of the 2008 J-League season, many Japanese clubs are now holding press conferences to introduce to the media any new signings made so far this winter, to launch their new kits and, almost equally importantly, to unveil their official slogans for the year ahead. Among the first to show their hand were J2 outfit Ehime FC, who are hoping that STRONG WILL inspires them to greater heights than did their previous two mottos, SPEED & AGGRESSIVE (2006) and ACTION & MOVING (2007).

-

The new home kit

-

L-R: Home, Away, Goalkeeper Home, Goalkeeper Away

-

Woohoo! Graphic design

[Edit] Ah, and it looks like fellow second division side Montedio Yamagata have been doing the same sort of thing, too.

-

That slogan in full

-

The Mountain Gods' new signings, stuffed full of determination

[ 18.01.2008, 23:09: Message edited by: Furtho ]

SamLKelly
Member # 6163

- posted      Profile for SamLKelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to make the time to follow this thread through the season, if only to see what the other slogans are like...

Are they always in English?

Posts: 355 | From: Exiled in North Somerset | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andy_ollers
Member # 12492

- posted      Profile for andy_ollers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting thread, I've caught a couple of J league games (highlights) on TV and the crowds always seem so passionate, I've always thought that I would like to see a game over there. Would have to remortgage the house tho!

I've never heard of teams having slogans, pretty unique I guess. Some great kits as well!

Andy
www.roadtowembley.blogspot.com

Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC