This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  51  52  53   
Author Topic: alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But if Inca had created it already, I'd mention Figo is possibly headed to the Galaxy, and suggest it'll be taking the piss if LA basically ends up with three designated players.

Also, the Fire's coaching search is getting more depressing by the day. We'll be interviewing Bryan Robson soon at this rate.

[ 11.02.2008, 22:10: Message edited by: goldstone97 ]

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or not. Sounds like nonsense to me. You would think if Figo were going anywhere in the MLS it would be to Toronto.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color.

Humor.

Soccer.

There, I've christened the thread.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Figo-to-MLS rumor has been around for a while, but it's always involved him going to NY/NJ, in part because of the giant Portuguese population in the area around the new stadium. JV can enlighten us further.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got a quarter million Portugeezers in Toronto. Beat that, eastern new Jersey!

I would, however, be shocked if Mo though Figo were the way to go.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like the Toronto and NYC Portuguese populations are similar: 115k Portuguese speakers in Toronto (Wikipedia) and about 150k in the NYC area (US census).

The real winner, however, is New England. 160k in Mass, another 40k in Rhode Island. Doubt the Krafts are going to pony up for Figo, though.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

Since we're officially on a new year's thread, can I ask how the various systems of drafts work? I tried playing FM 2008 to figure it out (TFC are absurdly and unnaturally good) but just got more confused. Am I right in thinking that there are three drafts a year - a waiver draft, a "regular" draft, and a supplemental draft? I understand the regular draft (or, in ghastly MLS terms, the SuperDraft) because I'm a North American male and every sport I've ever had has one of those. But how does the waiver draft work? And the supplemental draft?
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That article saying the Figo-to-AEG rumour is nonsense because the Galaxy don't have two DP spots is a bit of nonsense itself. Would anyone really be surprised if a deal went down to move Houston's spot to LA so they could sign Figo?

The point it makes -- "Houston is also unlikely to add a high profile player to their roster. The club has won back to back MLS titles, and with their entire team returning for the 2008 season, it is unlikely the Dynamo will risk upsetting team chemistry by adding an aging player, even if it is someone with the talent of a Luis Figo" -- gives a good reason for exactly why Houston would trade the spot, if they're not going to use it anyway, not to mention the inbred nature of the relationship between the teams.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a beautiful mess my team will be.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AG: Waiver draft happened last month, it comes at the end of the season and no team took anyone. The supplemental draft I think is done right after the regular one, and I have no idea what the difference is anymore. Regular draft is the 18th I think here in Baltimore.

For the record, DC got about $750,000 from Valerenga for Troy Perkins. Good, 3 cheap defenders and a cheaper midfielder.

If you really really feel the need to buy Eddie Gaven a wedding present, now you can. Unfortunately, talent isn't listed.

Andy Dorman is gone gone, to St. Mirren. Also, one of the latest names to be attached to the Galaxy is Darren Huckerby.

RSL's trying to sell off naming rights to their stadium.

[ 02.01.2008, 23:00: Message edited by: jefe ]

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

I'm disapppointed, jefe. I was hoping we could get rid of about half our squad via trhe waiver draft.

OK, tell me if I have the DP rule and the Galaxy situation correct:

Everybody gets one spot now, correct? But the spot is a liquid asset and can be traded. So if Houston (or whoever) trades a DP spot, it can never get it back except via another trade, is that it? Has such a trade yet been made anywhere?

I also seem to recall a lot of talk (probably here on OTF though I can't be bothered to look it up) about how there was a need to move to a 2-DP rule to accomodate the Galaxy - this had something to do with Landon Donovan. But he's not a DP is he?

Inca
Member # 675

Correct, he is not a DP. Neither is El Pescadito or Eddie Johnson.
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Dorman and his pseudo-Welsh connection back in the UK we're left with just Robinson and Toronto to support on this side of Offah's Dyke then.
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

AG, Chivas traded their DP spot to Red Bull New York for Amado Guevara. Which didn't work out so well for them.

The reason why there was debate about the need for MLS to move to a 2-DP rule to accommodate Donovan was it wasn't known if MLS would extend the "grandfathering in" of Donovan and the two other players Inca mentions. But MLS decided to extend that instead of introducing two DPs (or forcing LA to dump Donovan), to the chagrin of many who feel this is favouritism to AEG.

goldstone97
Member # 4318

Bruce Arena's name is now being bandied around for the Fire job (though I think it's unlikely). I guess he's a "name", but I'm not convinced he'd have the dedication to build a strong MLS team.
  This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC