This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  51  52  53   
Author Topic: alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When are your fixtures out?
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have already announced the fixtures for the first couple of weeks of the season. The rest will be released in a few weeks, I think.

Yes, MLS is weird.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it actually some kind of English county league, or something? A reserve league, maybe? For Pete's sake, honestly.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea is, I think, to draw more attention by doing it in two stages. The offseason is quite long, and MLS gets little publicity (unless it's about Beckham), so they do what they can.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

Seems odd, but ok. I want to know the August fixtures.
goldstone97
Member # 4318

You headed Stateside then or something?
TonTon
Member # 41

Almost, and maybe - there's a family wedding taking place sometime, in Toronto. I probably can't afford it, but I thought it might be a chance to take in a game at the BMO Field.
goldstone97
Member # 4318

Would be a good place to see an MLS match, atmosphere-wise. The stadium isn't great, but the location's nice.

The football will be terrible, though, if Mo Johnston's still in charge at TFC.

TonTon
Member # 41

I watch semi-pro football every week, though. It'd be fine.
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SocScrim, I can enlighten you about the Portuguese population of Newark, but I ain't enlightening shit about the RedBallz because they can burn in hell.

But if you have google earth, 40˚44'09.21N 74˚09'28.70W is the site of the new stadium. That whole abandoned area is technically in Harrison (another great soccer community with numerous state titles,) but it's right across the river from the Ironbound.

Drag your mouse downwards across the river, and you'll see a triangle of streets that end at Newark Penn Station. That's the Ironbound, the highest concentration of Portuguese in the USA other than Boston (also quite Brasilian these days as well.) They would probably go nuts for Figo.

North of that is the new Devils arena.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scotian42
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Scotian42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One reason the full season fixtures take so long to determine is that many teams share their stadiums with other pro (or, in KC's case this year, minor league) sports teams, and tend to have second choice of times. Some teams will need to wait until all other fixures are determined before they can shoe-horn the MLS fixtures around gridiron, baseball, etc.
Posts: 252 | From: The Before Time, in the Long, Long Ago | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

do all your sports take ages to sort their fixtures out, then?
Scotian42
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Scotian42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. But the key drivers here have different seasons. Gridiron is Late August-January, Baseball is late March-October/Early November, and MLS is March-November.

Baseball Schedules for 2008 were released in December. But the Gridiron schedules won't be out for awhile, since the current season is still going (in the playoffs at this point).

Posts: 252 | From: The Before Time, in the Long, Long Ago | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I watch semi-pro football every week, though. It'd be fine.
Hey! No cracks. You shall have the finest seat in section 221 and you'll enjoy it.

And anyway, MLS is more League One than semi-pro.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And anyway, MLS is more League One than semi-pro.
Talk about damning with faint praise.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC