This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread (Page 27)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  51  52  53   
Author Topic: alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must respectfully decline AG, random Wednesdays in May just won't fly. We're done with you before memorial day, though, which is odd. In fact, the more I look at DC's schedule it's really quite bizarre in some aspects.
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gramsci, there's nothing wrong with the venue; it's the ersatz team that is currently inhabiting Giants Stadium that is the problem.

Anyone who was there in '94 (especially for Italy-Ireland) or in the heyday of the Cosmos will attest to the venue's potential for magic.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For once the Galaxy are not being sent on a horrible road trip that seems like Masaccio's Expulsion from the Garden of Eden. Sure, there are the X-Games at HDC in the summer and a stretch of only games on the road from July 19 to August 14, but that last game is against Chivas, so not really a road game, and the game before that is at San Jose 11 days earlier. The start of it is the roughest--at NY on July 19, then the All-Star Game on July 24 (Lando and Becks most likely gone), and then at Dallas only three days later. But that's actually only four road games--nothing like the Beckham road show from last season.

[ 07.02.2008, 21:15: Message edited by: Inca ]

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Giants Stadium is a dreadful place to watch a football match because it's so empty and because they won`t take the goddamn gridiron markings off the field. If, as in '94, you could get rid of those two problems, then I'm sure it would be alright. Not happening in this league, I don`t think.

Too bad, jefe. I was kind of hoping I might be able to time a trip to DC to coincide with our match there in April but that's not looking good, either. Next year.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or Real Madrid-Roma in '01. The game was a horrific 0-0, but all 70,000 went home happy just for one triple move Zizou pulled off in the first half.

The problem is Giants Stadium is built for Barcelona, Man Utd, or any G-14 team. The sightlines are perfect from any seat.

The thing is, when the bottom ring is filled, it's still a great stadium with a great atmosphere. The upper deck just looks like part of the architecture. But when the lower ring is empty, Ooh-fah.

I'm just waiting to see the endgame for the RedBalls, especially that Dynamo Kev has banned me from Philly.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dynamo Kev
Member # 1119

- posted      Profile for Dynamo Kev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JV- I had tickets to that Real match, but missed my one chance to see Zizou live because a computer virus outbreak at work. I completely forgot about that until just now..
Posts: 318 | From: the town of birds in the Garden State | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MLS management seems to be taking Superliga much more seriously this year. Apart from an initial Chivas match early in the month, none of the participants (DC, NE, CHV, HOU) play ANY league matches in July.

As for DC, we're through with our usually lethal trips to altitude by the 6th match of the season, both matches with RSL done in the first 5. We see Toronto 2nd, 9th, and 10th (the last 2 Wed-Sat) and are finished with them before May ends. And then there's this lovely stretch: 9/6 @SJ, 9/13 FCD, 9/20 @LA, 9/28 (Sun) @FCD. 3 straight transcontinental flights are bad enough. And CONCACAF Champions League in midweek starts after the home Dallas match and runs through the end of the regular season, the last 4 games of which are Chivas, at HOU, NE, at CLB.

Our Beckham match is Sunday, June 29 at noon. The unusual start time in order to create the world's oddest doubleheader on ABC of DC-LA, then the Euro 2008 final. No ABC match on opening day to allow for this.

3 postmatch nuggets from USA-Mexico: 1. Someone felt the need to start shooting people in the parking lot after the game. 2. Mexican fans were shining lasers in Tim Howard's face at different times. 3. $3million from ticket sales alone to the USSF, 70,131 attendance.

In minor league news, the USL wants to put a USL1 team in Edmond Oklahoma, the OKC burbs, for 2009 to join Austin Aztex. They're also talking to Omaha, San Antonio, and Phoenix.

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MX/TacGenius was there as well. It was a pretty absurd experience. This teenage kid we went with had this girlfriend with two huge, you know. They were sitting behind us. There was this crew of Italian New Yorkers sitting in front of us who were hilarious, making fun of the opera singer who sung the national anthems. They started chanting Enrico Palazzo - Enrico Palazzo - after the opera singer from Naked Gun.

So all of a sudden the teenage asswipe we went with reaches over and screams at them "Stop starting at my girlfriend's tits !" For no Reason. At that point they turned around, looked him up and down, decided he wasn't worth one thought, and started chanting "ENRICO-PALAZZO !!" again.

The girlfriend started crying and ran out of the seats, so we all had to look for them after they didn't come back. I was with my future wife, walking through the corridors, and then some player from Farleigh Dickinson started walking towards her - looking her up and down - and said "AY MÁMÍ !!!" I grabbed her and shuffled her off like security through the paprazzi while saying "WHOA."

So the moral of the story is don't falsely accuse someone of starting at your woman's mammary glands; and if they are guilty of that, hustle her the fuck outta town and don't say a word until you're outta danger (that definitely helped a few years later in Portugal, with the Portuguese cops and Swat Teams.)

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortune shits on us again. My bet is Jimmy Brennan will retire from international football as a result of this - he skipped the Gold Cup last year for the same reason.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

In the first leg of CONCACAF qualification, El Salvador 12 - Anguilla 0. That is not a misprint.

According to RSL, the MLS Open Cup qualifying process breaks down like this. April 30 they entertain San Jose. Winner of that plays at Columbus. Winner of that plays Chicago to be put into the 3rd round draw. The other qualifier path is therefore likely to be winner of LA-Colorado playing KC to qualify fully (I guess is how to put it?). Everyone else-DC,NE,CHV,HOU,NY,DAL-go straight in.

goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latest expansion news, looks like we'll be unbalanced again next year:
quote:
2010 or bust: MLS officials now say that the possibility for expansion for 2009 is pretty much nil.

Previously, Commissioner Don Garber had hedged a bit, hoping that Philadelphia, still slightly ahead in a two-horse expansion race, or St. Louis might be able to dot enough I's and cross enough T's in their respective bid efforts to get something done in time for 2009. That would be preferable since Seattle will join the competitive action next year and an entry from Philly or St. Louis would create a more balanced 16-team field.

Even with forward movement last month on Philadelphia's critical stadium initiative, formal acceptance doesn't seem close enough to hold out hope any longer for a 2009 first kick. In St. Louis, meanwhile, prime mover Jeff Cooper continues work to improve his group's financial heft.

Both communities are ahead of the field, which remains fluid but still basically includes the usual 8-10 candidates everybody has talked about for some time.

Even if 2009 is out, both of the lead communities still have ample reason to reach the finish line first. About 10 million reasons, in fact. Garber has already stated that club No. 16 will pay a $30 million expansion fee. After that, Nos. 17 and 18 must pony up $40 million each.

FYI: Miami seems to be the hot new thing of late, where expansion possibilities go. But MLS officials in New York say the South Florida effort, driven hard by Miami mayor Manny Diaz, isn't necessarily any stronger at present than any of the other communities pursuing Philly and St. Louis. Miami is simply the beneficiary of good press lately, mostly owing to Diaz's aggressive courtship.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio (or whoever), can you explain the rules regarding TFC and Canadians? 1/2 the roster has to be Canuck? Do Americans count as foreigners?

Edit: And the Gomez deal has been announced. We get the Rapids' 2009 1st round pick (who cares) and the right to use their DP slot in the next three years. Goff speculates that this might be used to resign Emilio.

[ 08.02.2008, 22:13: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

The exact roster rules, in all their glory:

quote:

(A) SENIOR ROSTER
Other than at specified times during preseason or through injury situations (a player added as a season-ending injury replacement), an MLS team shall have no more than 18 senior roster players at any time. The senior roster is comprised of the following players, who all count against a team's salary budget:

1. DOMESTIC PLAYERS
A domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., has been granted refugee or asylum status).

2. SENIOR INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS*
Each team shall be allowed up to four (4) Senior International players on its roster - non-domestic players who turn 25 years or older during the season in question. Although these players can be traded by MLS teams, the Senior International slots themselves cannot be traded.

3. YOUTH INTERNATIONALS
A Youth International is a non-domestic player (i.e., non-U.S. citizen and non-green card holder) who is 24 years old or younger. At the beginning of the year in which the player is due to reach the age of 25, this player will be re-classified as a Senior International. Beginning with the 2005 MLS season, each MLS club was allotted three (3) Youth International spots. Unlike Senior International spots, all Youth International spots can be traded on a permanent or temporary basis (the slots revert to the original team in the latter case). Youth International players may be signed to Senior Roster contracts or Developmental Roster contracts (see "Developmental Roster" below).

* For Toronto FC, players with the legal right to work in Canada are considered domestic players (Canadian citizen, permanent resident, part of a protected class). Toronto FC is allowed to have four Senior Internationals, plus up to three additional Senior Internationals who qualify as a domestic for a U.S.-based MLS team Toronto FC is permitted the same number of Youth International spots as expansion teams.

In short: yes, Americans are treated as foreigners, but we get 3 more foreigners than others - provided they are American.
jefe
Member # 874

jv might be interested to know that the Philly expansion effort is now being headed up by......Nick Sakiewicz.

Further news is expected within 60-90 days.

Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many goals does Michael Bradley have now? How many straight games has he scored in?

Today against PSV:

-

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC